Do you know what this vintage bike is?

meeka_uneakk

Re: George Robinson and Rob's Cycles, Blackburn VIC.

Postby meeka_uneakk » Sat May 26, 2018 5:23 pm

Hi, I have this bike I was wondering if anyone could give me any information on?

I am thinking about restoring it to its former glory.

meeka_uneakk

Do you know what this vintage bike is?

Postby meeka_uneakk » Sun May 27, 2018 9:44 am

Hi, I have this bike I was wondering if anyone could give me any information on?
It says Robs Special on it which I was able to track back to a local bike maker but I don't know the era or any other information about it.

I am thinking about restoring it to its former glory if it's worth the time.

Tequestra

Re: Do you know what this vintage bike is?

Postby Tequestra » Sun May 27, 2018 10:57 am

A rough guess based on the curves in the frame tells me '70s because it has the ubiquitous 'Dragster' style, and the tread on the front tyre tells me '80s because of the pattern which I have never seen on any of the bikes I knew in the '70s. The tyre might have been changed, but looking at the condition and estimating the mileage such a bike would have travelled, I'd guess that tyre is original. It could be older, but I don't suspect it would be post-1985, because the BMX style seems to have become the trend in the '80s, and curves in the down-tubes went out of fashion.
Viva le Tour Electrique' !!!

Tamiya

Postby Tamiya » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:40 pm

How big is that thing?

Any chance it's a "homemade special" welded together from cutdown tubes of an adult ladies frame, plus pram wheels? :)

piledhigher

Postby piledhigher » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:47 pm

Tamiya wrote:How big is that thing?

Any chance it's a "homemade special" welded together from cutdown tubes of an adult ladies frame, plus pram wheels? :)
Robs was local bike shop in Blackburn, Vic.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:48 pm

Looks like one of the kids bikes sold, as mentioned above, by George Robinson at Rob's Cycles (bottom end of Blackburn rd Blackburn) right next to the railway line.

This was probably a generic frame which was stickered up and sold, probably with a coaster-brake rear hub. Not one of his 'higher end' offerings, but if you have someone small in the family who would enjoy, I'd say recommission it.

I grew up in the area and Rob's Cycles was where I bought my bike bits, air rifle pellets and .22 ammo thru the mid 70s into the 80s. Very nice gentleman was Mr Rob (never knew him by any other name).
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go