Centurion Appreciation Society

QuangVuong

Re: Centurion Appreciation Society

Postby QuangVuong » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:16 am

So, Dave Scott is in Australia, and Sydney area too. I'll try to get in contact and get my Centurion autographed.

Centurions weren't marketed as the Dave Scott Ironman models in Australia. They were called Triathlon Masters and Experts, and probably the Carbon model too, but I've never seen one here before.

Mjainoz, was yours a Facet? Haven't seen one is Australia before as well.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

eubridge

Postby eubridge » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:26 am

QuangVuong wrote: Centurions weren't marketed as the Dave Scott Ironman models in Australia. They were called Triathlon Masters and Experts, and probably the Carbon model too, but I've never seen one here before.
Interesting... Where could mine have come from then?

Maybe it's something to do with being in Adelaide?

Nice work on that Carbon btw. Looks absolutely mint :D
'88 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman Expert

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:42 am

You probably don't have an Aussie sold one. Someone must have brought it over to Australia with them. Those are pre 89 decals. Double check with the component date codes as well. The 1050 group that you've got certainly is correct for the Expert model, but IIRC, they were around in the mid 80s, with the newer 1055 group coming out towards the end of the 80s. Quite the nice and clean original bike you've got though.

My Carbon R is actually being rebuilt atm. I have gotten an amazing condition group and will be pretty much bringing it back to 100% original spec. I also know someone who is selling a 55 or 56cm Carbon-R frame in quite good condition, so you can always get one for yourself.

eubridge

Postby eubridge » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:56 am

QuangVuong wrote:You probably don't have an Aussie sold one.
Well wherever it came from, I'm not complaining. I used to ride a MTB everywhere and I can't believe I didn't get a road bike sooner. Mind you, if I had then I would't have bagged this beauty.
QuangVuong wrote:I also know someone who is selling a 55 or 56cm Carbon-R frame in quite good condition, so you can always get one for yourself.
What I'm really craving is a Miami Vice Ironman, something about the purple and the gold. 8)
'88 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman Expert

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:48 pm

You probably don't have an Aussie sold one.
This is true. I picked up a Diamondback Centurion Master TG (Tange OS tubing, maybe 1991/92 think the TG is for tig welded) locally but it has a velobikes aspen Colorado sticker. Never seen another one like it. I bought it as a wet day commuter but was in such good nick I now keep it for the odd day rides. The owner said he paid big $$ for it when he was in the USA.
They are fine bikes but being a 60cm I still cannot get around the stock narrow bars so have dropped on some shallow drop moustache bars and a long nitto stem to get some width. Shame mine is basic black would have liked a pink or fluoro green...
Not mine but it looked just like this
http://bigdummydaddy.blogspot.com.au/20 ... -time.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:27 pm

Mine is above in the classic fluro orange tiger stripe

miaj10

Postby miaj10 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:18 pm

Hi guys I'm new here in forum just want to add my inherited Le Mans

mxmort

Postby mxmort » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:56 pm

I thought i would show my bike as its doesn't seem to be mentioned in this thread.

Centurion Turbo 7000 (serial M7M01309) Tange 2

Suntour Cyclone 7000- cranks,derailer,shifters
Suzie sealed to araya red anno 700cc
Sr post, Dia compe brakes, Centurion Vetti seat

Should turn out to be an easy build as only needs a clean up and new bearings etc

Would have been a nice bike in its day

rebem

Postby rebem » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:26 am

Hi guys, thought I'd pop up a photo of my 1990 Centurion Equalizer (serial M0E00085) and a request for help.

The bike was resprayed some years ago and I lost the decals. I have a very helpful local expert making a new set for me but we need a couple of things to complete the project. We need a close up and clear pic of the Equalizer logo on the top tube and measurements for all the decals before printing. Can anyone help me out please?

I'd take a bet that the logo sizes will be similar on other bikes of the same year, so if someone could be kind enough to measure another Centurion up, I'd appreciate it too.

Here's my bike so far...

cage

Postby cage » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:54 pm

rebem wrote:Hi guys, thought I'd pop up a photo of my 1990 Centurion Equalizer (serial M0E00085) and a request for help.

The bike was resprayed some years ago and I lost the decals. I have a very helpful local expert making a new set for me but we need a couple of things to complete the project. We need a close up and clear pic of the Equalizer logo on the top tube and measurements for all the decals before printing. Can anyone help me out please?

I'd take a bet that the logo sizes will be similar on other bikes of the same year, so if someone could be kind enough to measure another Centurion up, I'd appreciate it too.
Give me a couple of days and i'll get a few measurements for ya.

http://s650.photobucket.com/user/s4_gs/ ... ion%20Bike
If drivers and riders spent more time worrying about their responsibilities than their rights then roads would be far safer.

rebem

Postby rebem » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:35 pm

That's awesome cage - than you so much. Will forward your logo pic on to the decal guy tonight and see if it helps.

perko7

Postby perko7 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:04 pm

Hi all, can't remember whether i've posted this previously, so here goes.

My second bike is a 1983 Centurion Elite RS with Tange 1 double butted frame' Araya rims and Shimano 105 everything, 6speed rear and bio-pace chainrings which i love. Bike used to belong to my late brother who bought it new. It's pink but who cares.......

Had to replace some of the sprockets in the cluster and was unable to find original replacements so purchased a later 7-speed and just used the top 6 with the original spacers. Had to modify them as the spline spacing is slightly different, later hubs have one wider spline so the sprockets can only go on one way, so a bit of grinding required to make them fit the earlier hub and all was good.

My other bike is a 2013 Avanti Giro which is fine for commuting but the Centurion is a much nicer ride.

When i can work out how to post photos i'll send one in.

Cheers.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:40 pm

perko7 wrote:
When i can work out how to post photos i'll send one in.

Cheers.
This should help

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23303" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:31 pm

mxmort wrote:I thought i would show my bike as its doesn't seem to be mentioned in this thread.

Centurion Turbo 7000 (serial M7M01309) Tange 2

Suntour Cyclone 7000- cranks,derailer,shifters
Suzie sealed to araya red anno 700cc
Sr post, Dia compe brakes, Centurion Vetti seat

Should turn out to be an easy build as only needs a clean up and new bearings etc

Would have been a nice bike in its day
I have this with Suntour Ole (white) gear & brakeset.
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

elfoam

Postby elfoam » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:25 pm

Anyone have some detailed information on the (designed by Sid Patterson) Centurion Pursuit? I have one and it seems a fairly well equiped bike. Has a Seamless Tange 5 frame, ASX everything weighs in in the high 10kg mark. I'm not sure if it's completely stock or not. It has old damage to a tube that's been repaired (not sure how well). I'm wondering if I should be fixing it properly at some stage, the bike as a whole is in pretty good condition and rides great, it's only ever been used as a triathlon bike and not in a very long time, it currently has 3/4 x 27 inch tyres that haven't been made in decades.

schuberj

Postby schuberj » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:45 pm

Hi guys,

I recently bought myself a Centurion Equalizer Tange 1 frame, thought it was a bit small but it was a good price so I couldn't resist, especially as my best steel framed bike apart from this is Infinity. Turned out the frame was only 1cm smaller than what I am used to anyway, shows you cannot always rely on the look of the head tube to estimate a size :P Anyway, I seem to have come across a problem finding a seatpost bolt that fits. The frame looks like this:
Now I am guessing it is supposed to have a bolt that is inset within the braze ons, however I have been unable to find something of that size. I have also tried normal post bolts that would sit on the outside, however they are too thick to fit through the hole in the centre. Does anyone know where to get the correct type of bolt to fit this sort of setup? If someone had a picture of what the original bolt looks like that would help a lot too.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:51 pm

A lot of Tange frames have that sort of clamp. I don't have a pic of it, but I'll try my best to describe it.

One side takes a standard M5(possibly M6) screw(5mm hex head). The other side is a knurled nut which fits snug in the recessed hole. So it holds itself in place when you tighten up the screw.

schuberj

Postby schuberj » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:03 pm

Hmm, do you know where I might get one of these?

maccayak

Postby maccayak » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:49 am

schuberj wrote:Hi guys,

I recently bought myself a Centurion Equalizer Tange 1 frame, thought it was a bit small but it was a good price so I couldn't resist
What's going on, you didn't buy a Repco!

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:29 pm

schuberj wrote:Hmm, do you know where I might get one of these?
Bike shop?

schuberj

Postby schuberj » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:28 am

Being that even Abbotsford Cycles didn't have any, I am going "no".

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:48 pm

With regard to the Seatpost fitting.

I took pics of mine if you need them but....

you don't need the knurled nut, or the original bolt.

Using a 20mm headset bolt (M5 I think) is the same as the original seatpot bolt. And the tip of a v-brake brake pad nut (ie the silver round bit that has a 3 or 4 mm hex key fitting) will do the trick.

FoM
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

schuberj

Postby schuberj » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:00 am

Thanks guys. Not having any v-brakes I did some more looking into this, initially with the thought to file down a normal M6 nut to possibly make it fit withing the frame, although this seemed like hard work and possibly impossible to make look neat. Armed with a bit more information I again visited Abbotsford Cycles who directed me to a bolt shop on Swan Street. This was the final result.

The bolt shop didn't really have anything what I needed but they did have this:
I believe it is a nut that fits into wood to make a join that is flush with the outside.

I then sawed it off:
Not particularly neat, but this was going to be on the inside anyway and I figured a bit of roughness might give it some purchase on the frame to stop it from spinning.

This is the other side:
I cut in a "screwdriver" groove in case spinning became an issue. It didn't.

This is the finished product on the allen bolt:

And on the bike:
Not a perfect fit, but I think it looks fairly neat. Still surprised that the original part seems to not be available full stop! I was also not able to get a washer that fitted so the allen bolt side sits in a fair way, not an issue I guess. I am just happy I am able to ride the bike!

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:15 am

Ive finally found an image that is almost the same as what the original nut would look like. Add some straight knurling, and itll be like the one's Ive owned.

Otherwise, I guess using the nut from a V brake pad works too.
http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vinta ... 000-a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

elfoam

Postby elfoam » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:08 am

After a few months searching I finally obtained one of the Tange Infinity Centurion mixtes (Centurion Cadenza). 27.0 seat post, alloy 27" wheels. It's in totally original condition, still has all reflectors etc. Best I keep it that way or at least store the original parts. Ill go for a ride on it tomorrow. Saw a lot of vintage Centurions in the city today.