Identification Help - A Healing, A Koala, A Rust bucket, and mum's Speedwell

ShouldvStayedHome

Identification Help - A Healing, A Koala, A Rust bucket, and mum's Speedwell

Postby ShouldvStayedHome » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:57 pm

Hi All.

I've done a lot of reading on this forum for interest sake, but never had reason/motivation to post.

On the weekend I moved some bikes at my parents from a pretty crap shed, to a slightly less crap shed in order to hopefully preserve them a bit better.

Dad has some Idea where they come from, but he's not sure, and I was wondering if any of you could help date them, and if not, you might like to look at the photos anyway.

Bike 1 is a Healing frame only. I think it used to be complete, I may have messed around with it in my teens, and I'm not sure where the missing bits ended up. I've got the wheels and the drop bars, but no fork, stem, or missing crank/chainwheel. Rear coaster brake, I neglected to note the make of the hub unfortunately.
Dad thinks this might have been his uncle's bike. He always referred to the rusty bike below as his uncles bike but has changed his mind.
From some of the other healing threads, it might be circa 1930s from the bolted seat stays?
No fancy lugs. Serial number on the bottom bracket is H37717 (I think). Brazed on pump holder.

Bike 2. Bradley Brothers - Sydney "Koala". 24" Wheels.
I googled around a bit looking for Bradley Brothers but couldn't find anything relevant.
The tyres aren't that old, I rode this around a bit when I was a kid.
Cranks are stamped British Made, but couldn't make out any other marks.
There is a possible serial number on the BB B1010.
Dad thinks it was bought for his sisters to ride around on (so 70s), but not sure if it was new or not.

Bike 3. This is the bike Dad referred to as his uncles bike until recently, he now thinks it might have been his Grandfather's bike. He died in 1943 at the age of 80, apparently he used to ride from Near Peak Hill, to Narromine in NSW but I'm not sure when that was.
Ignore the coaster brake on it, that's the wheel off the healing above, it was a fixed gear. The hub brand is "Defiance". I couldn't find any markings on the cranks.
It's mostly rusty. I've included photos of the head badge and down tube badges, but there's not much to see.
Serial Number on the seat clamp is 62942

Bike 4. I less exciting and I know a bit more about. Mum's Speedwell ladies bike. Early 70s. But I thought I'd include it since I was taking photos.

Thanks for reading. I'd really appreciate it if anyone has any insight into when the bikes are from, particularly the rusty bike. If you don't thanks for reading and I hope your found the pictures at least sort of interesting.

find_bruce

Re: Identification Help - A Healing, A Koala, A Rust bucket, and mum's Speedwell

Postby find_bruce » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:11 pm

Welcome outside. Words, photos & an interesting story, great first post!
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Torana68

Re: Identification Help - A Healing, A Koala, A Rust bucket, and mum's Speedwell

Postby Torana68 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:43 pm

Without more info the Speedwell is guessed to be mid to late 1950’s
Ozpushies! for ALL Australian made bikes.
"It's only original once"

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:14 am

I've not seen a Koala bike before, very interesting! Pretty sure the forks from the Healing are in the Koala. And the Healing probably dates from late 1930's to late 1940's.

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:10 pm

Good conversation starter “whatcha doin?”, “going for a ride on my Koala”

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:16 pm

Torana68 wrote:Good conversation starter “whatcha doin?”, “going for a ride on my Koala”
How much can a Koala bear ?
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:42 pm

Makes you wonder why you take the time to reply some days.........

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:51 pm

Huh? Did you say something?

Johnj

Postby Johnj » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:09 pm

The legendary Dulwich Hill 6-seater was labelled as a Bradley Brothers Koala when it was picked up off a scrapheap in the 1950s. We originally thought it might have been an early velodrome pacing bike, but more likely it was built by Bradley Brothers for advertising purposes in the 1930s.

ShouldvStayedHome

Postby ShouldvStayedHome » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:33 am

Without more info the Speedwell is guessed to be mid to late 1950’s
That sounds right, it was her cousin's bike first, I mistakenly thought she got it new, "we never got things new".
That's pretty interesting just to see when the shop was about. All these bikes lived in the central west of NSW. But goods came out from Sydney by train and got dropped at the local wheat silo. There's a wardrobe at home that still has the delivery information on it.

I don't think the forks on the Koala are off the Healing, the Koala only has 24" wheels. Consequently, it wouldn't bear much. I wouldn't like to see a full size bloke on it. Poor little Koala.

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:42 pm

Check the clearance of the forks in the Koala with the 24" wheel in them. Far too much clearance. Try a 28" wheel in those forks. Plus the over long steerer tube poking out the top. What does the koala look like when it is standing Up?