MY NEW TRACK BIKE "FRANCESCO" [BRIS]

GYPSY

MY NEW TRACK BIKE "FRANCESCO" [BRIS]

Postby GYPSY » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:24 am

FRAME/FORK: Francesco
TUBING: Ishiwata EX Triple Butted (dating back to late 70's - early 80's)
SIZE: Top Tube - 53cm & Down Tube - 50cm
HEADSET: Kuwahara
STEM: Cinelli
H/BARS: Cinelli Pista
CRANKS: Suntour Superbe PRO 165mm (njs stamped)
SEATPOST: Campagnolo (bladed version)
SADDLE: Turbo
WHEELSET: SE Sasin Hubs (High Flange)/ Mavic Open 4 CD (clincher)
After further investigation i am now even more happier!! This is a snippet from my mate Sheldon Brown's site;

"I am intimately familiar with Ishiwata and their products, having been in the factory a few times, spec'd many bikes with their steel and built with it. I still use Ishiwata tube for frame repair.
The material [022] is virtually identical to Columbus SP/SL/SLX. The top range of tubes were seamles double butted and the finish quality [as delivered to the builder] was much higher than Columbus. The tubing gauge of the 022 is 0.9/0.6 mm, exatcly the same as Columbus SP. It's called "022" because the frame tube set weighs 2.2 kilos. The same material drawn thinner to 0.8/0.5 mm is called "019" because it weighs 1.9 kilos, just like Columbus SL. Many builders, then and now, mix gauges so a small frame might be all 019 but a 56 would have 022 chainstays and downtube for example.

Trek in the late '70s built three racing frames, one with Ishiwata, one Reynolds 531 and one Columbus. Geometry and weight were identical. The prices were unreasonably different because of the cachet of Italian tubing, making the Ishiwata frame the best value. Marketing took over later as the Ishiwata was dropped completely. With the advent of aluminum, the currency crash and the Japanese depression, Ishiwata closed the doors in the early '90s."

I found the Ishiwata Catalogue from back in the day which again justifies what Sheldon has mentioned. Now sad news for some, i have actually taken off the stem + pista bars and replaced them with a 90mm SR stem and riser bar combo with some red oury grips. More control with steering (much needed when riding BRAKELESS on the streets :shock: ) and its a trackstanding machine! Not bad for $250 :D
Cheers,

D

**Updated pics in the next few days**
Last edited by GYPSY on Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brasstinman

Postby brasstinman » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:43 pm

Nice score. Great price. You're obviously a happy man, with good reason.
Well done.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:07 pm

That Campy post must be well and truly above the minimum insertion mark :shock: . I hope that it is at lest below the seat stay - top tube junction or your going to stuff that nice old frame. :(

GYPSY

Postby GYPSY » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:38 pm

^^haha Nah the seat post had just been polished :P i didnt wanna hide its beauty by lowering it for the photo!!

biopace

Postby biopace » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:51 pm

Nice one . Looks like your crankin a pretty high gear there. Whats it running.
Peugeot Ventoux : Viscount Sebring :
Bundy Trackie : Protour
All Oldies 'cause steel is real.

GYPSY

Postby GYPSY » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:58 pm

NEWISH PIC, I'LL TAKE ONE TOMOROW WITH THE NEW TYRES ON...
Risers are so much more comfy as i am riding this beast on the street brakeless!! Alot more control then the Pista Bars. Currently running 48/19. Good fun though.

k1lo5

Postby k1lo5 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:21 pm

where did you score this bike for $250? if u dont mind me asking?

Jr Dacks

Postby Jr Dacks » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:49 pm

Nice!!! love it.

What bars are they?
if it's not fixed it's broken

Kid Killy

Postby Kid Killy » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:25 am

Life&Co. Seeing you everywhere these days ;)

ajh_ausnzcf

Postby ajh_ausnzcf » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:50 am

Risers are so much more comfy as i am riding this beast on the street brakeless!! Alot more control then the Pista Bars. Currently running 48/19. Good fun though.
:shock:

You are truely a primitive beast, can you lock up the rear wheel with that gearing?
Axles A Randonee O Noodle.

"Doc, just tell me straight ... am I going to die?"

Kid Killy

Postby Kid Killy » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:01 pm

That gearing is really easy for stopping/skidding.

crumbling

Re: MY NEW TRACK BIKE "FRANCESCO" [BRIS]

Postby crumbling » Thu May 12, 2016 9:30 pm

I see Gypsy, who was on this site in 2009, refers to being associated with Ishiwata tubing having visited the factory in Japan. I have been looking for the Ishiwata tubing dating system that appears on a frame I have made of Ishiwata MTB tubing. The steerer tube is stamped ISHIWATA 3.B . Does this relate to Roman calendar or the Japanese Showa calendar. The difference is significant the 2 are compared along side each other. I would rely appreciate a lead to what is what Ishiwata means by this stamping.
crumbling