My Bikes - Re-Posting a few photos.

GaryF

My Bikes - Re-Posting a few photos.

Postby GaryF » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:59 pm

I re-posted a few photos of my bikes in the 'show and tell' thread after I lost all my forum photos when Photobucket changed their hosting position. I found I was taking up too much of the fine thread talking about my bikes. This is too boring for that thread so I decided to put the discussion in another thread so as not to bore too many forum members.

WARNING: You've probably seen this stuff before! If so, DON"T GO ANY FURTHER with this thread.

Additional WARNING: I'm very self absorbed and like to show-off my bikes. I also don't know when enough is enough - you've been warned!

All anyone has to do is simply ignore this thread to prevent being bored.

Anyway, here I go...........

I've been riding good quality bikes since I started work as an Apprentice. They have been a constant method of transportation to work for me since 1971. My first commuter was a Repco semi racer with a Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub. This was followed closely by a Bob Jackson, Reynolds 531, 10 speed beauty. I soon sold this bike to buy Malvern Star, 5 star track bike that I commuted on for a few years. Brakes weren't needed so I thought. I have often had a track bike to commute on over the years and I really enjoy them. They have all been Aussie built with MS 5 Star 's and Hillman's being more prevalent.

My first Italian bike, a Daccordi in Columbus SL and kitted out with Campy Nuovo Record, was purchased from Ken Evans' shop in Geelong. My first Italian bike and the start of my long love for everything Italian - cycling that is. Gee I wish I still had that bike but I traded it in for a beautiful second hand Pinarello, with Campy Super Record, that I came across in Beasley's shop in Footscray. I think all of that bike's gruppo is still being used on some of the bikes I still own.

After a while I got sick and tired of the daily commuter so I would start looking around for a replacement, always second hand and either a frame of a complete bike. Being a bit stupid, I usually couldn't get rid of the old bike. I'd formed a relationship with it and more often than not, kept it. Here was the start of my collecting future.

I've been complemented on the good condition my bikes seem to be in. This may be a little 'smoke and mirrors' as you can get away with quite a lot in a photograph. I do, however try to maintain my bikes and do try to improve them where I can.

The most bikes I have owned at one time was around 50 - all either road or track bikes. A move north from Victoria to Queensland saw me sell off 50% of the fleet as well as a heap of components. I had a storage issue in my new location. Out went anything that was too small for me as well as other much loved bikes. I only kept those I tended to ride more often.

The Cinelli, ALAN, Fountain, Pinarello, a couple of the Colnago's, the Vern Smith and the Hillman Track have seen quite a bit of commuting. The Cinelli and the ALAN have survived quite nicely although the Cinelli's paint is starting to peel around the chrome junctions. The Vern Smith used to belong to Vern's son and was his training bike before I bought it and used it to commute on. It is still in great condition and is made of that wonderful Columbus Max tubing. The ALAN is like new and has really stood up to commuting conditions extremely well.

Why so many Colnago's? This was my out of reach brand that I could never afford to own. I must have drooled all over the Colnago's in DeGrandi's in Geelong in my early years. So much so that Shane DeGrandi had to get rid of me so he made me a great deal on one that had taken up showroom space for a little too long. This bike means a great deal to me and is still in brand new condition and remains my only brand new purchase although all the components were scrounged:

This bike is shown below. It's a 1991 Colnago, Total Spiral, Conic SLX. Some 50th anniversary stuff (seatpost and pedals) and late model (85) Campy Super Record with etched fluteless crank arms and featuring Cobalto, jewelled brakes, ITM Pro 2 bars and a beautiful,Colnago engraved, ITM stem, a Campy Electra saddle, ICS enhanced Campy gear levers. Over many years I have only ever come across one other Colnago with this Italian inspired paint scheme and that was a track model:

All my Colnago's: (Sad isn't it!!??) L to R: 82 Mexico; 90 Master Piu; 91 Conic SLX; Mid 80's Superissimo; 91 Super; 02 Dream Lux; 96/98 Technos:

Below, rear to front: A 1990 Master Piu in Arostea colours - 60cm x 58cm c to c. and a '96 Campy, 8 speed, Ti Record gruppo; A 1991 Conic SLX - 61cm x 59cm c to c; A Mid 80's Superissimo SLX - 61.5cm x 58.5 c to c. with 2nd Gen. Campy C-Record stuff:

This Colnago Mexico SL is my Bepe Saronni tribute bike. I have tried to faithfully copy the components found on Saronni's 1982 world championship bike based on Campy's 50th Anniversary gruppo. The frame has been refurbished to better than new condition:

Over the years I have always had a bike set-up for wet weather commuting. Fenders fitted and plastic water bottles cut and zip tied into critical positions, plastic Unicanitor saddles, etc.. Greased often to keep the water out. I don't have any of these bikes anymore but they have usually been well made Aussie bikes such as a KYPO, Hillman and DeGrandi. I really miss these bikes as they went through hell, especially the KYPO, travelling many enjoyable miles in the wet and mud. I lived in a market garden area just out of Melbourne and many is the time I have had to hose off the mud from myself and the bike after riding home from work. Luckily I could shower at my work if the same happened on my way to work.

The KYPO was originally in a Greg Lemond, tri-colour paint scheme but when that became worn and tatty I repainted it yellow because Henry Hill (Hillman Cycles) told me that yellow was his 'safest' colour to paint a bike. "All bikes should be painted yellow." according to Henry. For a couple of years I had an over a 4 hour commute to work. Leaving in the dark and home in the dark. on a wet morning/night a yellow bike was something a little safer I suppose.

Unfortunately the '86 Pinarello (60cm x 58cm c to c) suffered a heavy crash about 2 years ago but it survived quite well. Just on that, Pinarello decals from that era were very brittle. What you see is my efforts at touching-up the decals with paint. It has a full Suntour Superbe Pro groupset but I have fitted flat bars - it's my shopping bike now. It did do duty as a commuter too:

The Colnago Master Piu and the Bianchi Campione del Mondo have seen quite a bit of weekend 'posing' work although the Bianchi has been chip repaired as the finish was very chipped. I'm proud of the job I did on this bike as it is quite un-noticeable now.

Two of the Colnago's and the Fountain are re-paints. I did the Fountain myself and it's one of two bikes I have left that I personally re-painted, the other being the lo-pro Kenevans.

There are a few that are lightly ridden such as one of the Colnagos bought in the late 80's, the DeGrandi Track bought in the 90's and past it's track prime and the Rossin bought in the early 2000's.

Gee, I can ramble on - but, then again, I'm probably the only one that has kept up and reached this stage of the story.

The 84 ALAN and the 85 Cinelli Supercorsa SPX have seen their fair share of commuting duties. I lusted after this Cinelli frame for about 3 years before I could buy it. I have kitted it out with the absolute best of everything available in 1985. I will probably be buried with it. it is my favourite bike despite it having poor commuting manners:

Below, the 83 Alan - (59.5cm x 58.5cm c to c) came to me as a frame in the mid 80's. I bought it 2nd hand at Degrandi's (again). I had a little money doing nothing so I asked Spud (R.I.P.), Degrandi's mechanic, what frame he would buy if he was looking for one. He took me past lots of 2nd hand Colnago's, Pinarello's, Tommasini's, etc, to this ALAN frame hanging up in the rafters. He said this would be the frame he would buy. I bought it and I have not been sorry. It is a great ride and comfortable for an aluminium frame. I commuted on it for quite a while. It has a near full '83 Campy Super record gruppo but I did change the seat tube to a stronger 2 bolt Nuovo record model. The levers are Simplex Retrofriction. I drilled (drillium) the rear derailleur to match the drilled Sugino rings just to enhance the light weight 'feel' of the bike. It also polishes up very nicely:

I personally thought I was quite lucky living close to DeGrandi Cycles as I considered it to be one of Australia's premier bike shops. Shane DeGrandi had a remarkable memory and could answer any question, regarding bikes (and usually Campagnolo based), I could throw at him. Shane personally travelled to Italy and dealt with all the bike manufacturers they stocked in their shop. He even met Tullio Colnago. His dad started the shop in the 1930's, I believe. and had manufactured their own bikes (Valencia and DeGrandi) as well as bikes for companies like Malvern Star for many years - such a wealth of knowledge and experience. (Thanks for all your advice and help over many years Shane.)

Below is my only remaining DeGrandi (Reynolds 531, 61.5cm x 61.5cm, 17lbs with Zeus 2000 Ti cranks and seatpost) - and I'm so pleased it's a track bike:

Below is a Vern Smith Columbus Max bike. This bike has done a heap of Km's:

An 84 Hillman Track bike: I love Hillman's with their racing history and have owned a few over the years. This one has clocked up the commuter miles:

I painted these two. An early 80's Kenevans 'lo-pro' with Weinmann Delta brakes. It doesn't ride nicely as it just wants to maintain a straight line. And, my '78 Fountain' with Columbus SLX. The gruppo is Campy Nuovo Record and uses Campy's Portacatena derailing system from 1978. SLX was actually introduced after 1978 and this is an early McBain SLX built frame:

Oh, the Rossin. A 1990 Rossin Prestige. A special bike. I bought the frame in the early 2000's, my second last bike. I haven't ridden it much as I've been a bit crook but it is probably the nicest riding bike I own. All lugs are specially made and the Tange Prestige tubing is all 6 faceted - except the steerer tube:

The Rossin, a mid 80's Colnago Superissimo SLX and an '88 Colnago Super SL. All with Campy C-Record (and Delta's). the pink and green '91 Colnago is an old team bike and has done a heap of km's:

What! How did a green bike get into this collection? A 1982 Bianchi Campione del Mondo upgraded to a full Campy Nuovo Record gruppo with Portacatena: (I have gone many years without a red bike in my collection - what happened to me?)

Summary: Please go easy on me, I'm an old and feeble minded man who means no harm. I've obviously got hoarding issues too. Take into consideration that I got my first bike in or around 1961 and probably 'collecting' for about 35 to 40 years. I know there are other Forum members with much bigger and grander collections - I know, I've seen some of them and they are REALLY worthwhile looking at. Imagine where you will be with your bike hobby in 35 to 40 years.

Did you actually read through the text and get this far or did you skip the written dribble and just look at the pictures. either way, congratulations. I know I had trouble getting this far and it's my own story.

Wow - Very self absorbed. Sorry guys....YES..... Finally, it's all over now.
Last edited by GaryF on Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:55 am, edited 54 times in total.

Tim

Re: My Bikes - Re-Posting a few photos.

Postby Tim » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:07 pm

More Pics.
Of each bike, with stories.
Please. :D
I'm not bored, they're not plastic. :D

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:18 pm

Also not bored. Please feel free to chronicle your fleet. Especially the 1970s-1980s Australian bikes.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:08 am

Thanks guys. You are both very patient and forgiving. I have tried to do as you have asked by adding to the story above.
Last edited by GaryF on Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:24 am

Must confess to being very drawn to the Vern Smith, any chance you could do more detail on that particular bike. Sorry, I'm a tragic.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:39 am

Hi 10speedsemiracer, I remember going into Vern's shop in Ballarat Road and seeing a number of these Columbus MAX frames on a metal display stand sometime probably in the late 80's. The Columbus MAX frames were about double of the price of a top quality Columbus SLX frame at the time. From memory, the SLX cost around $700 to $800 while the MAX was selling for around $1300. I had seen these frames for sale at DeGrandi's in Geelong and, from memory, they were either the Merckx version or the Pinarello version. Again, my attention was captured.

By the time I discovered this particular bike, a few years later, it was relegated to a training bike for Vern Smith's son. The other MAX frames were long gone. He must have moved on to another training bike. This particular bike was kitted out with a mixture of low cost components. I kept most of the components as it came to me but I did fit Campy Daytona, 9 speed gears and brakes. The stem was frozen into the fork and I have left it that way as it did fit me. I did try to remove it a couple of times but it wasn't budging and I really didn't want to perform major surgery on it to change the stem. Oh, it's not a Cinelli stem, I just had a Cinelli logo laying around doing nothing.

The top tube has been creased in some sort of mishap before it was mine but that doesn't effect it in any way. I think the red is powder coated and the finish is very tough.

The front fork looks like it's carbon but it is actually the correct MAX fork.

It is still a great riding bike even though it has done a lot of work.

It measures 580mm x 580mm c to c with a 73 degree seat tube and a 74 degree head tube. It weighs abt. 23 lbs as you see it. A little heavy but stiff and strong.

Last edited by GaryF on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:49 am

Wonderful collection mate. Absolutely stunning bikes.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:00 am

Thanks Derny Driver - that means a lot to me.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:52 am

The Fountain - you say McBain built? Tell me more.

Do you have any pictures of your Kypo?

Are you single? :P

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:47 am

Hi Pin 20. I've searched everywhere for a photo of the KYPO but I mustn't have taken a photo of it. When I reconditioned it I rang the original builder and he sent me out a decal set to complete the refurbishment.

I really searched high and low for a frame that would accept Campy's Portacatena derailing system. Wouldn't you know it, my boss had this frame sitting in his shed all that time. He was happy to sell it to me. I tried for 3 years to discover it's origins as it was a well built Columbus SLX tubed set with the plastic Columbus plugs at the top of each fork blade. I think SLX was introduced some time around 1981/2.

I took it down to show Shane DeGrandi and his thoughts were that it looked very much like a Kevin McBain built frame. So it's been my "McBain" frame ever since. it is such a nice bike to ride and it does fit me well. I rode it lots before I re-painted it and I thought that seeing as I couldn't unearth it's original identity, I would put my name on it. I also love the Campy Nuovo Record stuff so that is what i built it with.

I saw a photo of a lovely Bob Jackson frame in a magazine, so I used that image to base my paint scheme on.

Yes I am married and my wife looks upon these bikes as her 'retirement fund'.
Last edited by GaryF on Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:54 am

Last edited by GaryF on Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:12 pm

Fantastic collection.
I see you are using Imgur. What’s the trick to posting an actual photo? I can only post links back to Imgur.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:29 pm

Hi Lots of Steel Bikes, thanks.

I've only just got the hang of Imagur (I think). I found that sometimes I have to re-size the image to get it to post in a Forum friendly size. Go to the image and click on the 'pencil' and then click on the Edit button to access the image. I then change the proportions of the image to a smaller size then click on the Apply button then click on the Save Button.

To transfer the image to the Forum, I simply click on my library image which brings up that image. To the right that image is a column titled 'View and Edit Post'. I then go to the bottom link code, titled 'Linked BBCode (Message Boards)' and click on Copy.

Then I go back to my Message in the Forum that I am composing/writing and place my curser in the position I want the image to appear, then I go up to the top of my screen and click on Edit then click on Paste. You will then see Imagur's image code for your photo. Done.

When you exit the message you are composing the image will appear for everyone to see.

Best of luck.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:51 pm

Thanks GaryF. I’ve been using the Imgur app and not getting the same options as you describe. I’ll try direct from the Imgur website.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:06 pm

Lots of steel bikes wrote:Thanks GaryF. I’ve been using the Imgur app and not getting the same options as you describe. I’ll try direct from the Imgur website.
I've been using my computer - are you using the same? Or perhaps a phone? I downloaded Imagur to my computer - I don't think it was an app.?
Last edited by GaryF on Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:30 pm

GaryF wrote:I took it down to show Shane DeGrandi and his thoughts were that it looked very much like a Kevin McBain built frame. So it's been my "McBain" frame ever since. it is such a nice bike to ride and it does fit me well. I rode it lots before I re-painted it and I thought that seeing as I couldn't unearth it's original identity, I would put my name on it. I also love the Campy Nuovo Record stuff so that is what i built it with.
We had a running joke over at the fixed.org.au forum that if you didn't know who built your frame it was a McBain, probably because nobody was going to argue with you!

Who built the DeGrandi frame?

Do you have many spare parts lying around that you would consider selling? Asking for a friend <whistles>

zedries

Postby zedries » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:11 pm

Very glad you started this thread. As I mentioned over in the other thread, I am new to vintage/collector road bikes and I really enjoy looking at them and seeking out the stories behind them. I rebuild old Hondas no one wants to it takes a similar eye for detail to make them OEM.

Anyway, I digress.

Can I ask if you commuted with any of the track bikes and if so.. how? I mean, no gears or brakes. Did you use flintstone foot brakes? lol

Thanks again.
Zaahir

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:29 pm

zedries wrote:Can I ask if you commuted with any of the track bikes and if so.. how? I mean, no gears or brakes.
Skidzzz

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:57 pm

Hi Lots of Steel Bikes, I was using my Apple computer and I downloaded Imgur from a search I did. It was not an app. Unfortunately I'm at the end on my Computer knowledge. Hopefully some one else can shed light on your predicament.

PIN20, That's probably where Shane DeGrandi was coming from too, hahaha. That would suit his sense of humour.

Unfortunately my stocks of spares are generally well gone. I only have a few odds and ends left. I tried to get rid of everything during my last two builds.

I did ask Shane who might have built my track bike. He didn't really know but did suggest a couple of builders they used around that time. i forget exactly who they were but I think George McDonald may have been one of them.

zedries, I love the old Honda's too although I know I would kill myself if I had one. I never grew-up with motorbikes. I like the old 750 4's as well as the old XL's.

I did crash into the side of a car whilst riding a little Honda 100. He crossed my path whilst doing a RH turn. It really hurt. He then left me lying there in the middle of the road probably because I was only a bike rider. A serious leg injury from that crash has re-shaped my life ever since.

I often commuted on a track bike with no brakes. I loved it but I did live out in the country and rode into Geelong mainly. It just took a little planning ahead. Malvern Star, 5 Stars were my usual track bikes and I only really traded my first one in when I was passed by a guy riding a 10 speed road bike. He had taller gears than me. That was the first time I had ever been passed by another rider. The track bike had to go! I did continue to buy and sell track bikes and I always had to do some commuting on them.

I lived in Christchurch, New Zealand for about a year and commuted to work on a NZ built track bike. I had to ride across Christchurch city to work. If I was on my game and went flat out I could get across the city getting every green light. Occasionally I was not feeling my best and had to do some pretty fancy riding to avoid the change of lights and the cars crossing my path.

I often rode through Melbourne too and I never had any issues being on a track bike. I suppose they were different times.

The last track bike I did commute on was the deep red Hillman I showed above. It was a great old bike and just felt the part below me. I took it to Hillman's and they gave me it's history. It was built by Gordon Hill in 1984. It has a 71.5 degree seat tube and a 76.5 degree head tube. The front rake and head tube angle make it quite twitchy on the road.

Occasionally I would pack-up 2 or 3 track bikes and visit the Brunswick or Coburg tracks for a little fun. There is nothing like putting the foot down and racing around a velodrome.
Last edited by GaryF on Sat May 05, 2018 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gordon1

Postby Gordon1 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:42 pm

As noted in my very few posts I keep away from "showing off" on the Intermernet thinghy but am happy to show select people my collection. This is not a criticism merely me being me. Having said that you have some beautiful bikes. I also have a thing for Italian bikes, but also old ones, Aussie ones and on I go. While I don't have as many Colnago's my Italian stable has many brands (and two Italian motorbikes) so I'm impressed.

You attention to detail with the build and history is what impresses me. I'm not a bike mechanic (office worker) but your builds seem first class but more importantly the story behind them is what impresses me most. I say to others "while it is nice if others approve of your bikes the only one you need to impress is yourself". If you think some aren't up to your obviously high standard I can find room for some of them even though I fear they are too big for me.

I have told myself, no more bikes but really want a Rossin, one day.

Well done on am impressive collection with a story. Enjoy them, ride them safely and keep the story going

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:48 pm

Ok, if we're putting hands up for bikes, I'll have the Vern Smith despite my dislike of Campagnolo.....

Only joking..

Seriously though, a wonderful collection of cycles from the era that I love.

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:11 pm

Something else that appeals to me is that they're all more or less the same size.
Intended to be ridden by you, not just a static collection.
Beautiful working bikes.
My guess is you are around about 6 foot+ tall.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:24 pm

GaryF wrote:
Lots of steel bikes wrote:Thanks GaryF. I’ve been using the Imgur app and not getting the same options as you describe. I’ll try direct from the Imgur website.
I've been using my computer - are you using the same? Or perhaps a phone? I downloaded Imagur to my computer - Idon't think it was an app.?
I think I got it. Not sure why it wasn’t working before.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:39 pm

Lots of steel bikes wrote:
GaryF wrote:
I've been using my computer - are you using the same? Or perhaps a phone? I downloaded Imagur to my computer - Idon't think it was an app.?
I think I got it. Not sure why it wasn’t working before.
Well Done!

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:30 pm

Hi Gordon1 and thanks for your support. Personally, I love seeing other bike collections no matter how big or small they are. One bike or 100 bikes, I always get something out of it - always the infectious passion of the collector.

However, It is up to you as to who sees your bikes - I support your choice.

Having been a member of this forum for about 11 years, and enjoying the contact with other bike enthusiasts as well as the sharing of knowledge, I was upset to see all my photos, over this period of time, to disappear when the host for my photographs, Photobucket, changed their hosting strategy. This has been my attempt to re-record many of the bikes I have discussed, for a number of reasons, over this past 11 years.

I'm sure your bikes would be fantastic to admire so I hope one day we will see them - again - your choice.

I must admit, I saw the Rossin for sale and had to have it due to the unbelievable lugs and tubing. It was a visual thing. To my complete surprise, it had beautifully neutral road manners, comfortable ride and it fitted me like a glove. I wish I had discovered it back in 1990 when it first hit the bikeshops. best wishes with your Rossin search.