2016 - what's hot?

MattyK

2016 - what's hot?

Postby MattyK » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:09 am

I totally have no need for a single speed/fixie, which is why I obviously want one...

What's good value on the market under say $500? Looking at a custom Cell, because colour scheme is the most important factor of course. Any other decent choices for that money?

Ant_S

Re: 2016 - what's hot?

Postby Ant_S » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:08 pm

In that price range everything is pretty entry level and not 'great' from a performance perspective per se but reliable, solid and gets the job done. Basic cro-mo steel frames (avoid hi ten obviously).

Reid Harriers are good & feel nice to ride (just a bit heavy), Cell I'd say are very similar. You've also got the likes of Chapelli who are similar too. I notice a lot of those companies are pushing their entry level 'Single Speed' bikes to internally geared hub 3 speeds. I personally think that isn't a bad idea if you want the bike to ride semi-casually then find yourself in a hilly area &/or in a strong headwind. If you are riding it to cruise about, keep it simple and look good you don't want to be sweating it out in a big gear constantly!

Really once you go above Cell/Reid/Chapelli you get into some more 'niche' brands that make slightly more bespoke but still pretty basic bikes that command a bit more money ~$7-800. You're more paying for possibly a bit nicer assembly/fit/finish & a less 'budget' brand name but no real gain otherwise.

From there its on to more serious 'track' or 'track geo' framesets that are more aggressive overall. They start to have tighter clearances, maybe not drilled for rear brakes. Many of these are aluminium, but there is a trend of more steel coming back. However again if you don't need a real performance type ride from the bike then its better to stick with the more accessible bikes as they tend to have more relaxed road type geometry.

Ant_S

Postby Ant_S » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:09 pm

Also I personally think the colourful/jazzy/mismatched single speed/fixie thing is a little bit over and its more classic that people go for these days. But like anything, there's always different opinions on that :)

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:14 pm

I have a couple of bikes with gears. This is more about having something different/fun/challenging, not for going fast or up major hills. Reid don't seem to be listing the Harrier any more.
Ant_S wrote:Also I personally think the colourful/jazzy/mismatched single speed/fixie thing is a little bit over and its more classic that people go for these days. But like anything, there's always different opinions on that :)
mismatched doesn't appeal to me, but you can make some nice customised designs. I'm working on some classic motorsport inspired combos...

Ant_S

Postby Ant_S » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:15 am

Yeah that's fair enough. Single speed is good for that for sure. I recently got a geared road bike which I enjoy riding but the simplicity of the single speed is still my favourite, even though its probably overall slower on longer rides. Good to have options :)

Reid still have the Harrier and Harrier 3 Speed, in the top row of the following link. They don't have as many fancy colours/combos as they used to though, mostly seems to be black, white or chrome.
https://www.reidcycles.com.au/bikes/fix ... speed.html

The Cell look pretty line ball with the Reid anyway so I'd say either will do what you want. You can always change bits and pieces once you have it and go from there anyway, the frame will keep on going if you want it to.

minhyy

Postby minhyy » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:51 pm

the new Reid SSCX looks like it'd be fun to shred around on. seems heavy, but fun. flip the wheel to fixed, chuck on some 32c Randos, 19t cog on the back and rip skids until the cows come home
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

Ant_S

Postby Ant_S » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:24 am

^I don't really understand the SSCX thing, unless you really do swap wheels out often and take it gravel riding. If its 90% on road stuff then I feel like you'd need lighter wheels, road-oriented smooth tyres & some bigger gearing to get more speed and not spin out so much on the smooth stuff. By that stage you've ended up with a relaxed geometry, heavy single speed anyway? Though its versatile, you'd have to be swapping rings/cogs/tyres a bit.

I like the look of the Reid Granite CX, though it is 799 (saw it for 719 on special the other week mind you). That is heavy too, but it has decent gears so you can select what's appropriate for the terrain, plus disc brakes which will stop better all round. Obviously not SS/Fixie though :)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:50 pm

Checked out Brown Jersey?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:45 pm

Ant_S wrote:^I don't really understand the SSCX thing, unless you really do swap wheels out often and take it gravel riding.
I love my SSCX, just rode 320km on Sunday, yesterday changed wheels and pedals and will be riding single tracks tomorrow with a gravel grind on Monday, then back to commuter mode for Tuesday. Its great for travelling, easy to change setup for different locations and less chance of damage (back of car or bike bag) plus when you do get back on the geared carbon roadie you feel like you have won lottery, but no where near as much fun or satisfying
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:12 pm

Ant_S wrote:^I don't really understand the SSCX thing, unless you really do swap wheels out often and take it gravel riding. If its 90% on road stuff then I feel like you'd need lighter wheels, road-oriented smooth tyres & some bigger gearing to get more speed and not spin out so much on the smooth stuff. By that stage you've ended up with a relaxed geometry, heavy single speed anyway? Though its versatile, you'd have to be swapping rings/cogs/tyres a bit.
They have a similar looking 4130 Limited frame on their site that has vertical dropout with integrated derailleur hanger, if you wanted to have both worlds without the swapping ;) I prefer the track ends of the SSCX as I like geared hubs.

The grey looks a shade of "UK winter sadness" but it's a base colour for camo paint if you want to get creative, or who doesn't love a good rastafarian crochet sleeve.

For colour, State Bicycle Co. like fashion usually have a new colour each year.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:32 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Checked out Brown Jersey?
Thanks, I love nice paint, and geared hubs, and they deliver, just wish they had a drop bar with cross, stem or downtube shifter.
The metallic candy apple red and panel van brown are sweet and chocolatey, you need to see the closeups, probably in sunlight to do justice.
http://www.brownjersey.com.au/retro-bikes

I'd like those geared bikes frames and colour finish with the Reid SSCX bars and brakes.

I shouldn't be here anyway, I've already got my 2016 hottie sorted, we just had date night watching Matthew Hayman's Paris Roubaix victory.

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Tue May 03, 2016 3:10 pm

MattyK wrote:I have a couple of bikes with gears. This is more about having something different/fun/challenging, not for going fast or up major hills. Reid don't seem to be listing the Harrier any more.
Ant_S wrote:Also I personally think the colourful/jazzy/mismatched single speed/fixie thing is a little bit over and its more classic that people go for these days. But like anything, there's always different opinions on that :)
mismatched doesn't appeal to me, but you can make some nice customised designs. I'm working on some classic motorsport inspired combos...

Reid Harriers are still around:

https://www.reidcycles.com.au/harrier-477622.html
OI onya bike!!!

HLC

Postby HLC » Sun May 15, 2016 7:21 am

Buy a cell fixie. Best value for money entry level bike around.

/endthread

MortyMcFly

Postby MortyMcFly » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:59 am

I just got a Reid Harrier the other day, so far it's an absolute dream to ride.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:58 pm

MortyMcFly wrote:I just got a Reid Harrier the other day, so far it's an absolute dream to ride.
Still loving my Chook a few years down the line, what gear ratio are they running these days?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:54 pm

Never ended up buying one. But if I did the Yes bikes single speeds look alright.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:57 pm

What is the hotness for 2017 now? Cell don't have their Messenger anymore, and the new range is $350 odd.

For some strange reason I just want a single speed to say that I have one :) Reid carrier at $270 odd perhaps?

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:39 pm

CustomCells seem to clearing out, colour and bar options are running out but they are down to $350