Gordon1 wrote:
Torana68 wrote:Was that the blue one?
Yeap. Blue with black. BSA hubs and pedals
Correction light blue and dark blue. Damn auto correct and not paying attention

Torana68

Re: Speedwell appreciation society

Postby Torana68 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:30 am

Ok,
I can tell you , "G" numbers assend numerically , but not in sequence, so G28285 is older than yours and I said somewhere from '35 with '37 doubtfull (very) this one would be no older than '36 no newer than '37. Some of the info the museum had was based on what they were told , sometimes its right sometimes not quite. The more info I get the better I can date things, with Speedwell I have a couple of "one owners" some with dated cranks and info on others the same. I only have the Museums mug shot of that bike could you take some detail picks and send? If its easier Ive moved the old "Ozpushies" onto facebook, you can share the photos there? (do a Facebook search)
Ozpushies! for ALL Australian made bikes.
"It's only original once"

Gordon1

Postby Gordon1 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:40 am

Torana68 wrote:Ok,
I can tell you , "G" numbers assend numerically , but not in sequence, so G28285 is older than yours and I said somewhere from '35 with '37 doubtfull (very) this one would be no older than '36 no newer than '37. Some of the info the museum had was based on what they were told , sometimes its right sometimes not quite. The more info I get the better I can date things, with Speedwell I have a couple of "one owners" some with dated cranks and info on others the same. I only have the Museums mug shot of that bike could you take some detail picks and send? If its easier Ive moved the old "Ozpushies" onto facebook, you can share the photos there? (do a Facebook search)
Thanks for that. I am aware of some inaccuracies in the information of the defunct museum which is why I was curious as to your thoughts. Some info handed down is plain wrong and then gets distorted. Having said that the price was well and truly right when I purchased so I'm happy to have it, regardless of what age it us. The nickel plating alone was worth more than the asking price.

If you could pm me your email I will get some better photos to you. I only have one good one readily available but could get more.....and no I abhor Facebook so no joy there.

Aphrodites

ADVICE PLEASE x

Postby Aphrodites » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:06 pm

Hi everyone,
Just scored this baby and wondering if anyone can tell me anything about it? The closest I could find similar appears to be a step through bike with "Brownie" on the crossbar.
And would we restore it or sell it?

Thanks for reading. Will attempt to post pix.

Aphrodites

how do I post???

Postby Aphrodites » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:42 am

:shock:

Aphrodites

Postby Aphrodites » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:45 am

How do I post something and a photo? Please help! Just got something I reckon people could comment on for my better education.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:57 am

Aphrodites wrote:How do I post something and a photo? Please help! Just got something I reckon people could comment on for my better education.
Well lit and sharply focused images are needed, so other readers can see what you are discussing. Images need to be hosted online and the image linked with an image tag as explained in this thread. If you have trouble posting Flickr images look here. Images hosted on Facebook don’t work.

Aphrodites

New Old Speedwell advice please...

Postby Aphrodites » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:39 pm

Hi all,

I have this old Speedwell and am looking for any guidance as to it's vintage, etc.
The most similar I've see online was a "Brownie" Ladies bike from the 50's I think.

What kind of expense to fix it up, and/or what would it be worth now as is?

Thanks guys,
Nicole.

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:31 pm

Maybe early seventies, probably an offshore frame .

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:52 pm

Yes, early 1970's. Speedwell. Dollarwise, it's not worth anything.

rokwiz

Postby rokwiz » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:23 am

Great thread and information, I love Speedwell's. I get a lot of comments about riding my Speedwell in Victoria due to it being Malvern Star country.
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D Diderot 1752

flying dragon

Re: Speedwell or other maker?

Postby flying dragon » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:42 pm

I finally got to work on this spray painted Speedwell (?). The plan is to repaint, and replace the fixed/freewheel hub with a SA 3 speed. I'm looking forward to getting this on the road, it fits me well and should be a fun ride (pictured is a little more seatpost than I actually need). Image
I've undercoated, and am attempting to match some colours with another Speedwell I have that has a purpley-red and bluey-aqua colour scheme. Sounds awful as I type this but to my eye better than the traces of original salmon & blue. Under these traces was a thin layer of red over grey undercoat.
The fork blade tubing terminates in concave ends against the dropouts
open ends of rear stays
I wasn't sure how to date it, and when I stripped off the paint I found the date stamped into the BB - Jan 1939. The serial number is Z 12219.
The steerer tube is stamped A & P Made in England B, and an S (for sport?). One of the rear dropouts is stamped 665N. The fork is drilled and threaded at the rear of the crown and not at the front, and the seat stay bridge is drilled vertically.
The rims are stamped DUNLOP MADE IN AUSTRALIA PAT 5131 11 DEC 1925 28 X 1 3/8 9
Under the red rim paint were the crusty remains of the original salmon-orange and mid-blue centre stripe, with white pinstripes.
No name crankset, Brampton headset and BB, British Hub Company rear hub
So - I'm wondering if anyone knows if it is actually a Speedwell? Did they date stamp their frames in the 30's? I'm guessing that if it is a Speedwell it might possibly be a Super Club model.
Last edited by flying dragon on Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:12 pm

Made at Speedwell, did it leave the factory with Speedwell decals ? Maybe not. There are few “z” frames and none so far have anything Speedwell specific on them (nor had remnants of decals to help) It may well be 39 ish (39- early fourties) but I’ve never seen any date stamped, dunno what the numbers mean. The open ends on the rear fork ends are either, a short lived fad or a specific frame maker at Speedwell. I haven’t seen that type of work on basic frames. So maybe a “trade frame” ........ until something turns up to change my mind that’s the best I can suggest.

flying dragon

Postby flying dragon » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:31 am

Thanks for that ... when you say trade frame, does that mean say a bike shop bought frames from Speedwell and gave them their own brand, that kind of thing?

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:36 am

Yep as best I can work out. Up till more of the Z prefix turn up or more info comes from somewhere.

4wdphil

Postby 4wdphil » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:08 pm

So this one may seem a little sacrilegious but here's my circa 1940s Speedwell built up as a 1920s path racer lookalike.

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:58 pm

Nice :)

flying dragon

Postby flying dragon » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:01 am

Very cool! Good to see a taller frame, and those flipped bars are nice with their minimal drop.
How is the shifter to use in that position? Dig the who gives a carp box in the background :D

4wdphil

Postby 4wdphil » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:02 pm

The shifter is located there just to keep the bars clean, it's definitely not a performance enhancement! It'd probably get easier to use if I rode it more regularly. It's funny what the background of a photo tells you about someone isn't it?

squidman

Postby squidman » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:08 pm

Hi, just bought this speedwell flash 500 at my local charity/op shop. Curious from reading the thread as to what anyone could tell about the bike. Was also wanted to know if anyone had any information on the model for restoration and maintenance? Thanks!

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:23 pm

Most probable this is an Asian made bike, ride it don’t spend much and have fun.

Torana68

Re: New Old Speedwell advice please...

Postby Torana68 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:29 pm

Aphrodites wrote: ........What kind of expense to fix it up, and/or what would it be worth now as is?
Thanks guys,
Nicole.
‘69 to early seventies, don’t spend much on it, what’s the shiny thing in the bottom bracket? This one might have been made here but doubtful, the industry was just about dead. What size wheels?

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:46 pm

My classic collectible 76 Speedwell, now a fixie but heaps of fun commuting to work passing expensive carbon roadies...
No plans to spend any money on it... perfect as it is and go to commuter

“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

DOHC

Postby DOHC » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:40 am

looks great cancan, nothing like an honest old Speedie....scrapes and all...