spare weekend in Europe - cycling advise

Matthews

spare weekend in Europe - cycling advise

Postby Matthews » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:02 am

Hi all, I'm going to Germany mid May 2017 for work and have a spare weekend in the middle. I would love to ride a few hills/mountains that we miss out on in Perth. Any recommendations? I have been looking and at spending the weekend in Geneva as from what i can tell that is the closest mountain range?? Any other suggestions? I will travel on Friday and back to Germany/Hannover on the Monday. I need to hire a bike and have had some contact with a bike hire place. Would rather stay in Germany if that meant good riding or hills.
Thanks in advance
Matt

dalai47

Re: spare weekend in Europe - cycling advise

Postby dalai47 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:35 am

Closest hills are just South of Hannover in the Ith and Harz, but are more short punchy bergs rather than long ascents. Closest Alps are Southern Germany, but I've only skied and not been there when cycling so can't comment further.

There are a number of online resources in regards to climbs. I'd suggest doing some searches and see what is about.

BruceCTG

Postby BruceCTG » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:34 pm

Matt, you might get some ideas from http://www.cycletoursglobal.com/Germany-Hills-Climbs

MartinFreiburg

Postby MartinFreiburg » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:42 am

Hi there from the black forrest in germany.

The hills around Geneva might still be quite cold in mid May - especially if you want to cycle alp passes - some of those even don`t open until midle of june.

If you want to try the black forrest area - there are quite demanding climbs as well (search for Kandel in climbbybike i.e.) - but also a lot of easier ones to start with. I`ll try to send you a pm - don`t know if I`ll succeed - just joined today as I was looking for advice myself.
We want to ride the GOR in october next year and I hope to get some info here.

Regards, Martin