Tour Japan - Tokyo - Kyoto - Osaka

julliettajung

Postby julliettajung » Mon May 25, 2015 9:35 pm

Hi All,

I'm going to Japan in October and keen to squeeze in a few days of bike touring from Tokyo to Kyoto. I don't have to go all the way, just a few days of cycling within the 2 weeks.

Has anyone got any tips and suggested routes I can follow? My googling hasn't found much.
I lived there for a year ages ago and only cycled in cities, not between them. So I'm not sure what it'd be like on the road in terms of road, and accommodation.

If anyone else is interested in joining let me know.

Cheers,
Jules

jemima

Re: Tour Japan - Tokyo - Kyoto - Osaka

Postby jemima » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:02 pm

I often check out cycling in Japan sites.
On the bike today, was thinking about audax-type rides in Japan.

Maybe one day, I'll get over there :)

Good luck! Don't forget some pics on here, if you do organise something.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:36 pm

Check the Japan journals on CGOAB. You may find some useful information.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Tomodachi

Postby Tomodachi » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:16 pm

I'm going to Japan next week and hope to get in a ride from Takasaki to Kusatsu, about 70km through some hilly terrain.
Will be quite the adventure.

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:17 pm

Buy yourself a copy of the Mapple Touring R for that region. You can get them online from Yahoo Japan, or maybe EBay.
That's a map book put out for Motorcyclists. But also very useful for cyclists. Has campsites, pass elevations, contours, most convenience stores, hotels and onsens on there, plus a whole bunch of other useful stuff. Everything is in Japanese, but there are translations of the symbols and etc on the internet. Then use google translate on your phone to translate the various comments on the maps themselves. Has various roads marked for scenery, less traffic, nice lookouts etc etc.
Generally the aim is to find a free campground near an Onsen or Onsen Hotel in the vicinity of a 7-11. Ticks all the boxes, the money you save on the campground goes towards a soak in the tub and nice cold beer from the 7-11 afterwards!