Bent after spinal surgery

rangersac

Bent after spinal surgery

Postby rangersac » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:01 pm

Hello Bent riders,

Seeking a bit of information with regard to bent options for my partner, who's just had most of her L5/S1 disc removed. She's a regular commuter on a flat bar road bike, but given the advice from medicos and contacts who've had similar surgery, the recovery is likely to take 12 - 18 months. Has anyone had or know of someone who has had something similar and turned to a bent to ease pressure on their back? She has a pretty upright position at the moment, but it's really about reducing as much pressure as possible on the spine.

Thanks in advance

Edit: As pointed out in post 2
Last edited by rangersac on Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

skyblot

Re: Bent after spinal surgery

Postby skyblot » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:49 pm

A bit disappointing there have been no direct replies to this question. I can't offer much from a personal perspective with respect to back injuries or surgery, but can offer general advice.

If your wife can sit in a lounge chair/armchair without problem, then there is a very good chance a recumbent will be a viable option. My wife had a C4-C5 operation several years ago, and happily rides recumbent trikes around, with the proviso that the seat is not too reclined.

There are various styles of seat, from a foam seat base and mesh back, to a fibreglass hardshell molded seat and cover a range similar to an upright dining chair right through to a recliner/rocker.

The more reclined, the more the weight is spread over the whole back and jarring up the spine is greatly reduced, but it does get to a point where head angle (looking down towards toes) gets uncomfortable. My guess is a more upright seat will be better, but the only way to tell is to try.

Bartek

Postby Bartek » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:15 am

Hi Rangersac

I think you may have a typo in your post, you stated "my partner, who's just had most of her C5/S1 disc removed" I think you meant L5/S1, if so I had the same operation nearly ten years ago, I had my operation in January and was back doing light duties within 3 months and back fully operational as firefighter within 6 months. I got my first recumbent and was riding again within 4 months post-op, never looked back, couldn't believe how comfortable and how much more fun recumbents are. I have since progressed to a velomobile (enclosed recumbent) and was again surprised by how much faster and further I could ride compared to a road bike!

Both my surgeon and my physio told me that upright bikes shorten your hamstrings and weaken your back because of the position they put you in, both recommended that if I wanted to continue to cycle I should try a recumbent. I find it amazing that although cycling is marketed as a healthy exercise, few mention that road/racing bikes are actually bad for your back!

I hope this is of some use/encouragement,
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:06 pm

Hi Rangersac:

I'm not a medico, and haven't had a back operation, they're my disclaimers for a start! I'm 63 and have a minor back ailment, I can still ride an "upright" without too much issue.

Back comfort was one of the reasons I moved to the Bent-side. Riding a roadie, more so than an MTB, I would get sore neck and lower back on a longer ride no matter how much I fiddled with bike fit. This just doesn't happen in my 10 years of riding lying down!

Not sure how far your partner's commute is, on the traffic conditions. Your bent options include two wheels or three: short wheel base or long wheel base bent bikes, delta or tadpole trikes (two wheels leading or single front wheel leading) just for a start. Trikes are not great for commuting in heavy CBD traffic - although if your location is Snug in Tassie then you're probably not going to suffer this!

Cheers
Alan
BentCyclist

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:05 pm

Bartek wrote:Hi Rangersac

I think you may have a typo in your post, you stated "my partner, who's just had most of her C5/S1 disc removed" I think you meant L5/S1....
Correct indeed sir. Thanks for pointing that out. As you have mentioned, I think it's more likely that a bent will be of greater comfort, and I'm also pretty tempted by one as well as I spend a fair bit of time on the commute. The main issue is we are not exactly spoilt for choice in terms of having dealers to try them out in Tassie. Also the commute has a fair bit of up and down, so I'd be leaning toward a bent bike rather than a trike. My brother has a Cruzbike which I've had a crack on, the front wheel drive on that took some getting used to!

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:48 am

Just a comment on tadpole trikes.
Wife and I have ridden in Tassi twice now. Had no trouble on the highways and riding in Hobart , Devonport, Launceston and between. In fact no problems anywhere. Trikes are great in hills because no matter how slow you go you can't fall off. A trike just may suit your wife better.
Test rides.
When we were over there there was a bike hire place that had recumbent trikes for hire. I can't recall the name but it was down near the water towards the memorial somewhere. If you can find it might give you a chance to try.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:29 am

I don't want to appear facetious but I read the post description and thought "Who wouldn't be bent after spinal surgery" and that it was a medical question.

Any way as some have said, I have also had a bad back since I was 20 years old with slipped discs etc. So much so that a life insurance company refused me as a customer unless I left out my back as any future claim; all 20 years ago.

But I still ride my bike, and if any thing it frees my back and hamstrings relieving pain .

But we are all different.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

zebee

Postby zebee » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:10 pm

I have both a trike and a bike. Trikes are easier to start with and but bikes are better in traffic as you can see more and you are more manouverable. Plus they can pass you more easily. Trikes disappear behind bodywork so to pass you they have to swing out very wide which is nice for the trike but a bit rude in heavy traffic or uphill.

I found the move from a mesh seat steel bike to a carbon hard shell carbon bike a bit of a shock. The carbon Encore is definitely harsher ride than the steel Giro, but it is faster.

Only ridden a mesh seat trike, the GT20 is a lovely thing... very adjustable and comfortable. I'd suggest a trike for the back injury and agree on a bike for commuting.

Bikes are harder to find in Oz ,I got the Schlitter Encore frameset from overseas which is seat, frame, forks, idler, bars. You supply wheels, drivetrain, brakes. You send them your measurements and your money and they send you the kit to assemble with your gear. Now Flying Furniture is no more and trisled don't seem to be into Fujin anymore an Encore might be your best bet.

If you can make it across to Melb I'm sure this forum and the OzHPV facebook page could scare up some bikes and trikes to try.

Zebee

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:31 am

Have you consider a Greenspeed Anura? It's much higher up than a tadpole, such as a GT20, and seems it would be much easier to mount and dismount because of this. Further, in reading through the literature

http://greenspeed-trikes.com/anura.html

apparently it is possible to join two or more together and form a "train".

To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

zebee

Postby zebee » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:59 pm

Main hassle with deltas is they are less stable. I recall several posters on bentrider reporting that you couldn't corner with the same speed you use on a tadpole, presumably because of centre of gravity but also the whole thing is longer and more stretched out.

IF you aren't after speed then an Anura might be worth a look. Met a lady on a Greenspeed Magnum the other day, she had it on the highest seat setting and it was quite high up. She had back surgery and was getting back into riding.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:44 am

Joeblake wrote:Have you consider a Greenspeed Anura? It's much higher up than a tadpole, such as a GT20, and seems it would be much easier to mount and dismount because of this. Further, in reading through the literature apparently it is possible to join two or more together and form a "train".
I've actually done the train thing on a pair of Anura's towing my grandmother! She got one of these in her 70's and used it to toddle to the shops and church etc around East Melbourne. By the time she made it into her 80's the prospect of being towed by her grandson was quite appealing. I did find though that they weren't particularly stable at speed.

Thanks for the comments everyone, a Magnum did catch my eye due to its adjust ability and given Greenspeed are in Melbourne, getting there to try one out is not beyond the realms of possibility.

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:52 am

rangersac wrote:
I've actually done the train thing on a pair of Anura's towing my grandmother! She got one of these in her 70's and used it to toddle to the shops and church etc around East Melbourne.
Cool!! 8) Go, Granny, Go! Got any piccies?
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:58 am

Joeblake wrote: Cool!! 8) Go, Granny, Go! Got any piccies?
Unfortunately not readily to hand. Pre-smart phone days (well at least for me, I was late to the party) and all that. I will say that we certainly got our share of 'wow, that's awesome' comments riding through Southbank!

zebee

Postby zebee » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:52 pm

The GT20 is sort of a baby Magnum, the Magnum is Magnified...

The anura seat height is listed as
Seat Height 17 to 18” - 43 to 45 cm
the Magnum as
Seat Height 14 to 18” – 35 to 45 cm
the GT20 as
Seat Height 12 to 17” – 30 to 43 cm

so the Magnum might well be the go. You won't be able to test it at Greenspeed they don't have a showroom as such. But http://greenspeed-trikes.com/find-a-dealer.html says
MR Components
678 Stumpygully Road, Hastings, VIC, 3915, AUS

Cycle Science Mitcham
478 Whitehorse Road, Mitcham, VIC, 3132, AUS

Moronis Bikes
104 Mitchell Street, Bendigo, VIC, 3550, AUS

So maybe get on the blower to them?

Zebee