Fixie Conversion (First Attempt) Indi 500

Solirossi

Fixie Conversion (First Attempt) Indi 500

Postby Solirossi » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:46 pm

Well Im doing my first conversion and am enjoying it a lot.

I picked up an old Kawahara Indi 500 from a mate and have stripped it back, and am in the process of getting all the paint off.

Over the weekend I hope to start to paint it up, gonna go with a spray can and see how it works out. Iv got a fair few pics and info on my blog http://solirossi.wordpress.com/ so check it out and let me know what you think.

Here are a couple of pics.

check the blog for heaps more.

I have another topic going on re wheel sets, Im looking at a few different types and am tempted by the cheapness of the star cycles, but the velospace ones look like good value as well. If anyone has any suggestions of a good wheel set please let me know.

Also iv got a 68mm Bottom Bracket and standard square taper cotterless cranks, can anyone tell me will any square taper cranks fit my BB?

Any help/suggestions you all have would be great.

531db

Re: Fixie Conversion (First Attempt) Indi 500

Postby 531db » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:50 pm

Paint looks alright, will invariably be better than a rattle can job. I'd leave it as is. :mrgreen:

Solirossi

Postby Solirossi » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:57 pm

The photos flatter the pain a lot, when you look at it in person its a lot duller and scratched up quiet a lot.

Iv just started stripping the paint already as well, im about half way through and have put olive oil on the exposed stell to stop oxadisation. Not sure if it will work though.

donnie darko

Postby donnie darko » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:00 pm

There are plenty of powdercoaters in adelaide that do bikes. The average price is 50 the 60 dollars including sandblasting. Alot better finish than spray can. Indi frames are nice, wicked lug work. nice choice.

donnie darko

Postby donnie darko » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:03 pm

Just measure the distance bewtween the flanges where the bearing fit on the BB's and if they are the same you should be right.

Solirossi

Postby Solirossi » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:02 pm

Painting is in progress, its coming up really well so far.
http://solirossi.wordpress.com/2010/04/ ... n-stage-3/

X-Infinity

Postby X-Infinity » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:19 pm

should hav left the pain man. it was an alright job even if damaged. If you really wanted to do a rattle can job or wanted a specific colour should have got a second frame :( oh wells... good luck mate. if uv got any problems ask.
- - - - - - __o
-------- _\<,_
_____ (_)/ (_) ....to infinity, and beyond!!!

Rowley Runner

Postby Rowley Runner » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:02 pm

If it was mine i would just clear coat the frame. Bare steel looks ace. I have stripped mine back and letting it rust and as soon as it reaches the rusty look i want it will be fixed with clear coats of something. I have a mate who is a spay painter and reckons it can be done. (please note this is a experiment and could go wrong!)

RR
Bents for La Tour

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:52 pm

Rowley Runner wrote:(please note this is a experiment and could go wrong!)
How do you make paint stick to rust?

If it were me, I'd be painting it to appear rusty rather than trying to clear-coat rust somehow. I wouldn't feel comfortable riding something which is at an indiscernible state of decay.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:19 pm

Just clearcoat, or even clear powdercoat a bare metal frame and it will rust anyway.Result's the same over time.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:53 pm

If your Avanti is anything to go by, I think you're going to find that frame uncomfortably small for you.

Still, go for it anyway. You might enjoy the wrenching more than the riding, I sometimes do.

Jim

blokeinamoke

Postby blokeinamoke » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:19 pm

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 28&t=24541

Do it.

I found a special paint that i brushed on that is basically made for painting bare metal (for sculpture artists etc)

Hasnt changed at all, needs a wipe down after a ride in the rain as all the little dirt and sand sprays up, or perhaps im just a little tentative....

best of luck with it all :)

Rowley Runner

Postby Rowley Runner » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:47 am

Just clearcoat, or even clear powdercoat a bare metal frame and it will rust anyway.Result's the same over time.

If you manage to to get a clear coat to fix to a bare frame with rust on it, therefore no more oxygen getting to the frame would that not stop the rusting process?

If i am wrong which is highly likely all i have to lose is a not good quality crappy steel frame purchased for $1 from a garage sale
Bents for La Tour

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:52 am

Rowley Runner wrote:Just clearcoat, or even clear powdercoat a bare metal frame and it will rust anyway.Result's the same over time.

If you manage to to get a clear coat to fix to a bare frame with rust on it, therefore no more oxygen getting to the frame would that not stop the rusting process?

If i am wrong which is highly likely all i have to lose is a not good quality crappy steel frame purchased for $1 from a garage sale
Nah it will still rust.If I can find the link to a past thread with pics i'll post it.

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... r&start=25

read this through and follow the link I posted to gelliebikes.
Last edited by brauluver on Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: add link

Solirossi

Postby Solirossi » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:27 am

familyguy wrote:If your Avanti is anything to go by, I think you're going to find that frame uncomfortably small for you.

Still, go for it anyway. You might enjoy the wrenching more than the riding, I sometimes do.

Jim
Yeah Jim it is a pretty small frame, I cant remember the actual top tube and seat tube dimensions but definatly a bit smaller than the Avanti, my avanti is a 56.5 m/l frame, but they are a bit hard to compare due to curved top tube etc...

I did however actually aim for a slightly smaller frame than larger. I would have liked one that was perfect but when you rely on 'what comes up' you cant be so picky, this turned out to be a mates bike he no longer wanted so i just thought why not. I also like as much exposed seat post as possible/whilst still being the correct height for the rider. So a slightly smaller frame will allow me to have a bit more exposed seat post and hopefully give the bike a bit more of an aggressive riding position.

You are also right, its as much about the actual conversion and learning about bikes as anything else. I hope to ride it perhaps once a week to work, which is only like 3 km's from home. And the occasional weekend run into the hills to try to obliterate my legs, ill have to think about gearing here as im not the most powerful rider but I dont want to be spinning like a maniac when im cruising at 25kph either. Sounds like ill just have to harden up and get some more watts!!

Iv basically finished the painting now. Its completley white, done with an epoxy enamel gloss, its looking really good, iv done about 15 coats and have kept them all relly light so have not got one run (as far as im aware) im going to let the paint cure for the next week before getting out the cubana wax and trying to get it as nice as possible. Im still debating weather or not to get decals or do another colour/design over the white. Ill get some pics on my blog over the next few days and let you know when they are up.

I dont know if anyone has seen the pic of my BB, its a square taper but how can i tell what crank will fit it? Its a kawahara 68mm bb, would it be likley NJS?

Solirossi

Postby Solirossi » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:46 pm

Well my wheel set landed yesterday and I spent the arvo doing some assembly.

I think its looking good so far, need to get some more parts over the coming weeks but if you want plenty of pics check out http://solirossi.wordpress.com/2010/04/ ... n-stage-4/

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:32 pm

Looks great! 8)

To answer your question about the BB, if it's Japanese, then there's a strong probability that it's JIS taper. The cranks for these are very common.

Solirossi

Postby Solirossi » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:02 pm

do you think these SHUN cranks would suit/fit? http://www.velogear.com.au/products/Sin ... 0-144.html

that would mean a gear ration of 48/18 and 170mm crank length, sound ok?

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:18 pm

Solirossi wrote:do you think these SHUN cranks would suit/fit? http://www.velogear.com.au/products/Sin ... 0-144.html

Work out your GI here http://software.bareknucklebrigade.com/

Solirossi

Postby Solirossi » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:06 pm

cheers mate

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:10 pm

Solirossi wrote:do you think these SHUN cranks would suit/fit? http://www.velogear.com.au/products/Sin ... 0-144.html

Those cranks have 46 teeth. 46/18 gives about 69 gear inches, which is a very common choice for a fixed gear bike.

Most square taper cranks in that price range will fit a JIS taper, but it wouldn't hurt to ask the seller anyway.

j-ho

Postby j-ho » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:55 pm

Looks really nice mate. I'm about to do my own conversion, I have a nice fixie, but just to learn more about bikes and have a spare. This has inspired me to start straight away. What did the wheels cost you?

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:37 pm

j-ho wrote:Looks really nice mate. I'm about to do my own conversion, I have a nice fixie, but just to learn more about bikes and have a spare. This has inspired me to start straight away. What did the wheels cost you?
Answer in here http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 28&t=25950 :wink:

Solirossi

Postby Solirossi » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:51 am

Yeah j-ho check out brauluvers link, its got all the info on my wheel set decision. BUt in short they set me back about $180 landed on my dooorstep.

As you can see in my pics iv got them on but as have no crank/tyers iv not ridden them to see what the performance is like. Once i get the bike running ill let you all know what they are like. They seem pretty good for the money paid so far, they are Taiwanese so you dont expect Zipp quality but for me they will be great.

Solirossi

Postby Solirossi » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:52 pm

Well iv finally got it on the road, check out my blog to see more http://solirossi.wordpress.com/