Which recumbent trike?

Ripperpipper

Which recumbent trike?

Postby Ripperpipper » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:12 am

Dear all
I'm very interested in recumbent trikes... Cos I'm a wuss I like the three wheel variety for stability. I was a keen cyclist but got out of the habit. Now I find the 'buttock callus' phase of regular biking too hard to get over... I hope everyone knows what I mean! I live in Perth, Australia; clearly I'm a fair distance from suppliers so I need something easy to use, unlikely to fall to bits and hopefully something that doesn't require remortgaging the house! Any advice on which model a novice should invest in will be gratefully received.
Thanks everybody!
Angela x

Riggsbie

Re: Which recumbent trike?

Postby Riggsbie » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:12 pm

Three wheels are fun !!

I have both two and three wheelers and my three wheeler's are by far the most fun and easily accessible ones to use !!!!!!

My path into three wheeled recumbentness started with a used Greenspeed GT5 for $1500 from eBay.....great little machine, folds so goes in a Ford Fiesta, is fast (70 kph), amazing turning circle......for me the only down point was the lack of suspension (I have a long term back injury and was recovering from surgery when I got my GT5) on the harsh coarse chip surfaces around Geelong.

ICE trikes are amazing but expensive......I use my full suspension Vortex a lot.....

I am certain more people will come along with other comments/advice.

Have fun - you will not regret getting a recumbent trike !

Paul

Ripperpipper

Postby Ripperpipper » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:14 pm

Thanks Paul! Your poor back, hope its better x

Roinik

Postby Roinik » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:43 pm

You should be able to pick up a half decent trike in Perth, new or 2nd hand. Be careful around checking out all of the moving parts if it's 2nd hand. Typical things to look for regarding all sorts of moving parts are: loose bits (i.e. loose steering joints and kingpins), worn bits like chain and cogs (find a chain gauge and take it with you), brake performance/pull and leaks/damage in the suspension parts, including any suspension bushes (see if things will move sideways as well as up and down). If you're not mechanically minded, take someone along that has some understanding about bikes or trikes.

Be careful, otherwise you might end up like others on this forum and come home with a velomobile instead. Even if you don't tell anyone you've done that, they will know something is amiss. You'll most likely have a perpetual grin like a Cheshire Cat and will be keeping a secret tally of the number of roadies that you've smoked.
You don't need the best kit, you just need the best attitude.

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:15 pm

Hi Angela,
Have a look here on the for sale section of the WAHPV group. You may find something suitable.

http://wahpv.densmith.server310.com/sale_swap.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As I recall the group rides on Sunday mornings. Perhaps you can get in touch and have a look at some trikes.
They have a Yahoo group that you can find via their homepage or perhaps call Dennis.

John

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:46 pm

WAHPV group was last meeting that I know of on the cnr of Adross St & MacDonald Rd in the cafe there. Was before 8 they were getting there, having a coffee and taking off.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:30 pm

some of us own more than one :oops: i'm a bit of a trike tragic and can literally bore you to tears talking about them. you are welcome to come and look at mine and maybe take one or two for a spin around the block. I've pm'd you.

cheers
chuck
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:55 pm

On Gumtree at the moment. Seller is asking $2,500.

There is one for sale via the WAHPV group linked to earlier in the thread as well.

Andrew

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:22 am

That's the trike that Gene Schafer rode 17000 odd km the length and breadth of Aus.

I have the spare back wheel with SRAM hub sitting in my shed waiting to be picked up.
A good honest trike. It is or was also listed o the WAHPV site.

John

Ripperpipper

Postby Ripperpipper » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:45 pm

Thanks everyone... Nice to know there's such a lovely community of enthusiasts out there. I must profess to being rather taken with the ice trikes. Can I ask another stoopid question.... When you're on a trike, how do u mount kerbs? I have a vision of myself rebounding off anything more than a couple inches in a hail of blood and metal....

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:10 pm

You can't just bump up a kerb like you can on a commuter or MTB, you have to use the drop kerbs or ramps........

But with some speed an ICE Vortex FS will 'jump' off a kerb :lol:

I highly recommend ICE trikes but you do have to pay a premium for them, but they seem to hold their value well.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:47 pm

and if you get an ICE Sprint you can convert it to a Borealis later on :)

From this ....

to this

or even to a Challenger if you like to get fried :)

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:58 pm

A Greenspeed GTR (not current model is that right?) has popped up on the WAHPV for sale pages. Seller is asking $1,900 for it.

Andrew

The_Eggman

Postby The_Eggman » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:11 pm

I'm riding a Catrike Expedition at the moment, which I'm suitably impressed with. I'll confess though I have very little to compare it too.

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:09 am

some random ramblings.....

beware older Greenspeed GTR's - check that the brake backing plates are removeable and not welded to the kingpin/axle assembly

you can mount kerbs, just not recommended at speed (although I have bashed up kerbs a few times). most trikes designed for commuting/touring have enough clearance to mount most kerbs. Catrikes do well in this regard, so too Ice's. Greenspeeds with little wheels not so much (GT1 etc), Magnum is much better.

If you are looking at a Logo check for leaking or sticking brakes.

Large rear wheels appear to be faster (though this is debated to the point of almost religious zeal). Some say you need to carry two spare tubes with different wheel sizes but I have managed with only the larger one fine, folding it into the smaller tyre and changing it after returning home in the event of a puncture.

Most don't have adjustable seats, one of the reasons to make sure you test ride a trike before you buy if you can. That said, I've bought three without having sat on them.

cheers
chuck
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:28 am

chuckchunder wrote: Most don't have adjustable seats, one of the reasons to make sure you test ride a trike before you buy if you can. That said, I've bought three without having sat on them.

cheers
chuck
What are you riding now days? I see for what it is worth the ICE Sprint has some adjustment with the seat, but not much.

Andrew

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:49 pm

Aushiker wrote:
chuckchunder wrote: Most don't have adjustable seats, one of the reasons to make sure you test ride a trike before you buy if you can. That said, I've bought three without having sat on them.

cheers
chuck
What are you riding now days? I see for what it is worth the ICE Sprint has some adjustment with the seat, but not much.

Andrew
Hi Andrew

yeah Ice was one of the ones I had in mind. More are getting adjustable, and folding too. On reflection "most" was incorrect!

currently spending time on a Steintrikes MadMax, commuting, and the rest on a Catrike 700. Nothing I've ridden (well trikes) is as fast as the 700. My GS GTS is in pieces with the frame hanging in the garage waiting for weld repairs.........

If I had my time again (and money) I'd buy an Ice Sprint over the MadMax. 26" rear wheel version.

cheers
chuck

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:04 am

Yep, as Chuck stated.....

ICE trike seats have 4 or 5 seat angle positions.....and obviously boom adjustment for leg length and fold......my Vortex FS fits in the back of a Ford Fiesta.....

It's great to get the seat as low as you can for speed but then you lose climbing efficiency.....

Go ICE, and they are British !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Xenon

Postby Xenon » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:07 am

If you can get a chance, have a look at the Trident Stowaway. Entry level price, foldable (mine fits in the back of my partner's Echo when folded). It has and adjustable seat, boom and handlebar angle. It also comes with a mirror and mudguards from the factory (it also comes with lights and a flag, but they IMHO, they aren't up to the job).

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:26 pm

chuckchunder wrote:If I had my time again (and money) I'd buy an Ice Sprint over the MadMax. 26" rear wheel version.
A 20" ICE Sprint appeal as an alternative pathway to a velomobile ... Borealis unless I can actually get the $ together for a Mango :)

Apparently there is an ICE Adventure for sale in Queensland ... no photos or details but.

Would love to see your Catrike 700 sometime :)

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:27 pm

and for Victorian readers there is a KMX Viper for sale - asking price $1,200

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:37 pm

or something a little different ...

$3,975 ex Kenmore Hills in Queensland.

Andrew

Ripperpipper

Postby Ripperpipper » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:24 pm

Love the pictures guys! Thank you all for your advice!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:55 pm

Another trike on the market in WA, a Greenspeed GTR. The seller is asking $1,200 for it.

Andrew

geebee

Postby geebee » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:26 pm

What do you want from a trike? if it is a comfortable fastish cruiser then some thing like the Performer JC70 cromo would do nicely, about $1500.00 new from flying furniture.
If you like speed keep an eye out for a used GreenSpeed GLR on Ebay and other sites, insanely fast and handling beyond belief, needs Scorcher size tyres to make it high enough for general road use. :)