Performer Trike/ Big Apples

Arakasy

Performer Trike/ Big Apples

Postby Arakasy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:34 am

Hi guys ! This is my first post so I want to take the time to say hello to all you Aussy Recumbent riders !!!
Rofl Hi Guys !!

So I've found a shop in Brisbane called "A1 Action Sports" the guys name is Steve... And he rocks... He is selling the Performer Brand at the moment... Must say I am loving my new Trike "E", have a Trike "X" on order for my father also so we can go riding together. Steve has been great... , added an electric motor to dads trike ( he is sorta disabled and will need the support.)

To main topic... Who uses these Big Apple Tyre's ? Are they good for trikes ? I might get dad some if they are...

I live in far North Queensland... Fancy stuff doesn't get sold up here... So I was stoked to find Steve in Brisbane.

John Lewis

Re: Performer Trike/ Big Apples

Postby John Lewis » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:37 pm

Welcome to the forum arakasy. I'm sure you will enjoy the trikes. Great for your dad.

The nice thing about big apples is they add a bit of comfort on a trike without suspension.
My velo has a big Apple on the rear and I also run them on my Delta trike.

The problem you may find is that they are fairly wide so you need to make sure they will fit the rear of the trike. No problem on the front of course.

The one on my velo is a 406 x 50 so thats about 2" wide in the old measure. They come a width down from that too but its dark in the shed so I can't go look to check the width. Think it was 47 mm or about 1.75".

I've had no trouble with them.

John

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:29 am

I run big apple's as well and enjoy the comfort they offer with taking up some of rough surface making the ride smoother. I also run them off road and again no problem plus they have a good roll ristance and should you puncture you don't need tools to take the tyre off and on it can be done by hand. You get about 8000km before they need replacement and there not too shabby at punture ristance either. All round a great tyre in my opinion.....

Ricky

Arakasy

Postby Arakasy » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:01 am

Nawww thanks guys...
I'm much excite... Dads trike just hit Brisbane... Not long now !!! I hope the apples sit under the front mudguards..(having issues with those things moving at will also)

So I have been thinking about getting a couple of cheap walkie talkies so we can communicate on the paths... We won't get to ride side by side often, you guys use something like this ?
Don't Panic
And I don't know
Ride casual... Not to casual
They might snap out it's comfortable !!

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:03 am

Arakasy if the mud guards are moving you might just need to nib up the mounts but I'm not sure of your guards so an image would help and a close up to help offer solutions to a fix. If the tyres are to wide for the guards you could always raise them a little or do some MacGyver work to re-roll the guard so it's wider. Many years ago we used walkie talkies while riding dirt bikes brought from dick smiths that fitted inside our helmets then came with a ear piece and mic boom plus you had the choice of push to talk or voice activation. We used voice activation with no issue with wind but we did have to place a piece of foam around the mic. You could adjust the activation level so for a cheap set it did the trick. This was 20 years ago so I bet there has been leaps and bounds in tech. I bet there is a walkie talkie app now for you android I'm pretty sure I have seen such a thing on google play store.

Ricky

Arakasy

Postby Arakasy » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:53 am

Thanks Ricky !
I need to build a new photobucket account or something so I can do pics.
The mount is interestingly placed in the kingpin assembly.. Which I have tightened to the point it feels like I'm about to break the damn bolt.. And the guards still float to the side and tyre rubs at the slightest hint I'm going fast.

Dads had this great idea of cutting some disc's out of some inner tube, hole in the middle and using them like washers (with grip) metal on metal... Not so grippy when vibrations are about... Anyway I'll work on getting a pic sharing account up so I can do pics... Really slack I haven't built one yet.
Don't Panic
And I don't know

OldBloke

Postby OldBloke » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:15 am

Arkasy,
we have two Trike-Fs, the folding version of the E. I am currently running 26x2.0 Surface Drifters and there is plenty of room. While there is probably room to go even bigger I'd be reluctant because of the narrowness of the rim.

To stop the mudgard moving you will need to tighten down the head set a bit - loosen the clamp on the headset, nip up the centre bolt a little and then retighten the clamp.
OB
Sent from my GT-I8750 using Tapatalk

OldBloke

Postby OldBloke » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:21 am

Oops, I missed part of your last post. If the mudguard is still moving you may need a thin spacer for the headset/kingpin.
OB

Arakasy

Postby Arakasy » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:36 am

OMGosh I'm such a tard... Thanks, I'm going for a ride now to see if that helped :)
Welcome to insert epic face palm pics below.

Have tightened down bolts in this order... Seems to fix issue with mudguard float :)
Last edited by Arakasy on Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't Panic
And I don't know

OldBloke

Postby OldBloke » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:17 pm

I just put some Schwalbe Marathons 20x1.50 on the front of my wife's trike. There would easily be enough room for 1.75 but 2.0 would probably be pretty tight. I was after 1.75s but couldn't find any at the time and settled for 1.5s. Next time I will hold out till I can get some 1.75s.

I have had problems with wheel alignment on my trike, combination of rough roads and driveways [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]. I wore out my front tyres in about 500km before I twigged to what was happening. Bit slow sometimes [WINKING FACE].
OB

Arakasy

Postby Arakasy » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:49 pm

All's I can say about that is I "think" I have it right... Probably not.. Knowing me... So what's a good "tell" for wrong alignment/ toe in ?
(I often get a scrub on right tyre when I'm turning ...she does handle like a pig) really bad turning circle I'm slowly getting used to using. :oops: my Barina turns sharper hehehe :)

Picked up a cheap set of walkies today... Works very well :)

Guys thanks so much for all the help and advice... Hanging for dads trike so we can cruise together in style.
Don't Panic
And I don't know

OldBloke

Postby OldBloke » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:39 pm

The warning that I didn't understand at first and ignored was a scrubbing sound from the LH tyre when travelling in a straight line. It sounded a bit like disc brake scrape or a quiet bearing noise. What had happened was that the two brackets that connect the tie-rods to the handlebar had moved - either from rough roads or driveways. Toe-in had changed by 10mm and that was enough to wear out the Kendras in 500km. I only registered what was happening when I started to see canvas on the centre-line of the tyres.

The other thing I learnt about toe-in earlier on is that I have to do mine while I am sitting in the trike. I weigh 85kg and that is enough to change the toe-in by 8-10mm. I would be interested to know whether your E is the same or whether it is a characteristic of the folder.

Cheers

OB

Arakasy

Postby Arakasy » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:14 pm

Yeah sitting in it does move the frame around no doubt... I saw on the ice adjustment video... Set for 1 mill toe in... Then it should be about 4-6 mill when rider is seated... ( or about)
All the nuts on my trike were lose and the handlebar to tie rod section was sliding all over... I think I put it in the right spot.
Don't Panic
And I don't know