Centurion Appreciation Society

schuberj

Re: Centurion Appreciation Society

Postby schuberj » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:15 am

So I have had this bike for some time (as evidenced by the questions regarding seatpost clamp bolts) but have only just managed to get a couple of parts to finish it off, although I guess nothing is truly ever finished.

It is a Centurion Equalizer, a frame I bought knowing very little about it except that it was Tange 1, which was better than any steel frame bike I had at the time. It seemed a bit small, but for $60 how could I go wrong? Well the seatpost clamp bolt fiasco proved that wasn't quite right, but after I had passed that hurdle I had to work out what I was going to do with it. Some research seemed to show these had 105SC parts, what I would consider one of the (if not the) ugliest groups Shimano ever made; obviously not going down that route. Interestingly on measuring it it was only 1cm smaller than my usual bike anyway, so was not too small as I had imagined, in fact just the right size! I had also bought an 8-speed STI 600 Ultegra groupset and wheels which were originally going to go on, but deciding to use that on a bike for my brother and still having my failed "European" project sitting around, I decided to use the Santé parts off it. Lo and behold, it turns out Santé parts work better on a non-coloured frame that doesn't take away from the look of the parts!

So a few things about this bike. To ride, this frame is infinitely better than the Giant frame I had the parts on before. In fact it is far and away the best steel framed bike I have ever ridden, and although it is hard to compare, probably better than even my carbon bikes. It has a balance that instills confidence in everything the bike does, which is only enhanced by the Santé componentry. I know Santé did not last long and was probably considered a bit of a posers group, but Shimano were obviously not making up the advances they had made in these components. A brake feel that is far above any bike I have ridden, even with modern components, wheels that can spin for hours, perfect crisp changes every time and an overall feel that makes you believe they were made to only be on this frame. If I just feel like hopping on a bike and going for a ride, this is the one I get on (unless there are hills, it is not really geared for that :P ).

The "finishing" touches were replacing the cranks which had yellowed quite badly and getting new hoods, of which ironically the new ones have yellowed quite badly, but needed to be replaced as one of the old grey ones had become sticky and cracked. I was wrapped with the result as the (new) Santé hoods have a great wide shape that just moulds to the hands. I think I will also replace the saddle, which I don't really like the look of, and probably get bar tape to match as the current Selle Italia Smootape Classica leather is far and away the worst tape I have ever used or had on a bike in every possible way. I cannot stress this enough, DO NOT BUY THIS TAPE!

I think it is worth spending a few bucks on for a good saddle and tape, I love everything about this bike, except possibly the white tyres that just got dirty as straight away. Who ever thought of that idea?

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:48 am

Great job. You're not wrong about the groupset and the frame matching. They go perfectly togetether.

koshari

Postby koshari » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:12 pm

nice entry level tange centurion in sydney, looks complete , just wants a tidy up.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Road-bicycle ... Swkl5XePP-

Sturge

Postby Sturge » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:52 pm

Just wondering if anyone out there has any knowledge of Centurion ever putting out a model with a Suntour SL groupset?
I picked up a frame with SL parts on it last week that has definitely been repainted at some point.
The lugwork looks a lot like a Triathlon/Ironman but I can't find any indication that Centurion ever put this group on any of their frames.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Burnsy

Postby Burnsy » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:56 pm

Picked up a 1990 Equaliser today fro it's original owner. Going to strip it and rebuild for my wife. Has done very little miles by the look of component wear however I think it has spent a season out in the weather after coming out of storage when the owner moved to a unit. Surprising that the bare frame weighs 200g more than my Tange 1 Shogun and the forks weigh nearly 100g more. Should build up to a nice bike.

schuberj

Postby schuberj » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:19 am

They are not light because they are not thin. I was surprised that mine had a 27.0mm seatpost, the same as some of my Infinity frames. A fantastic bike to ride though.

Burnsy

Postby Burnsy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:27 am

schuberj wrote:They are not light because they are not thin. I was surprised that mine had a 27.0mm seatpost, the same as some of my Infinity frames. A fantastic bike to ride though.
I thought Double Butted Tange 1 was Double Butted Tange 1. My 54cm Shogun Ninja is 1950g and the 54cm Equaliser is 2170g, both Japanese made. Maybe the Ninja is actually Prestige?

schuberj

Postby schuberj » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:27 pm

Burnsy wrote:I thought Double Butted Tange 1 was Double Butted Tange 1. My 54cm Shogun Ninja is 1950g and the 54cm Equaliser is 2170g, both Japanese made. Maybe the Ninja is actually Prestige?
I used to think that too until this bike and a Tange Infinity one that I bought that both had significantly thicker tubes than the "norm". Looking at the '88 (Tange) catalogue shows multiple thicknesses for all tubes, which makes sense when you think about it. There would be multiple reasons you might want thicker tubes; larger frame, heavier rider, reliability (especially in a mass produced bike) or just a stiffer ride.

Gandalf

Postby Gandalf » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:16 am

Hi all i have been looking through this thread with interest as i have picked up a 1973 Centurion in all original condition from
an old lady near me. The bike is in poor condition but as she bought it in California in 1973 so thought it worth the effort.
the Dia compe brakeset and suntour groupset is pitted and will be hard work but am going to try to restore as best i can?
The frame will be cleaned and clear coated to leave the original used look. I haven't seen anything this old on here so can
only assume this one to be a bit rare, the lady i got it off for $50 is one owner and bike toured all over California on it before
moving to Australia. Anyway any input on restoring old and pitted alloy and where it is possible to get replacement bits would
be appreciated and will keep posting progress.
Gandalf54
It's not wind, it's a training aid.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:12 pm

koshari

Postby koshari » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:11 pm

finally scored a centurion with this freebie cadenza,

frame accepts 700c's with 32mm tires, instant 4130 gravel grinder :-)
Last edited by koshari on Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:35 pm

I did this 1987 Centurion Ironman up over 6 years ago and never really rode it so after it gathering dust in the back of the shed for way too long I decided that it was about time to start using it. I've only done just over 100km on it over the last week or so to move everything around and get myself comfortable on it but gee it's a nice bike to ride.

asouro

Postby asouro » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:08 am

Hi Team,
Hoping you can help me with some info on this Centurion Cadenza that I've acquired.
I can't find anything about the model online though it looks like a Le Mans.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:18 pm

asouro wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:08 am
Hi Team,
Hoping you can help me with some info on this Centurion Cadenza that I've acquired.
I can't find anything about the model online though it looks like a Le Mans.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Cadenza were usually a model range in their own right, not a variant of another series like Le Mans. One of their general purpose/recreational range. Le Mans (not the RS variant), Sport, Accordo, Cavaletto, those sorts of models. Not in the realms of the Turbo, Comp or Ironman stuff by a long shot. I did have one briefly, found it dumped by the side of the road. Stamped dropouts rather than forged, 4130 or some such steel, suicide levers, stem shifters. Typical bike boom era. They may even have been limited to Australia, as not many people seem to have heard of them outside Australia from what I've read.

Jim

asouro

Postby asouro » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:30 pm

Thanks Jim, I think u r spot on.

Cycling Wombat

Postby Cycling Wombat » Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:48 am

Short time reader, first time poster...
Picked up a Centurion Team Pursuit with original suntour components. From the serial number seems to be a Miki manufactured in '87. But I can't find any info on the Team Pursuit as an actual model. Any ideas?

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:22 am

Cycling Wombat wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:48 am
Picked up a Centurion Team Pursuit with original suntour components. From the serial number seems to be a Miki manufactured in '87. But I can't find any info on the Team Pursuit as an actual model. Any ideas?

Apparently an Australia only model:

https://www.bikeforums.net/18575004-post2079.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/3897145-post3.html

You could check the Centurion catalogs and see if it bares any resemblance to other models:

https://vintage-centurion.com/literatur ... logs.shtml

Cycling Wombat

Postby Cycling Wombat » Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:37 am

P!N20 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:22 am
Cycling Wombat wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:48 am

Apparently an Australia only model:

https://www.bikeforums.net/18575004-post2079.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/3897145-post3.html

You could check the Centurion catalogs and see if it bares any resemblance to other models:

https://vintage-centurion.com/literatur ... logs.shtml
Awesome! Thank you! That's the one. Exact same paint colours. Figured it might have been a rebagde of another model to appeal more to the Australian market - will see if any match up.