You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

P!N20

Re: You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

Postby P!N20 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:58 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:This is the page relevant to the bike from 1990 :

based on the displayed colour scheme, I believe yours (and mine) are both 1989 models.

Equipe: Wolker CTX rims. That wouldn't be Wolber TX rims, would it? Well done, marketing department.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:11 pm

Equipe: Wolker CTX rims. That wouldn't be Wolber TX rims, would it? Well done, marketing department.

Yeah I had a chuckle over that as well..
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

keith_h

Postby keith_h » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:50 pm

P!N20 wrote:Very nice, Keith. I'm amazed you sold the bike all those years ago and managed to purchase it again. Did you know the owner or did it just pop up for sale?

Nice touch with the black stem.

You mentioned chrome underneath the original paint. Did you have to remove that or is the chrome still there? Did you consider re-doing the chrome chainstay?
Thank you for the kind words.

It was sold at the time owing to a young family, changing work situation, nagging injury, all that stuff. It sat around and wasn't getting used like it should and it was too nice a machine to leave gathering dust. I sold it to a work colleague who used it well, and who I recently bumped into coincidentally in the street after not having seen him for many years. We had both moved overseas to different countries at one point, meeting him in the street was a miracle, and his still having the bike after all this time even more so. I had to persuade him to sell and I suspect he was a little concerned about the state of it at that time.

He definitely used it and enjoyed it and the bike bore a suitable patina as a result. Excellent, and exactly the reason I sold it - these are bikes to be ridden and enjoyed.

The chrome was in very poor condition and is now all gone. The frame was sandblasted to remove the rust and chrome and these days I hear that chrome is considered a means for a bike to rust from the inside out. Luckily the rust was superficial although there were some small holes in the tubes I am told. They were brazed up, I didn't want to know too much about it... (fingers in ears - lalalalala). Chrome was considered but the additional time, effort and cost especially were not deemed to be worth the effort.

In researching the bike, originally it seems after painting the driveside chain stay and rear stay only might be chrome, or both sides and the fork, or maybe just the fork. Being Italian and hand made, no two were the same I've gathered. So I deleted the chrome.

Anyone who restores an old bike has a plan in mind when they do so. Sometimes its a faithful vintage resto, other times a more practical approach is warranted. I wanted to ride this bike again and retain the spirit of the Record heritage. Hence, it had to be as Italian as possible and with a period correct silhouette. Campagnolo Potenza drivetrain in polished alloy is a pain to keep looking on point, but worth the effort. A Record drivetrain was considered, but I wanted to retain the alloy appearance of the drivetrain so it had to be Potenza. Compact and 11-32 to permit a fat bloke to go up big hills. I have other bikes with Shimano drivetrains (di2 and mechanical) and while I'd like to think I'm agnostic in this respect, there is a lot to like about the way the Potenza gruppo goes about its business.

TB14 rims and record hubs have the correct vintage look from afar, and are a fast, comfortable and surefooted combination. Vittoria Corsa tires look the part but I'm not convinced they are strong enough for backroads. I used to race on Corsa tubs which is why I got them - and I'm a bit over that part of the nostalgia trip owing to regular flats on the new tires. Pirelli make a strong all road tire and I'll give them a shot next time round.

The turbo seat is still available new, a very nice shiny nuovo record seat post finished the build. I retained the original handle bars and stem which carry enough patina to remind one of its past and of course the handle bar tape for a Record must be white. The cables are Campagnolo and also white.

So a combination of old and new, as much shiny Campagnolo componentry in the drivetrain as possible, just as it used to be in essence. I have been asked if I had considered getting it polished further and panto'd. Yes I did and I passed on that. There is sufficient bling, I'm happy with the result and enjoy riding it. Did I mention I built it to ride a lot... ??
Last edited by keith_h on Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

munga

Postby munga » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:50 pm

wolker mile in my shoes, then correct my grammar, hey?
kids today.

my experience - don't spend money on paint. you'll get the upgradeitis bug, and wish you hadn't blown money on painting an entry-level frame. that's $100+ that you could put towards something italian/belgian/english etc. but hey - i'm not your dad. do whatever you like.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:10 am

keith_h wrote:Rossin
Great stuff, Keith. Your enthusiasm comes across in your words and I think all retrogrouches can agree bikes are meant to be ridden, not gathering dust in a shed.

Amazing that you re-acquired it through a chance encounter, it was definitely meant to be.

If you’re after some more robust gumwall tyres, take a look at the Clement Strada LGG (now Donnelly Strada LGG.) Or Compass Cayuse Pass.

Those TB14s are great aren’t they? I’m not sure what we’d be using for these restorations if they didn’t exist.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:11 am

munga wrote:but hey - i'm not your dad.

Sure about that?

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:39 pm

P!N20 wrote:
keith_h wrote:Rossin
Great stuff, Keith. Your enthusiasm comes across in your words and I think all retrogrouches can agree bikes are meant to be ridden, not gathering dust in a shed.

Amazing that you re-acquired it through a chance encounter, it was definitely meant to be.

If you’re after some more robust gumwall tyres, take a look at the Clement Strada LGG (now Donnelly Strada LGG.) Or Compass Cayuse Pass.

Those TB14s are great aren’t they? I’m not sure what we’d be using for these restorations if they didn’t exist.
Pacenti Brevet are a pretty good choice for rims.

I’m not a fan of the Clement Strada LGG tyres. I’ve cut the sidewalls on two tyres. Something that I have not done with Panasonic tyres as the tread wraps further round the carcass which seems to deflect wayward gravel better.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:33 pm

^ OK, so I didn’t know about the Pacenti Brevets - I like the nod to the old Mavic logo (much like the TB14 nod to Ambrosio.)

I haven’t put my LGG’s through much gravel - usually put my Paselas on for that!

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:52 pm

Just finished a respray and rebuild on the 1978 Abeni ready for the Noosa Strade Bianche tomorrow morning (nothing like leaving it to the last minute!). I'm a bit disappointed with the paint job but it's pretty good for such a rushed job, painted Wednesday and Thursday, cleaned the parts Friday and built up today.

"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:57 pm

Looks great mate. See you in the morning.

Velo13

Postby Velo13 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:39 am

I have not used the Pacenti Brevet, but I do hope they are more robust than their other "halo" road models.

+1 on the TB14. Best "retro" rim out there.

sTeelBike74

Postby sTeelBike74 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:40 am

G`Day old newbie here. Reading about the Lennie Rodgers & pondering letting mine go, i lost balance after my stoke so the plans 15 years ago to fix it up will deffo not be a happening. (sad lolz) Where is best place to find cashed up new owner? 1974 built Reynolds 531 Campag BB & HS 56 / 44 cranks , need to go to staorage to remind of details. Somewhere here i read about steel frames & sea air, mine suffered with sweat more, wipe down obvs not good enough, discovered too late. I used it mostly on a magnetic dynamo? roller thing with a pedestal fan from the late 1980s to 2000s Sydney traffic & roads too scary. I will put up pics when i visit it next.

peteo

Postby peteo » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:57 pm

G'day all, here's my old Malvern Star Excel in fairly good nic, a few chips on the paint and almost original and rides nice light and nimble, , it could do with new pedals and bar tape...[img]http://s50.photobucket.com/user/jangoap ... sort=1&o=3[/img]

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:10 am

peteo wrote:G'day all, here's my old Malvern Star Excel in fairly good nic, a few chips on the paint and almost original and rides nice light and nimble, , it could do with new pedals and bar tape...Image
Welcome outside Peteo - the image code is not quite right. You need to copy the photo hosting link next to IMG. Also your link was to your apollo & I think you meant to post this one

scooter1971

Postby scooter1971 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:59 pm

Carbine

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here but have built other styles of bikes for a while.
Here's my first road bike resto, looking forward to gleaning the valuable info that only forums like this can offer.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:06 pm

Well, after desperately trying to do the N-1 thing and get rid of excess components from the shed for the last couple of months i was given the heads-up by a fellow forum member (thanks Matt!) on this bike for sale locally on Gumtree. Now I had been halfheartedly looking for an early alloy frame to match my wife's Alan for quite a while and this turned out to be it.

A Vitus 979 frame from Dave Kane's shop in Belfast exactly my size kitted out with a mixture of Shimano Sante gearing and Shimano 600 pretty much everything else. Odd man out is the Weinmann brake levers. All it needed was a re-cable, new bar tape and a polish. Oh yes it came will Maillard toeclip pedals, the SPDs are a ring in from the spares box.
From the frame number and fit-out I would say from the late 80's.
Still trying to fit a longer ride in (darn work....) but from short rides around the village seemed to ride pretty well.

<edit> Oh yeah I forgot Shimano BioPace II 130 BCD 42/42chain rings! There's a blast from the past! :P

Richard
Last edited by WyvernRH on Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:10 pm

Nice score Richard

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:44 pm

My Faggin with Campag Chorus 8 speed groupset, Campag Vento clinchers, Cinelli bars and stem, Campag Look pedals. White Rolls saddle.
Image021 by Derny Driver, on Flickr
Last edited by Derny Driver on Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:45 pm

My 1986 Merckx Panasonic. Campagnolo Triomphe groupset inc pedals, Shamals, Cinelli stem and bars, Rolls saddle.
Image213 by Derny Driver, on Flickr

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:49 pm

Nice Derny, although I can detect a slight (only slight) Campag theme happening here..

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:21 pm

More Campag. 1998 Team Polti Fausto Coppi running Campag Athena triple crankset, Chorus / Athena brakes and derailleurs, Coppi Look pedals, 8 speed Mavic Cosmic clinchers, Rolls San Marco Coppi saddle, ITM bars, ITM Goccia Coppi stem.
With the triple crank and a 12-24 cluster, this is my favourite bike to ride. Although Ive only ridden it 3 or 4 times.
Image039 by Derny Driver, on Flickr

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:43 pm

Geez Derny, you should worn people before you post up images like that!

Beautiful. Original paint or have you done the full restoration? What tubing is the Faggin and Merckx?

We need to organise a Melbourne retro ride.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:06 pm

P!N20 wrote:Geez Derny, you should worn people before you post up images like that!

Beautiful. Original paint or have you done the full restoration? What tubing is the Faggin and Merckx?

We need to organise a Melbourne retro ride.
Thanks mate
They are all original paint. The Coppi actually has quite a lot of paint chips but you dont really notice them. No tubing stickers but they are original frames, so good stuff. The Merckx is very light and rides beautifully.
I have another 2 frames expected to arrive this week, a Pep Magni from Italy in average condition but with nice decals / panto and a lot of character. I will leave it as is, and put on a full Galli (Italian) groupset. It will look really unique I think. Everyone knows the big Italian builders but there were others. Magni Giuseppe - also known as Magni Peppino "Pep" - was an Italian bicycle manufacturer from Milan, whose frames where mainly built by the expert hands of Giovanni - "Vanni" - Losa. I think this frame may not possibly not be one of Vanni's, it may be French built. Anyway I will post photos when its all done.
The other one is a Flandria from Holland, needs a full blast and respray and resticker. I bought it because it was reasonably cheap, because Flandria decals are readily available, because its an original (lots of copies out there), and because Flandria is an iconic Belgian brand. The shop is still there. Flandria were ridden by Freddy Maertens, Rik Van Looy, Roger De Vlaeminck, Sean Kelly, Peter Post and so on. Ive always wanted one. Still thinking about the groupset.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:05 pm

I'd love to see the Flandria as a work in progress, I feel that european bikes that aren't italian or french tend not to get the recognition they deserve, perhaps more so here than OS, but I have early childhood memories of some beautiful bikes which weren't french/italian, and was taught bicycle mechanics/engineering originally by my uncle who was an engineer at Steyr-Puch way back when...

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:06 pm

I must admit, I do like that Merckx a lot..