Vintage Bikes With Modern Groupsets

WyvernRH

Re: Vintage Bikes With Modern Groupsets

Postby WyvernRH » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:32 am

RobertFrith wrote:1940's Hetchins Super Special with 1980's Suntour Superbe Pro Group.<snip> The only pain point on the Hetchins is braking. I suppose that replacing the 80's blocks would rectify this.
Just a heads up on this, my Flying Gate came with a Superbe Pro brake setup and I put up with the brakes for ages as the pads had 'Superbe Pro' engraved on them. Eventually I spat the dummy and fitted modern soft pads. On the first ride out I hit the brakes for the corner after the fast downhill out of Claro and dam near threw myself over the bars..... :roll:

Richard

Wezz

Postby Wezz » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:17 pm

I'm a bit of a mix down this route - groupset is slightly more modern than the frame, modern wheels.
Due to some issues with the original crank I have a carbon ultratorque crank on there too at the moment - which will be swapped out for a polished centaur ultratorque crank. I also alternate some old deep aluminium zondas on it too or some silver ventos depending where I am riding.

Frame was a verge side collection save - it was pretty rough when I found it and has a dent in a chain stay, but still rides beautifully.

minhyy

Postby minhyy » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:04 pm

been posted in another thread before, but my Tommasini Super Prestige fitted with Super Record 11 and custom XLR8 wheels

VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

RIDER987

Postby RIDER987 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:47 pm

That.is.amazing!

Do you think that groupset is worth the price? Is it 'that' much better over other groupsets? Just curious.

minhyy

Postby minhyy » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:10 pm

RIDER987 wrote:That.is.amazing!

Do you think that groupset is worth the price? Is it 'that' much better over other groupsets? Just curious.
I paid about a fifth the cost of a new groupset - so I would say it's very much worth the price :wink:

Compared to my Colnago with 10s Record, the main difference really is the ergonomics of the levers, of which I prefer the 11s era.

That said, for my riding needs I am more than happy with Shimano 105 (with 10s Dura Ace downtube shifters and earlier aero brake levers) on my other neo-modern steelie, and if I was to buy another modern groupset, I would likely look at Campagnolo Chorus as it still shares the Ultra-Torque crank and newer lever ergonomics

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:35 pm

Do you find those Elite Tito cages to be super tight? I love the way they look, but they certainly don't seem to be the easiest cages to get a bottle in and out of.

Madrider

Postby Madrider » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:46 pm

Here's 2 of mine

Colnago Tecnos Competition
Bit of a mix: Sram Rival 10 speed, Campag Monoplane brakes & Record hubs laced to Mavic 4CD's

ImageColnago Tecnos by aussierider43, on Flickr

Colnago Master Olympic
Campag Chorus Carbon 10 speed, Delta Brakes & Shamal tubular's

ImageColnago Master Olympic by aussierider43, on Flickr

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:12 am

Madrider wrote:Here's 2 of mine

Colnago Tecnos Competition
Bit of a mix: Sram Rival 10 speed, Campag Monoplane brakes & Record hubs laced to Mavic 4CD's

ImageColnago Tecnos by aussierider43, on Flickr

Colnago Master Olympic
Campag Chorus Carbon 10 speed, Delta Brakes & Shamal tubular's

ImageColnago Master Olympic by aussierider43, on Flickr
Very nice, and has just confirmed a bike build path for me with a couple of Deltas that I have :) :) :)

xavdav

Postby xavdav » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:34 pm

My 1985 Moser Racer with a 2009 Campagnolo Veloce group set. The head set, stem and handlebare are original, as well as the seat post. Wheels are Veloce hubs and FIR Zenith rims (red because it goes faster). It is carbon fibre and Shimano free :wink: Image

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:45 pm

I can spot Shimano downtube cable stops.

Cool Moser in any case. You should join us on the monthly Sydney retro rides.

xavdav

Postby xavdav » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:26 pm

QuangVuong wrote:I can spot Shimano downtube cable stops.
Expertly spotted :oops: . I also have to admit that I am testing a carbon seat at the moment (Colors matches the frame's paint work).

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:18 pm

Here's my latest one, so far I've found a whole bunch of parts from our family spare parts bin, aside from the seat post I haven't payed over $200 yet. I would like to eventually fit modern carbon forks to see how light I can make it. I'm currently looking fora 3T Prima 199 in a 42mm bar. By this stage they're rare as hens teeth. After I swap out the seat pot tomorrow I'll reassess whether I need a new quill stem to get better reach. It's a matter of working out whether its really nescessary or not. At the moment its pretty much at the pinnacle in terms of modern and retro SRAM and Suntour components without going overboard with titanium.

1995 Giant Kronos.
SRAM Rival groupset.
SRAM Double Tap shifters.
SRAM Apex Derailleur.
Thomson Elite seat post (not fitted in this photo) 200gram.
SR-Suntour quill stem, 100mm.
SR-Suntour Road Champion bars, 42mm.

singlespeedscott wrote:The ride quality will not improve with a modern groupset. A frame that rides like a dog will still ride like a dog after tarting it up with a modern groupo.

The key for an upgrade like this is to have a great frame to start with.

Weight is not a high priority.

Your ultimate goal is to have the great riding quality of vintage steel with the luxury of modern shifting and braking.
A modern groupset will make the bike infinitely more enjoyable when your bike just clicks into gear and your chain does not fall off. There are also vast improvements such as Double Tap so I can grab as many gears as I would like. All of a sudden you go from a flat to steep incline and you click back and you're in first gear again with the right shifter. Or you happen to be on a descent, you click over into your 20th cog and you roll down the hill whilst still peddling onto the flat and keep up your rolling mass to maintain speed.

A modern groupset will make the bike feel modern, you will ignore the weight issues provided you have a decent frame, and either way you can if you like put carbon forks wheels and bars on your new steel steed which will bring its weight down to something under 12kg where you will not suffer a weight penalty.

You both gain and lose aero advantage, you have a traditional aero sense of a bike that fits you like a good Armani suit, you lose on exotic material. But the consequence of most bikes you can fit in the same price bracket is that they only come in Small, Medium or Large (and sometimes in half sizes) which means that you compromise on the rider aero to focus on the bike aero.

At the end of the day both cancel each other out. When you are sitting with your arse up in the air (due to the size of the seat post) you will be losing most of your aero advantage of carbon with the aero drag of having your arse hanging in the air. A full carbon race bike will also be incredibly uncomfortable, even in this sense where you are riding on the tops, and that's without considering riding drop.

keith_h

Postby keith_h » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:30 pm

It's a long story... but Rossin Recod frame, Potenza gruppo, Record hubs and TB14 rims. Goes well.

http://gallery.heinrich.id.au/rossin

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:26 am

keith_h wrote:It's a long story... but Rossin Recod frame, Potenza gruppo, Record hubs and TB14 rims. Goes well.

http://gallery.heinrich.id.au/rossin
Love it..
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:26 am

Kronos wrote:Here's my latest one, so far I've found a whole bunch of parts from our family spare parts bin, aside from the seat post I haven't payed over $200 yet.
This sounds like a great project but...
Kronos wrote:A modern groupset will make the bike infinitely more enjoyable when your bike just clicks into gear and your chain does not fall off.
You must have been setting your gears up wrong :)

Most of my fleet are non-indexed downtube or bar end and i really can't remember the last time I threw a chain, even on the really old stuff.

Brifters are convenient but I can't say they add to my enjoyment of the ride particularly.

Richard

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:36 am

WyvernRH wrote:You must have been setting your gears up wrong :)
And/Or the components are worn out. Ask me how I know. Rear D.s don't last forever.
WyvernRH wrote:Brifters are convenient but I can't say they add to my enjoyment of the ride particularly.
I'm a sucker for out-of-saddle shifting, mostly as I'm not coordinated enough to ride out of the saddle with only on hand on the bars :oops:
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:26 pm

Umm, the post you refer to is from Nov2017 and user hasn't been back in mths so probably won't see your helpful feedback. For what its worth I agree with WyvernRH and note that DT sticks are the most responsive and quickest shifting option of the lot...

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:47 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:Umm, the post you refer to is from Nov2017 and user hasn't been back in mths ....
Shame about that.
He seems to be giving his expert advice on facebook page "Bicycle Advice Worldwide" these days.
That would have to be the most useless page on the internet.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:04 pm

Derny Driver wrote:
10speedsemiracer wrote:Umm, the post you refer to is from Nov2017 and user hasn't been back in mths ....
Shame about that.
He seems to be giving his expert advice on facebook page "Bicycle Advice Worldwide" these days.
That would have to be the most useless page on the internet.
Wondered where he'd pop up..

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:34 pm

Flanders late 80s Columbus SLX shaping tubing, running full 10 speed SRAM Red, except the Athena cranks.

Gets used for long commutes, training rides into the hills, fast bunch rides and even racing.

Rider does not have a great sense of coordination, so brifters are the way to go particularly racing and bunch rides.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:31 am

nickobec wrote:Image
Flanders late 80s Columbus SLX shaping tubing, running full 10 speed SRAM Red, except the Athena cranks.

Gets used for long commutes, training rides into the hills, fast bunch rides and even racing.

Rider does not have a great sense of coordination, so brifters are the way to go particularly racing and bunch rides.
Is the bike named Ned? (Spokely-dokely)

stomach_bug

Postby stomach_bug » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:04 am

10speedsemiracer wrote: (Spokely-dokely)

lol

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:26 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:Is the bike named Ned? (Spokely-dokely)
Have you been stalking me on Strava https://www.strava.com/activities/1797695334

note can't post screenshot from work

so you have to follow the link and scroll down to see the bike's name

bustidandruptured

Postby bustidandruptured » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:31 am

Hi Folks.I haven't posted on here before but have been a silent observer for quite a while.I am keen to build a neo-retro,but really unsure of what would make a good donor frame.Do I find a sweet classic or look for just a steel dunger.Keen to here others views
Cheers Alan

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:35 am

The frame is the heart, but don’t get hung up on names. Japanese made frames may not have the name but they are well made.

I would be looking for something made from quality butted steel. Reynolds 531 or better, Tange 2 or better, Columbus SL or better or Ishiwata.