Converting M5 CHR to Mid-Racer

Low Racer

Converting M5 CHR to Mid-Racer

Postby Low Racer » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:57 pm

Just bought all the parts I needed to convert to mid racer configuration. I needed to change the configuration to give me some excitement to ride the M5.

I haven't ridden it since getting Cruzbike Vendetta. I have put quite a few kms now on Vendetta and handling is getting better.

It is so much more fun to ride than M5. Dare I say, it is a touch faster too overall (esp on the hills). Much stiffer than M5.

I can feel the M5 frame compresses more when you laid the power down, which I have never noticed prior to riding Vendetta.

Once converted, I will post some pics here.

If anyone interested in M5 CHR 650C single fork and wheel, let me know.

Low Racer

Re: Converting M5 CHR to Mid-Racer

Postby Low Racer » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:56 pm

Finally all the parts arrived. Not getting use to the look of a mid racer yet. Initial ride is good. Won't get a chance to ride it till the weekend. 451 front wheel; Trigon full carbon blade fork.

The bottom picture is with a 650c front wheel with an M5 mono fork.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:55 pm

I like the look keep us posted need so mm e pics of the vendetta as well. In your opinion does the vendetta preform to match t b e price tag?

Ricky

Low Racer

Postby Low Racer » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:15 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:I like the look keep us posted need so mm e pics of the vendetta as well. In your opinion does the vendetta preform to match t b e price tag?

Ricky
Hi Ricky,

If I had to choose a ride, I would keep Vendetta. I know MBB FWD doesn't suit everyone but once you get used to the ride, it is awesome. A single test ride on Vendetta doesn't do much. Will just be off putting for many. I had a serious fall and many near misses before I am confident enough to ride it on the road. Now pedal steer is a thing of the past. On a hilly terrain M5 is slower than Vendetta.Vendetta is not much slower than M5 on the flat either. Overall I can average faster on Vendetta. Does it match the price tag? Absolutely yes (if you can master MBB FWD).

Chong

Low Racer

Postby Low Racer » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:43 am

Couldn't wait for the weekend. Sacrificed 1/2 hr sleep this morning and went out on my mid racer at 6am. Did my usual 20km loop.
This section of the road used to be the Pacific Highway. Now a cyclist heaven since the by-pass was built.
The mid-racer is a joy to ride. Very stable at high speed descend. All formats of the M5 carbon high racer whether with 700c, 650c or 451 are very stable at high speed.
Averaged 32.8km/hr, so the MR isn't a slouch. Climb slightly better than a high racer format. Vendetta is still better climber.
Cost me approx $450 to change the format to mid racer, I think it is worth every cent. Now I have a "low racer" ride feeling once again.

Strava showing the terrain for the 20 km loop.

bradwoodbr

Postby bradwoodbr » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:49 pm

Congrats Chong.
The midracer has the looks.

How are you protecting the fork from the chain?
Was the much to do adjusting the seat height or angle?

Cheers
Optima Baron Raptor
Low Racer - Recumbent
http://lowracerrider.blogspot.com/
Rotovelo velomobile

Low Racer

Postby Low Racer » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:00 pm

bradwoodbr wrote:Congrats Chong.
The midracer has the looks.

How are you protecting the fork from the chain?
Was the much to do adjusting the seat height or angle?

Cheers
Hi Brad,

A used 20 inch tubes works a treat as a fork protector. The seat angle is fixed at 23 degree. Wished I could change it easily.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:39 pm

Thanks Chong there is just something in the design and looks with the M5 that really appeals to me and even the newer Vendetta has that same appealing design.

Ricky

Low Racer

Postby Low Racer » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:30 pm

Hi Rick,

I love the new Vendetta hydroformed frame. I think Cruzbike lost me with the new V20. They have decided to share the same front end as Silvio S30. I understand why they are doing it but the chunky front end of V1.5 and V2.0 look just so much meaner.

Low Racer

Postby Low Racer » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:27 pm

http://www.strava.com/activities/230973 ... ride_share" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Had a ball on my Vendetta 1.5 this afternoon. Hope you can view the link.

It's only a short ride but I think I maxed out on my heart rate.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:08 pm

Low Racer wrote:Hi Rick,

I love the new Vendetta hydroformed frame. I think Cruzbike lost me with the new V20. They have decided to share the same front end as Silvio S30. I understand why they are doing it but the chunky front end of V1.5 and V2.0 look just so much meaner.
I totally agree with you the chunky front end just seems to look classy if they kept that same chunky look but also made the forks wider and more aero like the DF riders carbon forks or on your M5 to me that would be sweet. As it stands I can't stand those pencil forks there using it makes the bike look.......... Well it just doesn't cut it with that new hydro formed frame that's just my opinion.

Nice results on your ride there Chong.

Ricky

Low Racer

Postby Low Racer » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:22 pm

As it stands I can't stand those pencil forks there using it makes the bike look.......... Well it just doesn't cut it with that new hydro formed frame that's just my opinion.
Hi Ricky,
The fork of Vendetta - V1.0 to V2.0 (can't comment on the new iteration of Vendetta) is substantial enough. Any bigger, the extra amount of alloy material will make the bike quite front heavy (believe me, it is already front heavy). The fork is tapered and the front assembly that connect to the BB is bladed.
With the complicated front arrangement, one would assume that the Vendetta is less aero than say an M5. However, riding the Vendetta confirmed otherwise. Accelerate just as fast and gaining terminal speed just as quick.

I don't think I will ever see a V20 in real 'cos buying another bike would surely resulting in a "divorce".

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:40 am

Low Racer wrote:
Hi Ricky,
The fork of Vendetta - V1.0 to V2.0 (can't comment on the new iteration of Vendetta) is substantial enough. Any bigger, the extra amount of alloy material will make the bike quite front heavy (believe me, it is already front heavy). The fork is tapered and the front assembly that connect to the BB is bladed.
With the complicated front arrangement, one would assume that the Vendetta is less aero than say an M5. However, riding the Vendetta confirmed otherwise. Accelerate just as fast and gaining terminal speed just as quick.

I don't think I will ever see a V20 in real 'cos buying another bike would surely resulting in a "divorce".
I understand for me if the fork looked like your M5 it would be a sweet look. I just had a quick look over at Cruzbike and was shocked to see the frame set for both the Vendetta and Silvio are the same pric but the new S30 is a 100 clams more. Chong where did you purchase yours from? Lol at divorce......

Ricky

Low Racer

Postby Low Racer » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:14 pm

Hi Rick, I was fortunate to win the vendetta frame set on eBay. This was in April. It was like new. I can't help assuming the owner can't ride the bike and sold it on eBay. I paid less than half the new rrp.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:51 pm

Wow Chong you got a steal sound like your spot on with your assumption sometimes you can get lucky on evilbay.

Ricky

Low Racer

EOI - M5 for sale

Postby Low Racer » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:22 pm

Hi,

My M5 CHR / mid racer is up for sale. If anyone interested, please pm for detail.

I haven't ridden much since the Vendetta.

Regards

Chong

Bargo

Postby Bargo » Sat May 16, 2020 12:42 pm

Low racer. Are you still on this forum? I would love to get some more details about what you did with the 451 fork. I am looking to convert my m5 chr to a mid racer like you did. Do your ember what fork you used and where it came from. I Jane not had much success searching for a 406 or 451 fork

Cheers

saintplc

Postby saintplc » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:52 pm

Bargo,

I now own that M5 CHR that was formerly owned by Low Rider.

A couple of people have owned it between he and I. But it came with the 451 fork and wheel which I have now fitted.

The 451 fork is a Trigon RC55S. It has virtually zero trail which makes the front end quite stable in spite of the steeper steering angle the smaller wheel creates. I'm still learning to tame the CHR, my other recumbent is a Lightning P-38. The bike climbs better with the 451 fork and I also find there is less heel strike than with the 571 (650C) or the 622 (700C) front wheel. Climbing performance matters to me a lot as I do a lot or riding in the Royal National Park.

Also the 451 fork means the 23° seat becomes 29°. Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Paul.