Post your Fixie piccies

rustychisel

Re: Post your Fixie piccies

Postby rustychisel » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:57 pm

that's as cute as fmmmm. Chain's too tight, though.

mitchj

Postby mitchj » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:30 pm

G'day all !
I've slowly being going back through all the fixie/SS pages here, & am really impressed with all the beautiful machines (& also the...ahh...not so beautiful ones!), & I thought I may as well add mine. Mine fits in the "...ahh...not so beautiful" category....! I built it around an old Standish frame I found somewhere, with a cheap single speed chain ring/BB combo from E-Bay, a stem from a Ricardo "Town & country"(from the dump), & my first ever attempt at building a rear wheel (any wheel actually), using a coaster hub from a kids bike. I haven't taken it for a decent ride yet, but the few rides up & down the street were smooth & quiet. This weekend I intend to take it for a good run-can't wait! If all goes well, I will strip it down & give it a new paint job.Image
It's a bit of a strange looking thing but I like it, It is quite comfortable to ride, & I'm thinking it probably wont be the last one I make!

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:38 am

Does this belong here?

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:33 am

rheicel wrote:Does this belong here?
I hope it's flat where you're riding!

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:25 am

familyguy wrote:I hope it's flat where you're riding!
looks like this is just a display bike at the moment :)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:24 pm

Nope, that's not my shed... :wink:

Looks amazing!
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:53 pm

Cooper?
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:18 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Cooper?
Yep, got it from a mate.

mitchj

Postby mitchj » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:22 pm

mitchj wrote:G'day all !
I've slowly being going back through all the fixie/SS pages here, & am really impressed with all the beautiful machines (& also the...ahh...not so beautiful ones!), & I thought I may as well add mine. Mine fits in the "...ahh...not so beautiful" category....! I built it around an old Standish frame I found somewhere, with a cheap single speed chain ring/BB combo from E-Bay, a stem from a Ricardo "Town & country"(from the dump), & my first ever attempt at building a rear wheel (any wheel actually), using a coaster hub from a kids bike. I haven't taken it for a decent ride yet, but the few rides up & down the street were smooth & quiet. This weekend I intend to take it for a good run-can't wait! If all goes well, I will strip it down & give it a new paint job.Image
It's a bit of a strange looking thing but I like it, It is quite comfortable to ride, & I'm thinking it probably wont be the last one I make!
Well I did take my SS for its first propper run on the weekend, & It was great! I probably only did about 15km or so, & pretty quickly realised how different it it to riding with gears. The first half of the ride was into a mild head wind, & more than once I found myself going for the gear lever for a second! I think it taught me a bit about what this "cadence" stuff is about too. I came home with a slight tail wind, & once I sort of found my "rhythm", it really did feel good. I think this bike has just opened up another direction in cycling for me - I'll be using this one alot more in the future I think! (Regular use would probably increase my fitness level too, according to my leg muscles!)

Hmmm.....maybe the next project might be a fixie or a flip-flop hub....!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:28 pm

mitchj wrote:Hmmm.....maybe the next project might be a fixie or a flip-flop hub....!
Go the FG option. My Reid Harrier came SS with flip-flop. Flipped the wheel after a week and never gone back.
My Cooper C50 came set up for SS out of the box but I've never ridden her like that.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

mitchj

Postby mitchj » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:52 pm

Yeah mate, I'll probably go just fixie I think. I've never ridden one yet so it'll be something new for me. May be time to start rounding up some bits...!

xcamx

Postby xcamx » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:39 pm

Finally got this up and running, started commuting on it this week. First time riding fixed outside a velodrome for me too, starting the fad (is it still a fad or is cx the new cool thing? :P ) late at my age haha

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:11 pm

xcamx wrote: starting the fad (is it still a fad or is cx the new cool thing? :P ) late at my age haha
Isnt CXSS the latest fad...dont tell me I have to sell
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:09 am

I think this is the first pic uploaded of the new rims. It WAS a cheap and nasty build with Reid wheels. The rims, while budget, have made it into a budget build. It's not nasty now the rims are SOOOO much lighter. Pic taken this morning on the commute. First time it's been ridden since March. I still need to find a decent saddle too.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Testing386

Postby Testing386 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:06 am

Bike Friday Fixed/Single Speed

I've had my little single speed for over seven years now.
The head lights are gone as I no longer commute to work. I rarely cycle after dark and have a small removable LED light for those rare occasions.
I've removed the Polar computer and cadence sensor as I let my body tell me when to slow down nowadays.
The Cane Creek Ergo bar ends have been replaced with Ergon grips. I find the Ergon grips very comfortable on long rides.

The BF is running Vredestein F-Lites instead of Big Apples. The Big Apples are bullet proof but the F-Lites are a lot lighter and faster.

I do flip it over to fixed but honestly prefer running the freewheel.

It has been a solid performer.

mitchj

Postby mitchj » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:23 pm

Cool bike,Testing386-7 years & it still looks great! I've got a "Yeah" folding bike (licenced from Dahon). When I first got it, I was really amazed at how good these little bikes are to ride. Nice!

Testing386

Postby Testing386 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:15 pm

@mitchj - That picture was from its first ride...though it still does look great!

eraser215

Postby eraser215 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:28 pm

xcamx wrote:Finally got this up and running, started commuting on it this week. First time riding fixed outside a velodrome for me too, starting the fad (is it still a fad or is cx the new cool thing? :P ) late at my age haha

Looks great xcamx! Can somebody explain the droopy nose on the saddle though?

kb

Postby kb » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:31 pm

eraser215 wrote: Looks great xcamx! Can somebody explain the droopy nose on the saddle though?
So you can wear falling down pants and not get caught on the seat?

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:24 pm

kb wrote:
eraser215 wrote: Looks great xcamx! Can somebody explain the droopy nose on the saddle though?
So you can wear falling down pants and not get caught on the seat?
I thought it was for hot weather, channels a little more air into the ... front of saddle area.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

xcamx

Postby xcamx » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:34 pm

I don't know what the point of the droop bit is, it may as well not be there. I don't know why it has taken so long for a seat like the Specialized Power to come about, it is basically that seat with the droop just lopped off. But yes a bit more air and a bit less crush.

minhyy

Postby minhyy » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:51 pm

took Omniums off the track bike and put them onto the street fixie, geared up, and returned to drop bars, diff seatpost and saddle, etc

need to add a link or two to the chain before it binds and snaps on me..

VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:07 pm

Drop bars look so much better on race bikes.

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:50 am

HLC wrote:
slidetaker wrote:what gear are you running? 52T with 17T?
55/18 there lol.

I run 55/15 on the actual track. On my Bridgestone fixie i run 49/19
Yikes you must have thighs like tree trunks - that would make you work for it, but lots of fun once you get moving....
OI onya bike!!!

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:48 pm

So this started off like this. Dumped at the Terry Hills tip.

Yes. It is an actual Raleigh Team Professional track frame. Bent Cinelli Pista bars, Superbe BB axle broke and the right crank is missing somewhere is missing somewhere at the tip, and Sunshine BIA hubs with bent flanges now.

Frame unfortunately didn't make it out unscathed, but still not bad at all considering the condition of rest of the bike. TT suffered a big dent from the handlebar and another from the top. Both strong enough to bend the tube a bit. For now, built it up as a Fixie with a bunch of spare track bits I had around. Not sure of future plans on it.

Also spotted at Uni. Now this leader has a fake? IO front wheel.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes