Southern Cross 'Alpha Racer'

DOZ

Re: Southern Cross 'Alpha Racer'

Postby DOZ » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:56 pm

That bizarre thing is legit, the only non-standard items are the tyres. Even the pedals are original.

I have owned one from new but its a metallic green colour. I got it from Santa in 1990 or 91 (need to check). It was sold to 'Santa' at David Jones. Features unique to this bike are biopace ring, hub rear brake, wheel covers (mine were cut off for speed) and fine welded joints. The shifter is conventional mtb from the era.

I have pics on fb, not sure if I can link them to here.

Dan

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:31 am

Garb wrote:Hi folks.
Bought this one a while ago, it's a Southern Cross F1 Mirrabrook.
Any info on it?
Same co. as above?
It was bought new in 1989 in Canberra and was in the Bicycle Museum.
Cheers
Alan
Eh, there was a bright baby blue one with neon green discs on Sydney eBay a few months ago. I saw it, and it looked so odd with its 20" wheels. I think it was selling for like $50 or something. Pooling at it again, it would've been a cool little bike to ride around with.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

xerlex

Postby xerlex » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:56 am

I had one of those as a kid but it was decaled as a Roadmaster Fiero, first bike with hand actuated brakes and I put myself over the bars on my very first ride haha. That would have been around 88-89.

FrancesJones

Postby FrancesJones » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:55 am

Hello- Can anyone help please. I live in Shropshire.UK- and have just discovered that Mr Lang had a workshop in King Charles Barns, Madeley, Shropshire during the 1970's. Since we are famous mostly for the fact that King Charles the 2nd stayed here for the night after the Battle of Worcester in is fabulous to discover that we had a craftsman in modern times of which little is known. Could anyone tell me where in this country he was born, and were and when he died. Any other information about his work in the country would also be welcome. I am working with our local History Group who are very eager to re-discover this obviously very talented man and make sure he is remember back here. Thank you in advance .
Frances Jones, Madeley,Shropshire, UK
His grandson - glennOZ42 posted in 2010- perhaps he is still around and willing to assist.

Judith Lang

Postby Judith Lang » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:51 pm

Hello i'm Judy Lang Richards,,,Stan Langs daughter,,,can you send me a friends request on Facebook,,,,,,i'm in Adelaide South Australia,,,,,,,,,,,Judy Lang Richards

Rob L

Postby Rob L » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:31 pm

FrancesJones wrote:Hello- Can anyone help please. I live in Shropshire.UK- and have just discovered that Mr Lang had a workshop in King Charles Barns, Madeley, Shropshire during the 1970's. Since we are famous mostly for the fact that King Charles the 2nd stayed here for the night after the Battle of Worcester in is fabulous to discover that we had a craftsman in modern times of which little is known. Could anyone tell me where in this country he was born, and were and when he died. Any other information about his work in the country would also be welcome. I am working with our local History Group who are very eager to re-discover this obviously very talented man and make sure he is remember back here. Thank you in advance .
Frances Jones, Madeley,Shropshire, UK
His grandson - glennOZ42 posted in 2010- perhaps he is still around and willing to assist.
Hi , I'm Rob Lang , Stan Lang's son . I worked with my father at Madeley for a few years before returning to Australia .I may be able to fill in a few details for you.
Rob.
Last edited by find_bruce on Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Contact details removed.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:05 pm

Hi Rob,

for privacy, email addresses and phone numbers generally should not be published. As a member however, you can send others a PM (Private Message) which is a forum internal messaging service and through that, contact details can be shared.

It would be great to hear about what it was like building bikes in the 70s
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

Garmadon

Postby Garmadon » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:53 pm

glennOZ42 wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:50 pm
Great to see My grandfathers bikes are still around and going strong. I have memories if going to his workshop and watching the building process both in the Uk and later in Australia. He passed away at age 80 in the Uk 1997. His wife Matilda is still alive aged 92. From memory his frames were all Reynolds tubing, 531 was the main tubing and Suntour groupsets were used later on. He focused on custom BMX and Racing bikes in the early 80's in Australia and made a few tandems. He also made frames for a guy called Graham Bufton in the Uk. I met Hugh Porter as a kid at a track day in the Midlands. Oh, He worked for Super Elliots in the 50's before returning to the uk to start his own business.

Hi
It’s a pleasure. May I ask a question about
Mr Lang’s bmx line. I have a southern cross SC3000 and I’m very much curious if he built it as I’d like to develop a thread about it on bmx museum. There’s afew posted that deserve notice if made by Mr Lang. It appears my SC3000 may be 1984. Serial starts as SC4125

Kind regards

munga

Postby munga » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:31 pm

strewth. more family members on one thread than any other on the whole forum!

nequalszero

Postby nequalszero » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:19 am

Hi there,

Not sure if there's a more appropriate spot to post this but my friend recently began restoring his Southern Cross road bike and we weren't able to find original decals on the internet. A friend of ours reproduced the decal so we thought we'd share it here in case anyone is looking to restore Southern Cross bikes of their own.

Cheers