2/3 weeks on the Danube

redrover3

Re: 2/3 weeks on the Danube

Postby redrover3 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:45 pm

Thanks for input mat664. I have been reading up on the Krimml-Salzburg ride. Sounds really nice. Did you do that section over 2 or more days. Suitable for a road bike on 28mm tyres? What did you do for accomodation? I see I can catch the train straight up from Munich. Any major climbs on that route?
Tony

mat664

Postby mat664 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:50 pm

Hi Tony,

I did that section over a number of days:
Day 1: Krimml to Zell am See. Mostly gentle rolling hills nothing difficult. Probably the most scenic day of the trip.
Day 2: Day in Zell am See. Bus trip to the Grossglockner and surrounding areas.
Day 3: Zell am See to Werfen. Visited the Werfen Castle and Birds of Prey exhibition was excellent. Didn't have time to visit the Salt Mines (they don't allow cameras in the Salt Mines also).
Day 4: Werfen to Oberndorf (just north of Salzburg) Visited the Golling Water Fall. Have been to Salzburg a few times before so just rode through this time. Met a former Scottish National Rugby player there and spent 5 hours at the bar...
Day 5: Oberndorf to Sharding.
Day 6: Sharding to Passau to Linz.

This is my itinerary for that segment...bear in mind I had a haematoma and spinal bruising from a fall in St Wolfgang so my daily km's were not that high...70-120km with my longest day, the last day at 138km. I would describe the route as very scenic but days 5 and 6 were not as scenic. I vaguely remember a bit of a hill near Taxenbach and another good climb just north of Werfen. I was on roads and tracks the whole time and would be fine on your bike. I have a Merida hybrid with 1.25 inch tyres with road bike style tyres fitted and had no issues. I never had a map or GPS just winged it the whole trip...there are plenty of signs.

Accommodation is everywhere I stayed mostly in Pensions and B&B's and never pre-booked...just rode into town and looked around. The only accommodation I booked for the whole trip was for the day I arrived. All the places I stayed had secure inside locations to store your bike. It is a different culture in Europe their road users respect cyclists.

On the Tauern Cycle Path there were beer huts along the way...you can ride up and drink a pint still sitting on your bike if it is not too busy (otherwise park your bike to the side)...and I did that a lot to ease the back pain...definitely would have failed a breath test on most days. There was a great camaraderie amongst touring cyclists there. I traveled solo as a mate pulled out of the trip...turned out better it makes you interact with the locals more.

redrover3

Postby redrover3 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:38 pm

Hi. Back with new plans. Had been reading about southern Bavaria and the cycling looks good.
So: Fly into Munich
Ride down to Starnberg on the lake.
Murnau, Fussen, Wertach, Oberstaufen and on to Lake Constance (Bodensee)
St Gallens, Konstanz, Schaffhausen and along the Rhine to Basel.
Up to Freiberg and through Donauschingen for some Black forest. (Not the pudding).
Back down to the north eastern side of Lake Constance for a few days to Lindau and train back to Munich for two nights before flying out.
Would like to hear from anybody who has travelled these routes for ideas and advice.
Tony