My Bikes - Re-Posting a few photos.

10speedsemiracer

Re: My Bikes - Re-Posting a few photos.

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:44 pm

Was there a Masi in the collection? Don't recall seeing one. Always had a hankering for a late 70s Gran Criterium (?).
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

nemo57

Postby nemo57 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:00 pm

GaryF wrote:I have always loved old Hillman track bikes and have often commuted on one of them. I know Hillman's are not everyone's 'cup of tea' but who's thread is it anyway? Hehehe.

I got this one from that nice guy in Geelong and it has seen a fair bit of commuting. It came with no decals so I painted 'Hillman' on the downtube and sourced the other decals from Hillman's. It was made in 1984 from Reynolds 531 by Gordon Hill for 'Emmanuel' (I think) 61.5 x 61.5 c to c. I like the 'H' milled into the fork crown. The components are a mix of economical (Sugino/SR/Sunshine) but great quality bits and pieces. About a year ago I changed the stem to this Nitto dropped stem as it has 'the' look.

There was just something I admired about Gordon Hill's approach to frame building. The feeling I got was that it was a bike frame; a tool to help get the job done. These lugs will do the job; that tubeset is strong and light. Set the frame up straight; cut the mitres properly; make sure the brazing fills the lugs. You need a set of pedals - there's a good set of pedals in that Campy 50th anniversary set over there - we'll use those.
Gordon was very pleased to see this. And I think you're right about his no-bull approach. He's still making lovely frames and restoring and repairing and full of strength and enthusiasm. I'll be having the kid's new circa 1966 relic to him in the new year for a bit of attention.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:08 pm

I remember the last frame he built for his dad - a beautifully lugged and crafted frame.

I think I have owned just as many road Hillmans as track Hillmans and they have all been wonderful bikes. Comfortable, stiff at the bottom bracket, predictable and neutral geometry and straight as a die. It's just that l really can't go past the Hillman track bikes - love 'em.

It was always a bit of a trek for me to visit Hillmans but I enjoyed each and every visit. I really don't think I ever left the store without a good chin wag and some special treasure ranging from that missing osgear component to that special Zeus 6 speed alloy block to a pair of highly polished Mavic rims to .... well anything really.
Last edited by GaryF on Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:13 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:Was there a Masi in the collection? Don't recall seeing one. Always had a hankering for a late 70s Gran Criterium (?).
No - unfortunately. I have never come across a Masi in my travels. At least one looking for a new home. A 70's Gran Criterium would be such a fantastic bike to own. Best wishes finding one.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:22 pm

Yes! I know, another bl**dy Colnago. I'm adding this one because it is pretty subdued for a Colnago and it has been re-painted. It's a Colnago Superissimo made out of that great Columbus SLX tubing. The groupset is Campagnolo 2nd Gen. C-Record with Cinelli XA stem and Giro d'Italia bars. Campy 'Pneumatic' Electra saddle is also unusual. The frame measures 61 !/2 x 58 1/2 degree C to C. I reckon it's a mid 80's frame.

Like all Colnago's, the geometry suits me and it produces a very neutral and predictable ride. It's just a nice bike. I bought it during the 90's and, to be honest, it hasn't seen too many miles beneath my posterior. As mentioned, it has been re-painted so I assume it has had an extensive working life before my ownership.

LG

Postby LG » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:32 am

Wow, this is a thread which keeps on giving! Just curious about your storage arrangements for the bikes, they look pristine so assume they aren't housed in a damp shed leaning against walls and each other. It's an issue I'm grappling with at the moment and considering adding another room to the house, would then need to work out how to mount/display them.
LG = Low Gear

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:42 am

+1

They're set up really nice. The XA stem and Deltas look great. (How do you find their braking power and ease of setup?) I love the elegant simplicity of DT shifters hidden cables and a nice quill stem. I think steel bike design/set up reached its apotheosis in the early nineties just prior to ergo/sti coming in.

Good to see a 2002 hinged 3T stem too on the pink and green one. I can't quite see if you have retained the button on the bolt hole. I thought I lost mine somewhere in the workshop a few years back and it sent me into a mild panic. :lol: Found it a couple of weeks later after a thorough search. It had flicked out during a service onto the bench hidden in some tools.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:21 pm

G'day LG, all my bikes are in my single car garage. The car is out and the bikes are in. Some, you can't see in the photo, are hanging up from the ceiling too.

I grappled with this storage issue too and my only solution was to whack in a 45 x 90 piece of dressed pine across the ceiling of the garage roof at a calculated distance from the end wall. then I calculated the centre distance between bikes giving then a little clearance between each other and hang them by their wheel rims in a head to tail fashion. Others are held by 2 hooks, attached to front and back rims and hung up-side-down from the ceiling. Good luck with your storage design. Personally I don't like it much but that's about all I can do. It just makes accessing a particular bike a but awkward.

Believe it or not, I used to have double the amount of bikes when I lived in Melbourne and some were much more collectable than what you see here, but a move to Queensland, and having only a single car garage, the collection had to be halved. Boy that hurt and it took me a good three years of grieving to get used to it.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:32 pm

Hi Uncle Just, I remember when Cinelli introduced the XA stem; I had to get one. It took a little time to get one second hand but get one I did. I always found the older 1A stem to creak as the clamp/bar connection was never perfect. I found the 1R stem to be better in that regard so I hoped the XA would be silent and the stem/bar union to be better. I did find it to be better.

A few years ago I took a good look at my bikes as an 'overall' assessment as to what I had and realised I didn't have a bike with a Cinelli XA stem at the time. That HAD to be corrected! The search was on again. Found on on ebay and the best candidate I had for this stem was the Colnago Superissimo. I think it looks the part and improves the bike.

I grew-up using downtube shifters so they're second nature to me. I did race but most of my riding was long distance commuting so I would generally stick it in one gear and ride. I didn't need to change gears that much at all. I do think 'brifters' are far superior in a race situation but I do prefer the look of the downtube shifters.

Now, you've hit on two very debated questions in the crazy world of C-Record; how do delta's stop and how easy is it to adjust them? I must admit, even though I love Campagnolo, that I was really 'wounded' when I discovered that the C-Record brakes needed unusually sized Allan Keys of 3.5mm and 5.5mm. Why would the stoop to this? Surely Campagnolo could have designed their brakes around more common sizes? Surely they didn't need to sell 'specialty tools' like Allan Keys to make their stuff even more 'special'?

Anyway - Setting up the brakes is fiddly. I like to trim my brake cables with a ferrule to stop the cable fraying. To do this on Deltas is difficult as there is very limited space under the cover to do this. The answer is to trim the cable to it's preferred length then solder the end of the cable to stop the fraying. Do I do this all the time? No I don't - I'm stupid. So I continue to add a ferrule and tuck it in behind the cover as it is a little quicker but much more frustrating.

To adjust the cable you do need three hands at times but I have found a spring action clamp to help hold the brake shoes close to the rims helps. ( I usually struggle through this process with only 2 hands - haha.) The shoe has to be held close to the rim while you adjust the cable clamp to hold the cable. I find using a pair of pointy nosed pliers helps to pull tight in the cable as you tighten the clamp helps. Yes, you do need three hands.

Prior to this (or the next step) is to trim the cable to length as the cable only has very limited length after it leaves the clamp before it fouls on the tyre. You still need to leave a little length on the cable to make future adjustments a little easier though. I find the cable needs to be 'curled' around a little and placed into position before the cover can be put back into place.

Now, the brake shoe (spring action) clamp must be released. If it is not in the 'right position, the cable clamp must be released and the cable fed through the clamp (usually) a little further. The brake shoes need to be set a little closer to the rim on Deltas, due to the different mechanical advantage the C-Record levers have over the older Super Record levers. I think your wheels need to be quite true when using Deltas. PLEASE NOTE: I find that there is usually just enough slack in the brake system to allow the shoes to part just enough to be in the 'right position' (with a little gap between shoe and rim) after the shoes have been clamped up against the wheel rim during the cable adjustment phase.

All this mucking around can come unstuck if you haven't tightened the cable clamp effectively as the brake levers do exert quite a bit of pressure on the linkage set-up within the Delta calliper. The clamp has to be tight using that 'stupid' 3.5mm Allan Key.

Do they Stop - yes the C-Record Delta's do but they must be adjusted perfectly. I can remember only using the Delta's once 'in anger'. I needed to stop - no iff's or but's. I nearly went over the handlebar. I do remember having a Croce d'Aune Delta brakeset once that I never seemed to be able to adjust. Stopping using this set was really only a suggestion. I should have spent more time analysing the braking set-up of this Croce d'Aune brakeset as it should have been better that what I was getting out of it.

Still, the Delta's do look fantastic and sometime looks can be very important - hahaha.

Really, to save all this fuss I could have gone down the Chorus (and later Athena) route and settled for those beautiful mono-callipers and the sculptured Chorus crank set.

I'm an 80's bike fan but I do think the 90's steel set-ups were fantastic and I do own a few 90's bikes and really enjoy riding them.

The 3ttt stem still has the button but I did loose one on my favourite ITM quill stem - I haven't gotten over that, so I know how you feel. Luckily you new where to look for yours.

Very sorry to be so long winded.
Last edited by GaryF on Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:04 pm

Very sorry to be so long winded.
Not at all, it's like having a good conversation while out riding on a quiet bit of country road. :wink:

I had some polishing done on some stems and posts last year by the guy who runs CycloRetro in Melb. Nice guy with a great collection of 80s, 90s steel bikes. He has a quite a few pairs of Deltas and he told me he found a way to set them up reasonably easily iirc. Can't remember the details but he was a bike mechanic at one stage and is a pretty cluey guy. If you aren't aware already have a look at his website, he does amazing pantographing, polishing and resto work. Campag have apparently sent him stuff to do!

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:30 pm

Thanks Uncle Just, I don't know him but I will look him up, thanks.

I know you can buy a 3rd hand to help hold the brake shoes next to the rim but I don't own one - must get one.

Thanks for your tips - nice chatting.

Update - I looked him up and he does some amazing work. His bikes are great too. I can't believe that I was in Bentleigh about 4 days ago - should have looked him up.

LG

Postby LG » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:20 pm

GaryF wrote:G'day LG, all my bikes are in my single car garage. The car is out and the bikes are in. Some, you can't see in the photo, are hanging up from the ceiling too.

If its any consolation, my shed is slightly more shambolic. It is quite frustrating really to have a good assortment of bikes but difficulty storing and accessing. At least your garage looks dry so corrosion won't be an issue.
LG = Low Gear

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:06 pm

Hi LG, don't you wish you were into folding bikes? Those guys must laugh at us with our 'heart throbs' sporting all their protruding bits and pieces that never seem to fit next door to each other.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:38 pm

I've got to hand it to myself - (because I'm probably the only one to actually make it this far in this self-indulgent and pretty boring thread) - I'm now determined (I think) to record a little about each one of my bikes. Not my original aim but I'm going down this path now.

Here go's another one:

This is what I think is an early attempt at building a time trial road bike by Ken Evans. I bought this frame in the 90's from the De Grandi bike shop 'fire sale' (no actual fire) at the same time I bought the Berretto 'low-pro' track frame.

Up close you can see evidence of the difficulty the frame builder must have had curving the top tube. This tube has marks produced in the bending process which I like. The frame is built from Reynolds 531 Pro tubing which runs a 700c rear wheel and a 650c front wheel. The rare Weinmann Delta Brake set, Shimano Arabesque derailleurs and other components that came from my spare parts collection (which has just about gone now). It really didn't cost me much to get it on the road.

I repainted the frame as it was in pretty poor condition.

To be honest, it is difficult to ride as it really only wants to track in a straight line.

Last edited by GaryF on Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:54 am

GaryF wrote:I've got to hand it to myself - (because I'm probably the only one to actually make it this far in this self-indulgent and pretty boring thread) - I am showing determination to record a little about each one of my bikes.

Here go's another one:

This is what I think is an early attempt at building a time trial road bike by Ken Evans. I bought this frame in the 90's from the De Grandi bike shop 'fire sale' (no actual fire) at the same time I bought the Berretto 'low-pro' track frame.

Up close you can see evidence of the difficulty the frame builder must have had curving the top tube. This tube has marks produced in the bending process which I like. The frame is built from Reynolds 531 Pro tubing which runs a 700c rear wheel and a 650c front wheel. The rare Weinmann Delta Brake set, Shimano Arabesque derailleurs and other components that came from my spare parts collection (which has just about gone now). It really didn't cost me much to get it on the road.

I repainted the frame as it was in pretty poor condition.

To be honest, it is difficult to ride as it really only wants to track in a straight line.

Please tell me this bike has a nickname....I was thinking Thoracic Park (cos my upper back hurt just thinking of riding it in traffic). Seriously, lovely bike.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:26 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:
Please tell me this bike has a nickname....I was thinking Thoracic Park (cos my upper back hurt just thinking of riding it in traffic). Seriously, lovely bike.
Hahaha that's funny!

Something tells me that you wouldn't believe me if I tell you it's really not that bad on your back to ride. But honestly, it's not all that physically and structurally demanding on your body to ride. I haven't measured the seat tube angle relative to a flat top bar bike, but I suspect it is a little upright. other than that, the riding position is very similar to riding in the drops.

As you can see, I do have the stem up a little so there is scope for the riding position to be lowered if required. Also, the stem could be lifted to accomodate clip-on bars it you wanted to 'play' with that position.

Apart from the riding position being 'not too bad' if you can deal with riding in the drops, it really isn't a bike you would like to be on in traffic. Unless you gained confidence dealing with it's 'straight-on' tendencies.

The seat tube is 59cm c to c and the weight as you see it is 21 lb. It's weight is only slightly lighter than an average bike of this size of that era.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:26 am

I've owned four Pinarello's over the years and they have all been the Asolo model. The Asolo's were built from Columbus Cromor tubing which is a cost effective tubeset but provides very similar properties to Columbus SLX. Riding this bike, I cannot tell the difference between these two tubesets - not that I could tell the difference between any of the top end Columbus tubesets.

As I have previously stated, two of my Asolo frames developed a crack in the RH rear dropout. I repaired the cracks with a brazing job. They never cracked again. While I'm on the job of pointing out 'faults' with the Pinarello frames of this era, the decals have a real habit of becoming brittle, cracking and flaking off. I went over the missing or flaked off parts of the decals with paint to tidy them up. Really, I need to buy a replacement set of decals from 'CYCLEMONDO' to do the job properly.

This frame is a mid-eighty's build and I estimate it is 1986 due to the fact that it has two sets of bidon mounts and an internally routed rear brake cable. It is currently sporting a Suntour Superb Pro groupset but I have changed the bar to a flat bar along with the brake levers as this is now my 'shopping' bike. In my old age this bike is the one I ride the most. It had also seen quite a few commuting miles in years past. A couple of years back I stacked it quite spectacularly but, to my surprise, it came away without too much damage at all.

I really like the Suntour Superbe Pro groupset of this era with its slant parallelogram rear derailleur that changed very nicely compared to everything else. Top shelf stuff. (And I call myself a Campagnolo tragic - I should hang my head in shame.)

It's just a very nice bike to ride.

MUCH LATER UPDATE: I crashed the poor Pinarello. The good news is that I can't find any damage at all on the Pinarello except for a scrape on the saddle which is just a cheapy anyway. I crashed hard but I recovered after about a week. How did I crash you might ask? Well.... I was on the way home and it just started to rain. I put the foot down but had to negotiate a tight 'S' bend that wound downhill like some of the corners on Mt Panorama. All was going well when, leaving the final bend a council road repair saw the road surface with an opposite camber to the actual road. The front wheel decided 'enough was enough' and released its grip. Down I went - first crash in many years. Luckily a passing schoolboy helped me to the side of the road and rang an ambulance.
Last edited by GaryF on Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:13 pm

GaryF wrote:I've owned four Pinarello's over the years and they have all been the Asolo model. The Asolo's were built from Columbus Cromor tubing which is a cost effective tubeset but provides very similar properties to Columbus SLX. Riding this bike, I cannot tell the difference between these two tubesets - not that I could tell the difference between any of the top end Columbus tubesets.........I really like the Suntour Superbe Pro groupset of this era with its slant parallelogram rear derailleur that changed very nicely compared to everything else. Top shelf stuff. (And I call myself a Campagnolo tragic - I should hang my head in shame.)

It's just a very nice bike to ride.

YES ! SunTour Superbe Pro on a steel Pinarello. And I like the fact that the SunTour bike is the workhorse of the fleet. Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go (to paraphrase a quote from one of my favourite movies)

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:53 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote: YES ! SunTour Superbe Pro on a steel Pinarello. And I like the fact that the SunTour bike is the workhorse of the fleet. Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go (to paraphrase a quote from one of my favourite movies)
What!!! Did I say, or suggest that!!! I'll have to wash my mouth out.

Gee.......Perhaps there's some truth in that.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:21 pm

Hi Gary, 80's Pinarellos always get my attention ;)

Was it that the decals that were brittle or was it that Giovanni didn't clear coat his frames?

Interested in your estimate of '86 - I thought that sounded a bit early for Cromor tubing. A bit of Googling tells me Columbus Matrix was the precursor to Cromor - something to do with Trek having rights to the Matrix name. The Asolo first appears in the '87 Pinarello catalogue as a Cadore frame with Matrix tubing. I'm not sure when the Matrix/Cromor change took place, but the '89 Pinarello catalogue has the Cadore frame with Cromor tubing - the Asolo wasn't featured in that catalogue edition.

So unless someone swapped the Matrix decal for a Cromor one, I reckon your frame is a couple of years later than '86. But I know catalogues and internet research have to be taken with a grain of salt, plus it doesn't really matter anyway, seeing as it's a beautiful bicycle that gets regular use! :D

I've got an '85 Montello. Hence my interest.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:32 am

P!N20 wrote:Hi Gary, 80's Pinarellos always get my attention ;)

Was it that the decals that were brittle or was it that Giovanni didn't clear coat his frames?

Interested in your estimate of '86 - I thought that sounded a bit early for Cromor tubing. A bit of Googling tells me Columbus Matrix was the precursor to Cromor - something to do with Trek having rights to the Matrix name. The Asolo first appears in the '87 Pinarello catalogue as a Cadore frame with Matrix tubing. I'm not sure when the Matrix/Cromor change took place, but the '89 Pinarello catalogue has the Cadore frame with Cromor tubing - the Asolo wasn't featured in that catalogue edition.

So unless someone swapped the Matrix decal for a Cromor one, I reckon your frame is a couple of years later than '86. But I know catalogues and internet research have to be taken with a grain of salt, plus it doesn't really matter anyway, seeing as it's a beautiful bicycle that gets regular use! :D

I've got an '85 Montello. Hence my interest.
You're probably spot on with your dating. I can't quite remember when I bought my first 2nd hand Pinarello Asolo from Beasley's in Footscray but I think it must have been in or around 1989 and that was made of Columbus Cromor so that fits in with your estimate.

I must admit to be lacking a real connection to the Pinarello marque but I do appreciate them and enjoy riding them. One exception would be the Pinarello Banesto's - now they are most desirable in my eyes. I especially like the Miguel Indurain era Banesto's; I loved to watch him ride. I think my slight indifference to my Pinarello's in that I regard them as tools that will get the job done and I never really lusted after them in the 80's like I did with Colnago, Cinelli or Tomassini. Strange - I'd never really thought about that before.

As for the decals, yes they are brittle and they do lack a clear coat. I think they have proved to be a real flaw in the Pinarello's I have owned. I have also found that some decals can be un-effected and are in great condition while other decals can break down and flake off on the same bike. How is your Montello in this regard? It must be a fantastic bike to own.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:32 am

^ Yeah, vintage Pinarellos have always been a bit utilitarian compared to the other Italian marques of the era. Maybe because they didn't get carried away with flamboyant paint jobs! Speaking of which, did you ever have a Somec, Gary?

My Montello didn't have any decals when I bought it, don't think it was the original paint either. So now it has Cyclomondo decals and a clear coat. They won't be going anywhere in a hurry!

Interesting that you are drawn to the Banesto Pinarellos - they don't seem to command the high prices on the second hand market like the Montellos and Prestiges do.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:53 pm

P!N20 wrote:^ Yeah, vintage Pinarellos have always been a bit utilitarian compared to the other Italian marques of the era. Maybe because they didn't get carried away with flamboyant paint jobs! Speaking of which, did you ever have a Somec, Gary?

My Montello didn't have any decals when I bought it, don't think it was the original paint either. So now it has Cyclomondo decals and a clear coat. They won't be going anywhere in a hurry!

Interesting that you are drawn to the Banesto Pinarellos - they don't seem to command the high prices on the second hand market like the Montellos and Prestiges do.
I fully agree with your 'utilitarian' description of the Pinarello's with their mainly solid colour schemes. I must say that my very first Asolo was painted in the most attractive sea green and with white components, it really was eye-catching. I think a solid red is my iconic Pinarello colour.

Interesting thoughts regarding the Banesto colour scheme and their general worth. I tend to agree that this paint scheme is not that attractive but, for me, it's the connection to Indurain that influences me. To me, he was just so powerful and dominating along with a fluid style and 'grin' on his face when under race pressure even though he seemed to struggle to tuck right down. I did paint a track bike based on the Banesto paint scheme, it was a little complicated in places and never quite grabbed your attention.

I personally like the Cyclemondo decals and the clear coat will prove long lasting - as you suggest. I would love to have found a Montello model but never did,; a top shelf frame. I have only rarely seen a Somec and never had the opportunity to buy one.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:30 pm

P!N20 wrote:^

My Pinarello Veneto with Cyclomondo decals.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:48 pm

Lots of steel bikes wrote:
P!N20 wrote:^

My Pinarello Veneto with Cyclomondo decals.

Nice looking Pinarello "Lots" with an interesting mix of top components. It looks like a great set-up and the black decals do look the part. My favourite component is what I think is an old ITM seatpost.