der Adler is ALIVE !!!!!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:13 am

FINALLY !!!!!!

Got to take it fopr more than a mere trundle last night. Had to go to a meeting so decided to ride there and back. Total trip distance of 12.74km, achieved at an average of 27.7km/hr. Calculated Av Cadence was 87 which included traffic lights and akward takeoffs :D

Max sp of 36.6km/hr gave a cadence (calculated of about 123) - felt like more !!!

Remembered a few things pretty quick - doing a U-turn on a busy road requires thought, concentration, thought and more concentration, and above all, you can't stop pedalling :shock:

T'was good.

Now the thing is to get a 16T rear cog, and give Richard back his 18T along with the bottles of Port I owe him.

Overall was very good.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:13 pm

Great news. Fun aren't they.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:53 pm

Have been foa another ride now, this time a huge 18.5km - needed to work off some frustration due to work.

It is all running sweet and it goes well.

Still trying to source a better cog for the rear, any minor incline sees the cadence pop well over 100 which is a bit much when only doing a shade of 30km/hr.

Top speed on the last ride was 39.04km/hr which gave a cadence of 130 !!! Too many revs for that speed.

Setup was adjusted slightly to closer match the LeMond, and it feels much better :D

europa

Postby europa » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:04 pm

Just drop into Revolution, they sell track cogs, DuraAce sure but $30 isn't much for something you'll never wear out. I know some of the lads buy cheapies but it's not worth looking for them in Adelaide - they're out there but most shops have DuraAce.

Stopped using the brakes yet? The first brakeless ride is a real buzz and I just love coming up to a stop and stopping her 'just right' with foot alone.

While you've got the big cog on, try to control your speed down the hills. It really really works those leg muscles, but that's nothing to what it'll be like when you up the gearing a bit so learn the skill now - it's just a matter of 'nipping' the top off the stroke so that you're stopping the acceleration rather than braking the bike. I rarely just 'chase the pedals' now, I'd rather keep the speed lower but you'll quickly find that 140rpm is quite easy to maintain and when you get it right, there is no other feeling like it in cycling - you feel like part of a turbine :D

Richard

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:56 am

Picked up a 16T cog from Bicycle Express last night on the way to pick up poppet from school.

May even try and fit it tonight and either get a ride in or pick up the roof racks for the weekend.

Will call later

europa

Postby europa » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:25 pm

Ride it up here to get the racks :twisted:

Richard

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:42 am

europa wrote:Ride it up here to get the racks :twisted:

Richard
Well, the plan of fitting the 16T rear cog went out the window when 2 different LBS's didn't have a C Spanner to undo the lockring :x

Decided to do a ride anyway and completed a 33.4km loop including the climb up Ayliffes Rd in the latter part.

As a result of that, may leave the 18T on there a bit longer ....

The ride averaged 28.04km/hr with a max of 44.4 km/hr (max cadence of 145 :shock: ), and learnt another val;uabl;e lesson - when you build up a speed going downhill, there aint no coasting when you get there !!!!

It was a goodd ride and started to do what Richard had suggested of braking using the legs and managed it OK a few times, although started to get cramps in the calfs - so really using muscles that I hadn't before.

More rides to come.

As far as riding up to your place - NFW - there is a rather large hill between my place & yours, and a fixie is not going up it unless it is in the boot !!

531db

Postby 531db » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:04 am

MichaelB wrote:

'Well, the plan of fitting the 16T rear cog went out the window when 2 different LBS's didn't have a C Spanner to undo the lockring'

They really must be useless LBS (Lousy Bike Shops?), the same C spanner is also known as a bottom bracket lockring spanner.

Even I have 3 of the things.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:22 am

531db wrote:MichaelB wrote:

'Well, the plan of fitting the 16T rear cog went out the window when 2 different LBS's didn't have a C Spanner to undo the lockring'

They really must be useless LBS (Lousy Bike Shops?), the same C spanner is also known as a bottom bracket lockring spanner.

Even I have 3 of the things.
Um, yep, agree there. They are not my favoured LBS's due to this, but they are the closest, especially on the way home from work.

The next plan is to make some from Water Pump pliers like you mentioned/showed earlier.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:53 pm

Hi Michael...

sorry for the delay in this reply - hopefully you're still watching your own thread ;)

But I'm curious about how you managed with the caliper drop situation - I note that you list 105 DP calipers, with 700C rims - I would've thought the most frames & forks of 80s vintage would be proportioned for the 27 1/4" rims and the longer drop calipers?

Kym
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:57 pm

Hi Kym,

Yep, the 105 Calipers seem to be some older ones that I got with some 105 Aero levers that I bought, and it appears that they are longer reach than the current ones, so I was in luck for a change :D

Will head out on the old fella again tonight to see if I can get 40km up in a ride. I enjoy the difference in riding, and am getting remminded less often that I can't coast on this thing ......

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:22 pm

Well, it's been over a year, so thought I'd add some more detail.

Bike has only covered just over 800km to date, but it was out of service for a while while I farted around getting a new cahinring, then realised the quick link had sort of popped off (but the chain didn't separate :o ), and finally got it back on the rad again last week.

Some minor changes have taken place since the last pics - removal of the stickers, the addition of 2 new lights for the early morning commutes and the fitment of a Brooks B17 Narrow. The bike will be used to break in the Brooks before potential transfer to the road bike.

Future upgrades in the near future are :

1 : a set of wider bars (aiming for 420mm C-C)
2 : 46 Tooth Fyxomatosis chainring
3 : New wheelset - building up a pair of Gipiemme XR30 rims (28H) with DA rear hub (and hopefully front) with DT S/S spokes.

Will take some pictures in due course, but will head out tonight for another Brooks break-in ride. 43.04km so far, many to go :shock:

Cheers

Michael B

Brando

Postby Brando » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:18 pm

Good read, some great stuff in here to help with my current first build

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:21 am

Went for another ride last night. Loop down to the beach & back - 34.5km.

Guess what was waiting for me at work this morning - some nice XR30 Gipiemme rims - YUMMY !!!!!

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:20 am

MichaelB wrote:Went for another ride last night. Loop down to the beach & back - 34.5km.

Guess what was waiting for me at work this morning - some nice XR30 Gipiemme rims - YUMMY !!!!!
The deeper profile XR's will look nice on that bike.

Why "der Adler"? A b*stardisation of De Radler, perhaps?

Jim

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:35 am

familyguy wrote:
Why "der Adler"? A b*stardisation of De Radler, perhaps?

Jim
Hi Jim,

der Adler is German for "eagle". The bike was an Eagle Indi 500, and my parents are german, and the "der" is the german way of identifying gender. 'Die' is female, 'der' is male, and 'das' is non-gender specific.

The rims should look sweet - I noticed in another post that you have some built up - what are the specs ?

Just need to score a 28H front hub - not in common supply at the moment :cry:

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:18 am

Ah, thank you for the language lesson. My recent expidition to Austria exposed me to Radler beers...nicely refreshing after a day in the saddle :D The movie title "Das Boot" makes more sense now.

My XR's came laced to Ultegra hubs (radial front, radial NDS rear/2 cross DS rear). I've seen a few sets built like this. I really like them. They feel stiffer than my Ksyriums, and seem to roll a little better. They dont get troubled much by cross winds (as some people have said deeper section wheels can). I've hit some pretty hefty potholes on them and they havent run out of true - which is good, cause re-truing is a tyre, tube and rim tape-off exercise. I get a bit of spoke noise on the drive side rear at low speed, but the LBS said the tension checks out ok, so I reckon its just one of those things you live with. Maybe its a 2-cross problem, cause all my other wheels are 3-cross rears.

Jim

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:42 am

Well, the wheels must have a sixth sense that they are about to be replaced ......

On a ride the other night, hear a loud twang and then a bit of a click click clunk.

After a brief investigation, the front has a broken spoke :? Broke one a while ago, and just replaced that one. About 4km later, a second twang :shock: Crikey, at this rate, I'll be lucky to make it home.

Anyway, made it fine with no further breakages. Grabbed a few spares after work yesterday (the good thing with radial lacing - can undo the spokes without complete wheel dismantling :o ) and slotted in two replacement spokes last night.

Purchased a spoke key at the same time, and even managed to true the wheel pretty well. No idea what the spoke tension is like, but it's pretty true. First attempt and pretty happy.

When I get Richard to help me build the other wheels, I'll respoke this one fully as well.

The DA Rear hub arrived on Monday - VERY NICE !!!!! The Ultegra 6600 front hub is winging it's way from the UK, and my Fyomatosis Chainring arrived - Yummy !!!!

531db

Postby 531db » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:16 pm

MichaelB wrote:Well, the wheels must have a sixth sense that they are about to be replaced ......

When I get Richard to help me build the other wheels, I'll respoke this one fully as well.
Richard aka Europa, where is he these days??? I miss his contribution to the forums.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:31 pm

[quote="531db]
Richard aka Europa, where is he these days??? I miss his contribution to the forums.[/quote]

Still alive, kicking & riding. Lurks mostly on Bike Forums
Last edited by MichaelB on Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:21 am

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:33 am

rustychisel wrote:Immortality awaits you!!

http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2009/fe ... chmann.htm
Was wondering when it would go up :D

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:32 am

Well, managed to clock a few firts on the bike last night.

Partially inspoired by Verbs & Nouns's challenge re climbing Mt Lofty on a fixie (or SS), I thought I'd start off slow and try a few smaller shorter hills to see how I would go.

Got up Ayliffes Rd without much trouble, and then headed up Greenhill Rd to Glynburn Rd and then headed home staisfied. A long way from Mt Lofy, but a good start.

Especially with a bike weighing 11.5kg and 42/16 gearing.

Also clocked up 1,000km since the inception.

Also clocked the highest speed - 52.25km/hr. Not real fast, but when the legs are going at 163rpm, it's quick :shock: :shock: :shock:

Note to self : Any other serious hill attempts will be with a SS cog on the back

Brooks is breaking in nicely, but still has some way to go.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:16 pm

42x16 is an excellent gear. I find a higher speed is possible [briefly] sprinting up a low rise. Good work that man!

Did Torrens Road last Sunday on 40x15, on the home leg of an 80km ride including Norwood, Brighton, Glenelg, Outer Harbour, Norwood.

Verbs & Nouns

Postby Verbs & Nouns » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:50 pm

Did the city > Edwardstown velo > home (Cheltenham) via Marion road / henley beach rd / findon rd last night on 42x14. Perfect gear.
Ten Grand wrote:Goddamnit baby, this is soul... What's wrong with you?