Mirella? Mystery bike?

Eug1

Mirella? Mystery bike?

Postby Eug1 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:47 pm

Hi all,
New to the whole retro/vintage bike thing. Started with a mid 90's Shogun earlier this year and had been looking around for something a little more project orientated when I came across this on Facebook Marketplace
I'd love it if somebody was able to give me a bit of history about it, such as where and when it might have been sold, if mine is fitted out with the original components etc?
The only info I can dig up via google is that it might be a Leri Mirella from around mid to late 70's, but the Shimano components strike me as a bit odd. Anyway, pics below and I'd love to hear what people have to say about it in general. Cost me $120 which I'm pretty happy with.

Being new to all this I'd love to know about the components (it was the Arabesque FD &RD which originally caught my eye). I'm thinking to do a full strip down, repaint and rebuild. So many questions lol
Thanks everybody.

10speedsemiracer

Re: Mirella? Mystery bike?

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:02 pm

I've only ever heard the name, and that was a while ago, but have never seen one. Am also slightly surprised at the Shimano gear, would expect Campy or even SunTour bearing in mind the Sansin hubs and DiaCompe calipers, although all of these could have been retro-fit items....

Could be a very nice resto..nice frame.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Eug1

Postby Eug1 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:05 pm

Hi 10speed,
Yes it does seem a bit confused doesn't it? Maybe the frame pre-dates the Shimano gear? I've contacted a guy in the States who has a blog about these bikes, but still very minimal info. He did have a spec sheet for a similar model which showed all Italian components. But he had never seen one like mine with the name at the top of the seat stays.
Probably one of those random brands that popped up then disappeared. It's slightly small for me but it's a keeper, it rides great even without being serviced or touched yet.
I sure would like to know more about it tho.
Cheers

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:02 pm

Eug1 wrote:Hi 10speed,
Yes it does seem a bit confused doesn't it? Maybe the frame pre-dates the Shimano gear? I've contacted a guy in the States who has a blog about these bikes, but still very minimal info. He did have a spec sheet for a similar model which showed all Italian components. But he had never seen one like mine with the name at the top of the seat stays.
Probably one of those random brands that popped up then disappeared. It's slightly small for me but it's a keeper, it rides great even without being serviced or touched yet.
I sure would like to know more about it tho.
Cheers
Not a random brand as such, they have a bit of a following in Europe, but as mentioned I've never seen one in the flesh. Leri Biciclette (the makers of the bike) are still in business (http://www.leribiciclette.it/) and it's possible an email to the Co with the BB serial and some photos would provide further details (info@leribiciclette.it).

Personally, I'd pull the Shimano stuff off the frame and use it on something else and either do a full SunTour Superbe or SunTour Cyclone setup with the Symmetric shifters
or a full Campy set up, maybe something a bit uncommon like Campagnolo Rally. But that's just me (and I'm a bit odd). In any case, is a nice frame, will make a nice project.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:17 pm

An old bloke in Newcastle had one of these, he claimed he brought it with him from the 'old country' (Italy) as a young man. My guesstimate would put that back in the early 1960s? The bike had flat handlebars but was equipped with good quality 60's French equipment- Mafac centrepulls, Simplex gears, Stronglight alloy cranks, Maillard hubs and had forged dropouts and nicely finished lugs. Mind you this stuff was made from the late 50's to the late 70's with little change. His bike did not have the panto-graph stay tops but did still have the headbadge and downtube decals (as in pic below - not his bike!)

Site has more photos of this one with modern bits
http://www.cyclofiend.com/cc/2005/cc028 ... y0805.html

Richard

uart

Postby uart » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:07 pm

Eug1 wrote: Cost me $120 which I'm pretty happy with.
Nice score Eug1. That's probably a very nice Columbus tubed frame, and well worth the money.
WyvernRH wrote:An old bloke in Newcastle had one of these, he claimed he brought it with him from the 'old country' (Italy) as a young man.
Do you happen to know what tubing they used Richard. I can see Columbus decals on the yellow one that you linked, but not sure what type.

Eug1, have you measured the seat post diameter, it's often a good clue to the tubing. BTW, yours like it has a seat tube shim (or is that just the top of the seat tube that has been bashed about a little bit?)

LG

Postby LG » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:52 pm

I can't help with any information, but am curious what the plastic cover thing is on the headset.
LG = Low Gear

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:11 pm

rain collar to maybe avoid moisture dripping down the stem into the headset...perhaps prior owner/rider was a frequent wet weather rider (?)

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:48 pm

Eug1 wrote:
Being new to all this I'd love to know about the components (it was the Arabesque FD &RD which originally caught my eye). I'm thinking to do a full strip down, repaint and rebuild. So many questions lol
Thanks everybody.
Actually the FD is not a match to the RD or the shifters. I find it hard to make out but it looks like a 600ax from the early 80's. It may be a match to the headset though.

Cheers,

Cameron

Eug1

Postby Eug1 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:46 pm

Thanks to all for your replies so far. Very interesting. I'll get some more detailed pictures up over the next few days when I get the chance. I also have received some more info via Facebook about components and materials.

Does anybody know if these bikes were actually sold in Australia?

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:18 am

uart wrote: Do you happen to know what tubing they used Richard. I can see Columbus decals on the yellow one that you linked, but not sure what type.
Sorry, I didn't notice at the time. I haven't seen the old bloke or his bike outside the cafes in Beaumont St for a while now.

Richard

Eug1

Postby Eug1 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:58 pm

Eug1, have you measured the seat post diameter, it's often a good clue to the tubing. BTW, yours like it has a seat tube shim (or is that just the top of the seat tube that has been bashed about a little bit?)

Best I could do with the limited equipment I have. Is there a better way to get the measurement without calipers?

Also, no seat tube shim. That's just excess grease on the seat post. I got paranoid after spending 5 days trying to pull a seized post out of another frame
Last edited by Eug1 on Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eug1

Postby Eug1 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:59 pm

LG wrote:I can't help with any information, but am curious what the plastic cover thing is on the headset.

Eug1

Postby Eug1 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:02 pm

Actually the FD is not a match to the RD or the shifters. I find it hard to make out but it looks like a 600ax from the early 80's. It may be a match to the headset though.

Eug1

Postby Eug1 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:10 pm

Here are some further detailed pics, as well as a image of a spec sheet provided on facebook from Michael Britt, from the group Steel is Real!- Classic Vintage Road Bikes

Thanks again for the feedback so far. It's turning out to be a really interesting bike. I'd love to know the whole story of it's history. Does anybody know if these bikes were sold in Australia or did they all come over "on the boat" from Italy?

Thanks again

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:28 pm

Eug1 wrote:
LG wrote:I can't help with any information, but am curious what the plastic cover thing is on the headset.

Was a short-lived add-on, part of the aero AX thing Shimano were pushing in the 80s.

was supposedly to assist in aerodynamics.
Just a word of warning, that headset needed special wrenches to remove/replace as is made of soft-ish alloy. I have removed without the special wrench but need to be really careful..

Eug1

Postby Eug1 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:22 pm

I've been looking around for a 2nd hand wrench at swap meets but no luck yet. Don't really want to resort to eBay yet. I will need one at some point as the headset is fairly loose. That's why I got the bike so cheaply.

LG

Postby LG » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:57 pm

Interesting headset cover, but marketing improved aerodynamics, really...

With regards to the shimano headset wrench, I've got a few of these headsets and haven't bothered sourcing the original tool, a standard headset spanner works fine as long as you don't go too hard with them.

Interesting kangaroo on the crank, does it have any other markings?
LG = Low Gear

uart

Postby uart » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:19 pm

Eug1 wrote:Best I could do with the limited equipment I have. Is there a better way to get the measurement without calipers?
It's the inside diameter I was thinking about. Probably stamped somewhere on the seat post if it's still readable.

Anyway, it looks like it could be 27.2 from your photo, which is correct for Columbus tubing. I'm pretty sure that will be a nice old frame, nice workmanship and good quality tubing. :)

Eug1

Postby Eug1 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:30 am

I thought I’d provide an update on this project, I can’t believe it’s been so long!!
Well life, kids, a couple of job changes and of course Covid have all done their best to impede progress. Not to mention my own procrastination. I’ve since had the frame stripped and powder coated a nice matte champagne gold. Then I hand painted the lugs with a gloss white and applied new decals. After that I discovered why you don’t get the cheapest clear coat that you come across. The yellowing of the clear coat was very disappointing after all the hours of painting the lugs. Maybe a bit of cut and Polish can bring it back to life?
After a bit of time trying to locally track down a new bottom bracket here in Melbourne (Italian thread Square taper, hard to find here) I’m almost ready to start assembling.
In the meantime I must have purchased, worked on then on-sold half a dozen other bikes. At a financial loss but with educational gains lol. It’s been a interesting and fun hobby to get into.

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:40 pm

Eug1 wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:30 am
I thought I’d provide an update on this project, I can’t believe it’s been so long!!
Well life, kids, a couple of job changes and of course Covid have all done their best to impede progress. Not to mention my own procrastination. I’ve since had the frame stripped and powder coated a nice matte champagne gold. Then I hand painted the lugs with a gloss white and applied new decals. After that I discovered why you don’t get the cheapest clear coat that you come across. The yellowing of the clear coat was very disappointing after all the hours of painting the lugs. Maybe a bit of cut and Polish can bring it back to life?
After a bit of time trying to locally track down a new bottom bracket here in Melbourne (Italian thread Square taper, hard to find here) I’m almost ready to start assembling.
In the meantime I must have purchased, worked on then on-sold half a dozen other bikes. At a financial loss but with educational gains lol. It’s been a interesting and fun hobby to get into.
Fascinating discussion, great to get an update thanks.

To get an Italian thread BB have you tried the (Australian) Retro Cycling Marketplace on Fazebook ?
I reckon I saw an Italian thread bottom bracket in this marketplace group recently, ironically it was a Shimano one :lol:

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:13 pm

elantra wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:40 pm
To get an Italian thread BB have you tried the (Australian) Retro Cycling Marketplace on Fazebook ?
I reckon I saw an Italian thread bottom bracket in this marketplace group recently, ironically it was a Shimano one :lol:
In fact, I believe I have a Shimano NOS Italian thread B/Brkt set out in the shed somewhere. The cups at least are still there at least.
PM me if interested.

Richard

Eug1

Postby Eug1 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:29 pm

I had no luck with the FB Marketplace, nor with any bike shops around town. I even tried a couple of the community run bike sheds.
I did make the mistake of taking out the old bottom bracket, not paying attention to what sort it was, then promptly losing it. I now own a spare English threaded bottom bracket. Whoops
Five minutes after the correct one arrived in the post I had it installed in the frame