Frank Paino Appreciation Society

QuangVuong

Re: Frank Paino Appreciation Society

Postby QuangVuong » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:14 pm

I've seen many Painos with that crown. Its a cool looking one, but I've never looked into the manufacturer of it. I've seen a couple pantographs filled in like that before. Here's a Jim Bundy built fork. It has a CW pantograph, which should be Carl Wilson. Why is it filled in? Probably because that's what was lying around so Jim just filled it in. There could be many other reasons although I am not sure why a builder would cover their own pantographs.

A bit of a polish and it clearly says CW.

Anyway, here is my Paino Softride. An oddball being a Softride with Reynolds 653 tubing. Not like the usual Painos out there. Even if you bought a Paino, it wasn't necessarily his work as he was so busy running his shop back then. Could've be one of many Sydney builders, one being Geoff.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

TJG

Postby TJG » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:18 pm

[quote="QuangVuong"]I've seen many Painos with that crown. Its a cool looking one, but I've never looked into the manufacturer of it. I've seen a couple pantographs filled in like that before. Here's a Jim Bundy built fork. It has a CW pantograph, which should be Carl Wilson. Why is it filled in? Probably because that's what was lying around so Jim just filled it in. There could be many other reasons although I am not sure why a builder would cover their own pantographs.

Great photos and reply, thanks Quang

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:39 pm

QuangVuong wrote:I've seen many Painos with that crown. Its a cool looking one, but I've never looked into the manufacturer of it. I've seen a couple pantographs filled in like that before. Here's a Jim Bundy built fork. It has a CW pantograph, which should be Carl Wilson. Why is it filled in? Probably because that's what was lying around so Jim just filled it in. There could be many other reasons although I am not sure why a builder would cover their own pantographs.
I can think of a couple of reasons to cover those two cases.
For the Paino, sometimes there is one (or more) in the box of crowns/stay tops where it didn't quite work out right. So you either try and fix it (time consuming and hard) or you fill it in and make it a plain crown (quick and easy).
In the Bundy/CW case maybe the builder was asked to use those forks on a re-build or the forks was laying around the workshop and the builder decided to put them to good use to save time or they ran out of that specifically requested type of crown and so borrowed one from another builder?

Richard

Mansell

Postby Mansell » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:42 pm

Frank started out spay painting frames in the 1970's and made a good living. Too much so when the boss noticed he was driving a brown 246 Ferrari Dino, did some math and worked out Frank was making more $$ than him. He lived at Sutherland with his Mum, Sister Maria and brother John. He raced at the Sutherland club and represented NSW as a Junior. Harry Berkley screen printed his decals in a old garage at the back of shops.

Frank started selling bike gear and Italian frames from his house then progressed to building frames and the shop at Miranda. He built a frame for Wayne Nichols who went to the Moscow Olympics and Gary Sutton World Champion. He sponsored Clayton Stevenson but the two had some falling out, never knew what over. Frank is an gentleman and great person; but haven't been in contact for years. Does anyone know his whereabouts? Last I heard he was helping out atr bikeshop at Caringbah in late 90's.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:58 pm

Mansell wrote:Frank started out spay painting frames in the 1970's and made a good living. Too much so when the boss noticed he was driving a brown 246 Ferrari Dino, did some math and worked out Frank was making more $$ than him. He lived at Sutherland with his Mum, Sister Maria and brother John. He raced at the Sutherland club and represented NSW as a Junior. Harry Berkley screen printed his decals in a old garage at the back of shops.

Frank started selling bike gear and Italian frames from his house then progressed to building frames and the shop at Miranda. He built a frame for Wayne Nichols who went to the Moscow Olympics and Gary Sutton World Champion. He sponsored Clayton Stevenson but the two had some falling out, never knew what over. Frank is an gentleman and great person; but haven't been in contact for years. Does anyone know his whereabouts? Last I heard he was helping out atr bikeshop at Caringbah in late 90's.
Send me an email(see my profile for it) and I can out you in touch with Gefsco who would have a better idea than me about Frank.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

Humphrey1957

Postby Humphrey1957 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:53 pm

Cripes. Your bringing back some old memories now.

I worked with Carl Wilson, and his dad assembling Swift bicycles at the factory at St Peters.

Frank was painting the frames and one of my most vivid memories was of Frank pin lining mudguards for ladies bikes.

A true craftsman. Every line hand painted.

He was having trouble insuring his car and was buying a new GTHO falcon every 3 months because that's how long the cover note lasted.
He was the first member of the 100 club that I knew.
To be a member you had to have a speeding ticket on three bridges Of over 100mph. LOL

I remembering him ordering that 246 Dino. Nipple pink was the official colour.

Sweet memories. Lots of stories.
Eat less. Move more and keep breathing.

Tippo454

Postby Tippo454 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:26 am

Here's a couple of pics of my Paino track bike that i turned into a fixie , as can be seen in the 2nd pic it has clover leafs in the lugs & had Campag tips .

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:32 am

TJG wrote:Hi all,
I'm working on a restoration of a Paino at the moment. The frame is stripped and ready for painting and I noticed some distinct differences in the frame compared to others. Specifically the absence of the 'P detail in the fork crown and words 'Paino' at the top of the Seat stays which have both been brazed-in (filled in) to hide them. I thought someone may know why. Most other detail is identical with Campag' and Columbus tubes and cast parts throughout. Its frame number 56.
Cheers, Tony

The links appear to be broken, but I came across this fork crown on Velobase, apparently it's a Cinelli model: http://www.velobase.com/ViewFramePart.a ... &AbsPos=74

Walter Bishop

Postby Walter Bishop » Sun May 28, 2017 9:15 pm

I had a bike built by Frank in 82 or 83. It was supposed to be electric blue but he painted it black instead. So sad, too bad - it's now black... have a nice day. He said at the time he misread the order but somebody else reckons it was because he was spraying black frames that day.

Still got it, now restored in red by Star Enamellers - there's a thread somewhere in this sub forum with pics.

Edit: this thread - viewtopic.php?f=23&t=89627&start=25

two-possum-power

Postby two-possum-power » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:44 pm

I own a frame which a knowledgeable bike mechanic and enthusiast said might be a Paino. It is a track frame with a double fork crown, cut out lugs and a drilled out BB shell.

It has nothing suggesting it's a Paino (eg stamps) but the workmanship is very high quality, for instance a Campi track wheel will only slot into the rear opening if the slot along the axle runs parallel to the opening.

Steve

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:06 pm

^ Got any pictures?

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:15 pm

Why are the bargains never in Melbourne?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Columbus-Co ... rk:34:pf:0

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:48 pm

P!N20 wrote:Why are the bargains never in Melbourne?

It's only a bargain now, but in 36hrs time when bidding finishes, who knows? Would expect this to pull a few dollars..
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:00 pm

^ True. Will be interested to see what it goes for.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:37 pm

what makes it worse is that it's my size and has 600ex on it.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:54 am

Yes, must admit I'm watching this one as it not an impossible distance away. Interestingly it was out there two weeks ago at $200 on e-Bay and no-one bid.

Richard

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:27 am

Anyone get it? Still went for a bargain.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:50 pm

P!N20 wrote:Anyone get it? Still went for a bargain.
Not me tho when I saw the silly price I had to hide my hands behind my back to keep them off the keyboard...

Richard

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:43 pm

P!N20 wrote:Why are the bargains never in Melbourne?

There's plenty of postage enablers around here, I'm sure. Bargain price.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:55 pm

P!N20 wrote:Anyone get it? Still went for a bargain.

Not me....forced myself to not watch.

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:41 pm

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:13 pm

Lovely

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:32 pm

I’m listening...

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:39 pm

P!N20 wrote:I’m listening...

That's a loaded statement :!: and where do I start, what do you need to listen too lol.
I've been sitting on this frame about 10 years, painted it before an embarrassing two tone so only ridden it a few times. I know enough about it's history to be 99% sure it's an early custom built 120mm rear spacing 5 speed era Frank Paino built frame set "not a complete bike".
I'm just not sure how early the year exactly, I know it's 70's and say 78-80 because we know Frank built a commonwealth Game winning bike in 78 but how early was he building frames. It didn't just happen he started with the idea of building then grew from there.
There is a lot I know and a lot we can speculate about this frame set but don't want to write a novel about it except answer questions if there are any.

The bike mostly assembled, trying to stay period correct and will slowly change this to make it 100% an Oceania bike with first gen Superbe, Sugino, Araya parts even though the OP had Nuovo Record on it.

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:40 pm

Image1978-80 Paino by Kerryn, on Flickr