Dating Super Elliott frames?

tomdee

Re: Dating Super Elliott frames?

Postby tomdee » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:07 pm

Hey Brad,
Don't understand the number syst.
Yours seems like an oldy.
I am having trouble placing pics as well.
may have to talk to moderator.
What type of runing gear is on your S E ?

xl250

Postby xl250 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:52 pm

G'day Tom, Thanks for the reply. All I can tell you about the running gear is that the rims are UKAI 28x1 3/8 (steel) The head stem is possibly Malvern Star. it has the old cotter pin cranks and pedal brake which hardly works at all. The bike was found by my mum at the park next to her house while walking the dog, I had never heard of a 28 inch bike back then so I thought it would be something special to fix up. It had bent forks but I managed to get some N.O.S. from Elizabeth Star cycles. I striped it all down and done it up about 12 years ago and it still looks good. I don't really think there's an original part on it judging by the condition it was in it's just a nice old bike to cruise around on.
I also have a 28 inch commuter bike from Holland which after corresponding with a dutch bike shop I found to be made in the seventies, although it looks more like forties/fifties style. This one is I believe to be 100% complete and original with all the accessories. There's also a chrome 1980 Diamond Back BMX with SkyWay tuff wheels out in the bar room as an ornament, would you belive some one actually threw that one on the rubbish tip?
Cheers for now.
Brad.

iprocrastinator

Postby iprocrastinator » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:45 am

Picked up another SE this week...just an old roadster, nothing flash. Williams crank arms and chainring date it at 1937 which seems right as it has the bolted stays, old style chunky 'E' and also BSA stamped rear fork ends, headset and fork steerer tube (home of the worlds largest huntsman spider, who disliked being drenched in WD40 and came hurtling out toward my hand at a hundred mph, forcing me to throw the frame across the shed floor while crying "OOOOUUUURRRGHHHHH". :lol:

Serial number is F13724. Seems to further confirm the serials are pretty random. Strange to me as I'd have thought random serials would be a bigger PITA to keep track of then just using a sequential system when the orders were placed. :?

Any chance you guys can put your photos on flickr or photobucket and just post the link to them here? I think you need minimum 10 posts to include images in your messages. Then again, my first few posts (not long ago) were full of photos but I submitted them anyway. I suspect the first one was automatically held for a moderator to pre-approve but it showed up on the board the next day, no probs after that. Give it a crack. :wink:

golden-oldie

Postby golden-oldie » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:30 am

Great forum, learning so much as i read up
In relation to this article there is currently a similar Super Elliott listed on ebay at the moment with that e on the front,
These frames/cycles look incredibile with that kind of detail
I suspect these are chased by collectors,

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:59 pm

golden-oldie wrote:Great forum, learning so much as i read up
In relation to this article there is currently a similar Super Elliott listed on ebay at the moment with that e on the front,
These frames/cycles look incredibile with that kind of detail
I suspect these are chased by collectors,
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290629333689 ... 1423.l2649

belongs to silverlight who posted earlier in the thread. Very similar to the one he bought off me.

golden-oldie

Postby golden-oldie » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:53 pm

thanks for that BRLVR.v2
I wonder how many of these bikes are out there all complete like this?, Do they come up often?
I think its amazing these bikes have remained intact over the years.
Looking through old newspapers Super Elliott's were the bike to have in those days especially racers in SA, very advertised by the champions and having won most racing events on them. Prolific riders Deane Toseland, Jack Conyers, Keith Thurgood and Phil Thomas all rode them to victories.

zephy

Postby zephy » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:23 pm

xl250 wrote: The rear frame from the seat pole to the back wheel is detatchable and it has a big E embossed on the fork tube (not as ornate as the above) I'll post some pics if I can work out how.
Cheers.
Brad.

picked up one exactly like this today, well I got two but one hasn't got the bolt on frame from the rear stays to the seat pole attached...... be interested in age/history if anyone knows....

pic of the stays, bolt holds on frame going up to seat pole

and here is the other end bolted to seat pole..

Just an ol' man, riding an ol' bike.... every hill feels like Alpe d'Heuz....

Ralph Waler

Postby Ralph Waler » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:49 pm

Hi guys.

Picked up a super Elliott today and not sure about age. Serial number is E1206 there may of been another number after the 6 but can not be sure as scratched by seat post bolt.

All the running gear is BSA, chain wheel, peddle arms, crank housing is stamped BSA. Rear hub is free wheel and has 3 cogs, 2 on one side and one that can be used by reversing the wheel.
E, inbossed on front tube and rear drop outs are like on early BSA bikes. (Wheel slides in at 45 degrees).
Wheels are Westwood steel and bike has racing bars.

On lower head stem below the large (E) the bearing housing is more square shaped and not bell shaped like later bikes.

Any help would be great.

Cheers.

Ralph Waler

Postby Ralph Waler » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:58 pm

Forgot to mention but the bell also had super Elliott in bossed on dome.

Not that it would make much difference to age but found it interesting

Cheers