PRESERVE FLAKING CHROME FRAME

ralds

PRESERVE FLAKING CHROME FRAME

Postby ralds » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:50 am

Hi guys, I just picked up a very nice hand-painted frame (make unknown, I'm pretty sure its Columbus tubing):

https://imgur.com/a/2Gp2Ys5

Unfortunately, some of the chrome on the thinner rear tubes that connect to the dropouts is starting to peel/flake (copy link into browser and scroll down to see pics). The rest of the chrome and paint is in good condition so I don't want to strip it (also to save $). Does anyone have any tips on how to stop the flaking process? There is a bit of superficial rust but I will be able to scrub that off fairly easily with steel wool or aluminium foil. My idea was to scrape of the flaky pieces of chrome, scrub off the rust and then apply a few layers of clear coat over the top to hopefully stick everything down/ preserve it.

Does anyone have any ideas/experience with something like this?

Cheers

Tamiya

Re: PRESERVE FLAKING CHROME FRAME

Postby Tamiya » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:30 pm

Yes, flaking chrome is a PITA to serial restorers... 20-30yrs ago we'd send it out & get it properly rechromed, but these days there's no rechroming shops nearby anymore & even if you did find one in oz they don't work cheap. :(

Had a look at your pic... yeah yours is probably pretty far gone.

I'd start by grabbing a razorblade then chipping off every flake that will come off. It's no point gluing it back on with lacquer, it looks crap and you'll only be trapping moisture next to raw steel.

Next I'd treat the rust, depending on what finish you choose. Soak in EvapoRust or Oxalic Acid if I want all the brown stuff gone, leaving raw steel - you can hit that with a buffer until it's shiny steel then clearcoat it. Treat with a Phosphoric Acid if you want to be left with a black rough surface you can primer & paint.

Lately I'm hearing the oldcar guys are sending stuff overseas for rechroming :( Vietnam gets mentioned a bit, but I haven't yet done any serious investigation myself.

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:01 pm

Must be some crazy car people about, there at least two good chromers in NSW alone , I use EPT in Queanbeyan. The only fix for rusty chrome is new chrome.
Ozpushies! for ALL Australian made bikes.
"It's only original once"

ralds

Postby ralds » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:48 pm

Tamiya wrote:Yes, flaking chrome is a PITA to serial restorers... 20-30yrs ago we'd send it out & get it properly rechromed, but these days there's no rechroming shops nearby anymore & even if you did find one in oz they don't work cheap. :(

Had a look at your pic... yeah yours is probably pretty far gone.

I'd start by grabbing a razorblade then chipping off every flake that will come off. It's no point gluing it back on with lacquer, it looks crap and you'll only be trapping moisture next to raw steel.

Next I'd treat the rust, depending on what finish you choose. Soak in EvapoRust or Oxalic Acid if I want all the brown stuff gone, leaving raw steel - you can hit that with a buffer until it's shiny steel then clearcoat it. Treat with a Phosphoric Acid if you want to be left with a black rough surface you can primer & paint.

Lately I'm hearing the oldcar guys are sending stuff overseas for rechroming :( Vietnam gets mentioned a bit, but I haven't yet done any serious investigation myself.
Thanks a lot for the advice! Do you think that the pieces will just keep flaking off as I scrape or will I eventually reach a spot where the chrome is still stuck down?

scooter1971

Postby scooter1971 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:55 pm

Yes, you will eventually get to an edge where the chrome plate is still attached, you can usually see where this might be before you start, anyway it's best to get all the flakes off (as mentioned above).

I'm about to do the same with the inside of a chain stay (where the mud and gunk builds up) and I know pretty much how much chrome will have to go.