Looking to replace parts for a Fuji Track '08

calebo

Looking to replace parts for a Fuji Track '08

Postby calebo » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:35 pm

Hi everyone

I've been cycling for a bit over 2 years and recently purchased a second hand Fuji Track '08.

The bike rides pretty well as is but I'm looking at replacing some of the parts like new cracksets/pedals, dropbars. etc.
While riding isn't new to me, buying/ replacing parts is a totally different story.

So here's to hoping to get some advice/guidance from fellow riders on this forum :D

Rusty wheel nuts. Looking to replace all 4 of them as they are all rusty. But how do you measure them to make sure I'm buying the right size online?

Wheel nuts sitting on a 10cent coin for comparison.

Cranksets and pedals, how difficult would it be DIY replacing them? Do I need a lot of tools?

HappyHumber

Re: Looking to replace parts for a Fuji Track '08

Postby HappyHumber » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:32 am

Formula hubs according to the specs. Pretty standard 10x1 track nuts with captive washers. Example from Harris Cyclery Available from many other online stores. But try your LBS. If they can't get them in, they're not trying.

The most bike specific tool you'll need to replace the cranks is a crank puller. 15mm open end spanner for the pedals. However, depending on the pedals and their clearance against the cranks there's a chance you may need a dedicated pedal spanner. They're still 15mm, but flatter for tight access.

Looks like the previous owner left the bike out in the elements a bit.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:41 pm

HappyHumber wrote:Looks like the previous owner left the bike out in the elements a bit.
Hear hear, in your shoes I'd be tearing her down completely for a bit of lovin'.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

calebo

Postby calebo » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:32 pm

I would love to do that, but I'm an absolute newbie and no idea where to start.
Where do you even begin?

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:12 am

You read. You look a little at your bike. Then you read some more. You go back to your bike and tweak something with a spanner or allen key. You Feel the difference. If it improves, you move on. If the tweak degrades things; you untweak and then you re-read. There is no better substitute than tactile & practical experience. If you read up on some well articulated and widely accepted theory (see below) you can then go back to the online community with questions more likely to receive answers in terms both sides understand.

sheldonbrown.com <--- The layout may look like something off the web from 15+ years ago (because it is) but the content is still gold if you learn to stick with it.

Believe or not, it takes less time waiting for randoms (like us; mulger bill, me..) on the interwebs to respond to small queries if you approach them with slightly better informed questions - with more standard terms - from your own research efforts.

I'm sure your Fuji isn't that bad. You said it rides OK and that's fine, but it is still good to be interested and care enough to look into care & maintenance of your humble steed.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:11 pm

First thing I personally would do is remove the rear wheel, take the freewheel cog off and bin it. Flip the rear wheel around and become one with your steed (I'm a bit funny that way).

Sheldon Brown for a damn good grounding followed by a youtube search for specific how tos have stood me in good stead since I found out what this interweb thing was good for.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Ant_S

Postby Ant_S » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:29 am

Most stuff is pretty straight forward for you to do yourself, it just takes a bit of research online/chat with your LBS. If it all goes wrong it isn't too pricey anyway for an LBS to put it back together for you! There isn't too much to an SS bike relatively.

Wheel nuts should be easy, any other nuts that are rusty you can probably just clean them up with WD40/tin foil scrub. Chainring bolts are also cheap to get online and replace. Cranks themselves shouldn't be too hard, provided the bottom bracket it still good. If you wanted to be very pedantic you could probably replace the BB with a cheap new one when you do your new cranks.

In terms of tools for everything, i bought an X Tool Bike Tool Kit for ~$80 from memory. There is other similar kits out there. They do make it much easier with having the right tools, although sometimes it takes a bit of googling to find out how to actually use them all!