Where did your Recumbent take you today?

petie

Re: Where did your Recumbent take you today?

Postby petie » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:32 pm

eggaweb wrote:I didn't have one unfortunately. I look forward to the day when I have my horse, a 1 horse power electric recumbent enclosed velomobile! But for now I need to make do with the 1 horse power electric upright :roll: I'm looking at the cruzbike sofrider which goes for only $1300. Any ideas about this one?
Have test ridden one. FWD might take some getting used to, but to me felt like you could power along a little easier using your upper body as well. Don't go there if you have weak knees.

Not sure what spec you're after either, but I don't think the softrider is anything flash. Also doesn't recline much for that aero advantage.

Cost effective though.

Roinik

Postby Roinik » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:25 am

FWD takes about 10-15 mins to get pedalling if you've not had any bent experience, then around 1000 km to become cavalier and reckless. Your knees aren't the issue with FWD because all of the pivoting (except for tight corners) is done with the hips. They are fun and you can throw them around a fair bit. One limitation is that if you're expecting to climb 9% or above you can expect a bit of wheel slip. The full suspension is great. You will probably end up upgrading the rear shock because it is a cheaper unit. Plenty of options when that time comes.

There's still one advertised on OzHPV for $1000 in Sydney. The components are ok and what you'd normally expect on a generic hybrid. Do not expect to go blindingly fast because of the upright seating position. I find that the seating position is far better in traffic.
You don't need the best kit, you just need the best attitude.

petie

Postby petie » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:52 pm

Roinik wrote:FWD takes about 10-15 mins to get pedalling if you've not had any bent experience, then around 1000 km to become cavalier and reckless. Your knees aren't the issue with FWD because all of the pivoting (except for tight corners) is done with the hips. They are fun and you can throw them around a fair bit. One limitation is that if you're expecting to climb 9% or above you can expect a bit of wheel slip. The full suspension is great. You will probably end up upgrading the rear shock because it is a cheaper unit. Plenty of options when that time comes.

There's still one advertised on OzHPV for $1000 in Sydney. The components are ok and what you'd normally expect on a generic hybrid. Do not expect to go blindingly fast because of the upright seating position. I find that the seating position is far better in traffic.
The softrider? That sold ages (mid last year) ago. Take that page with a grain of salt (like the website), I'm fairly certain it's a running joke or something. Everything I've ever enquired about is long long gone (i.e. months, if not years ago)

Low Racer

Postby Low Racer » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:19 am

There is a Cruzbike Quest for sale on Gumtree. Going for a song. Great deal if not sold yet. Shamed I have run out of storage space.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/adelaide ... 1062379000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

petie

Postby petie » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:56 pm

Rode down to Barwon Heads and around. Got my first recumbent sunburn, used my mtb sunscreen application routine and obviously got fried :'(

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:24 pm

Got the LoGo P-38 out of a the shed for a ride down to the harbour hoping to photograph the Margaret River Bridge coming into harbour but no sign of her. According to Fremantle Port the move started at 11:07 and I was out there not long afterwards. First attempt at photographing arrivals so maybe I should waited a lot longer.

Checking now it seems she is still out in Gage Roads and a good 20 minutes away from the harbour entrance ... whoops :oops:

Ah well nice little cruise.

Andrew

burnt

Postby burnt » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:58 pm

Out to my former workplace, Brisbane Airport, where the plane spotters gather;

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:03 am

Thread resurrection from 2015....
Not today but....
Did the five day version of the great Victorian Bike Ride from Halls Gap to Apollo Bay in late November 2016 on my Flying Furniture / Appoyo 20 - 26 tadpole trike. First GVBR since 2008 - work got in the way but I've fixed that.

There were several trikes on the ride, including an upright tandem for a disabled rider, the remaining trikes pretty much Greenspeeds of various models.

GVBR's are great fun, the social side of living in a tent city of 4,500 riders and volunteers ranging from 8 to 80-somethings, people in groups and people just along for the ride, is something quite special.

Riding the trike in among all those upright cyclists (of various skill levels...) is good fun. I find I end up with something of a moving acquaintance group of people who pass me on the climbs and who I then pass on the descents. People are often impressed by how damned fast the trike is on longer descents...

This year's ride was quite special - because Victoria has had so much late rain the Western Victorian part of the ride was unusually lush and green (not scalded yellow...) The Great Ocean Road ride was scenic as you might expect, and punishing for the ride from the 12 Apostles to Apollo Bay. Not so much the well know climb up Lavers Hill, but the 6 km or so in the last 15 kn of the ride before Apollo Bay - a serious 1st gear climb (Can't tell you the % grade, not that smart) with really no let up where you could get a spell for your legs. Lots and lots of people walking bits of this, on the trike I could just keep rolling the legs and keeping the body inside its limits!

All compensated by the whoo - hooo descent into Apollo Bay!

Would I do it again - yep! (2017 starts at Wilsons Prom and winds through Gipplsland. May have a hill or two....)

Cheers

Alan
Alan
BentCyclist

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:50 pm

OK - one year on and another Great Vic Bike (or Trike..) ride 5 day version done - Wilsons Prom to Bairnsdale about 335 km or so with about 3,500 riders this time.

Seemed to be quite a few trikes - a couple of Catrikes, several Greenspeeds, and a special with a seated / recumbent disabled rider pedaling in front and an upright rider behind. Saw this one last year as well. At least two recumbent bikes.

Terrific 60 km Sunday "hello" ride out of "The Prom" after some serious thunderstorms the night before, decent climb out of Tidal River to Yanakie in humid conditions, then a lovely undulating ride to Foster. Some compensating downhills so the trike saw 65 kph a couple of times, oh the feeling! Foster turned it on for the riders, closed off the main street all day and had many service club stalls etc open selling everything from fresh fruit to BBQ prawns.

Next day (Monday) 70 km via Toora to Yarram. Beautiful clear day, wonderful green Gippsland countryside. Decent climb after Toora to Woorara, followed by a wooo hoo winding descent and then undulating riding from Welshpool to Yarram.

Tuesday's ride 90 km from Yarram to Seaside 90 km. A warmer day with a steady, occasionally challenging climb from Yarram up to Wron Wron, a goodly descent again and then undulating riding to Seaspray on the 90 Mile Beach. Puncture fairies struck after the descent into the Woodside township, both front tyres deflating :x .....Maybe something nasty from the refreshment break at the top of the climb? This time the longer ride stretched a few riders, on-shore breeze as we approached Seaspray made for harder work than some might have preferred! Seaspray is a township with a pub, a surf club and general store (not much else). I can say a beer tasted pretty damned fine on the deck of the surf club with a great view of the surf beach.

Wednesday, last day of riding for me, 111 km from Seaspray to Bairnsdale via Sale and Bengwoorden. Not the easiest day's riding by a long shot - hot (34 degrees at 2-ish), niggly wind and hardly a decent downhill to give any respite. One of those riding days when I chased the shade, had to take an extra break or two to give the body some recovery time and the end couldn't come soon enough! A dip in the river at the campsite felt suitably restorative, a process largely completed by several schooners and a parma (classic $15 parma & schooner special, how can you argue with that? :shock: ) at the Imperial Pub over the bridge.

Packed up and out of there Thursday (the rest day for the 9 day riders) and before the weather threatens to make it the Great Victoria Swim Classic event! 8) Thanks GVBR number 5!

2018 GVBR route - Wangaratta - Beechworth - Rutherglen - Yarrawonga - Benalla, The Mountains, Murray and the flat country!

Cheers
Alan
BentCyclist

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:11 am

Sounds like a fun ride Alan. Thanks for the post.
Wife and I have enjoyed a couple of Great Vic rides but age and distance getting in the way these days for me.
Good to see the trikes out there. We rode Logo trikes and I reckon the trikes were the way to go.
John

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:21 pm

I would have seen you there. I was volunteering as a riding route marshall. You missed the best days riding. Bairnsdale to Maffra and then it became a mudpit and schools started to pull out, so half the field was left and then cops got recalled and ride got cancelled and stayed at Maffra.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

griffo1962

Postby griffo1962 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:36 pm

Finally got it going again after +3yr break after a fall on the way to work, repaired the damage & put it on the wind trainer tonight. Managed a HUGE 20minute ride...... now to start riding it to work again. :)

Recycler

Postby Recycler » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:24 pm

My EZ-Speedstar AX took me around the Coffs Harbour cycle path. :D :D

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:10 am

camperdown to kurnell to cronula, took the.train to wolli creek, then to cooks river to lakemba.

a recumbent is an eye.turner, with many WTH, Say What, OMGosh, what is that bike coming out from people

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:45 pm

opik_bidin wrote:camperdown to kurnell to cronula, took the.train to wolli creek, then to cooks river to lakemba.

a recumbent is an eye.turner, with many WTH, Say What, OMGosh, what is that bike coming out from people
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: that they do!!

then there's my Rotovelo....

same reaction ..times 10 :shock: :shock:
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:44 am

Yes.
Bents get a lot of reactions.
I agree with Recumbenteer. My Mango Velo Gets way more comments.
You get held up a bit too as people want to know more about them.
Back on topic.
My ride today was only about 12 km to do a little shopping.
Great thing about the velo is you can just stack it in on the floor.

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:23 pm

Lakemba-Olympic park, then the road along T3 line:
Lakemba-Punchbowl-Bankstown-Yagoona- Riverwood....and then searched the routes to Cabramatta AND FAIRFIELD.

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:44 pm

I got out into the hills.......

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/31557701
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

OldBloke

Postby OldBloke » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:43 pm

Not today, but last week rode a bit of Lake Macquarie and Newcastle.

https://www.relive.cc/view/2127494843

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:47 pm

Did 115 km this day going back Lakemba->Warragamba Dam loop around Sydney.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:36 am

Took my Ice B1 out yesterday. Fairly short loop, Riverton - Ardross. But I do have an overpass to ride up, well walk up it roll down it with feet off pedals at the moment. Got 188km on it now. Confidence is building.

My mate who was with me can kinda keep up with me on a DF but not on this :)

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:07 am

How long have you had it Baalz?
If I recall the B1 is a folder and I thought it was pretty heavy.
How do you find the steerer stem? That fold forward setup always worried me.
Have to catch up sometime.
my rides these days are mainly into town for shopping and the like so no long rides in a while.
John

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:52 am

John Lewis wrote:How long have you had it Baalz?
Had it for a while, but recent suspicions about DF's and my chest/shoulder have brought in the use of the recumbent more. It used to be Dave Dousts recumbent and he used it on Audax rides
If I recall the B1 is a folder and I thought it was pretty heavy.
Yep it folds, not ultra low weight either, but not as heavy as my Surly LHT and most likely will be lighter than my future trike
How do you find the steerer stem? That fold forward setup always worried me.
Only got 183km on the B1 so still getting used to it. I'm much better turning left than right for instance
Have to catch up sometime.
my rides these days are mainly into town for shopping and the like so no long rides in a while.
John
Similar for me. No major long rides, max about 50km unless I do BV great rides...

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:07 pm

After days on a DF, finally on the Cruzbike T50 again and its the comfort that I miss. Back commuting with the recumbent unless big rain happens

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:29 pm

Went to go do my Riverton - Ardross - Bicton loops today with my mate. Get to his house and DOH left my seat on my front lawn!!!
Got my mate in my car and drove home and did Baldivis - Rockingham Loop. 7 PR's. And I did have a low speed fall over. Off ride dirt bike had thrown heaps of rocks onto path. Avoided that, and was looking for oncoming cyclists before turning onto path and next thing on the deck I was. Not injured