Prompt Cycle Culture in Le Bourg d'Oisans - bike hiring conditions

Cyclophiliac

Prompt Cycle Culture in Le Bourg d'Oisans - bike hiring conditions

Postby Cyclophiliac » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:43 pm

I noticed the bicycle hiring conditions for Prompt Cycle Culture in Le Bourg d'Oisans includes that you leave your passport with them for the duration of the hire! :o
Their exact wording on the web page is:
ORIGINAL PHOTOGRAPHIC ID SUCH AS A PASSPORT OR DRIVING LICENCE MUST BE LEFT FOR THE DURATION OF THE HIRE
Have any of you hired a bike with this shop, and if so, did you actually have to leave your passport with them? I have serious qualms about leaving my passport with any vendor while overseas, so I'm not too happy about this condition.

Regards,

--- Victor.
Last edited by Cyclophiliac on Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ross

Re: Prompt Cycle Culture in Alpe d'Huez - bike hiring conditions

Postby Ross » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:13 pm

Maybe a photocopy would suffice

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:58 pm

Ross wrote:Maybe a photocopy would suffice
Perhaps. I emailed them using the web site's contact form with that question just now.

wicksey

Postby wicksey » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:34 am

I didn't have to leave my passport with them, but I was staying with them at their accommodation (morethan21bends.com) so that probably played a part. Phil is a nice guy.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:27 pm

wicksey wrote:I didn't have to leave my passport with them, but I was staying with them at their accommodation (morethan21bends.com) so that probably played a part. Phil is a nice guy.
Thanks, that's useful to know, because I was considering staying there also.

I have a long list of cols to visit! I'm thinking of staying there about 7-9 days.

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:30 pm

It's a bit rude of them to ask for a passport when pretty much anyone who will have their passport with them on holiday in Alpe d'Huez will be a non-EU national and therefore technically should have it with them at all times, not left with someone else.

But hey, it happens. I usually bring my driver's licence with me for exactly this reason. Worst case scenario if they lose it I can still get home on the plane.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:44 pm

scirocco wrote:It's a bit rude of them to ask for a passport when pretty much anyone who will have their passport with them on holiday in Alpe d'Huez will be a non-EU national and therefore technically should have it with them at all times, not left with someone else.

But hey, it happens. I usually bring my driver's licence with me for exactly this reason. Worst case scenario if they lose it I can still get home on the plane.
Is that a requirement? I've been to various places where they hold your passport - most recently a campground I was staying at for 3 weeks in Fontainebleau. Pretty sure I've done the same at other European accommodation in the past.

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:32 pm

Yes, it’s a requirement, and enforced more these days with the heightened security.

Hoteliers can ask to see passports, and campgrounds will often store them for you because they are sick of them being stolen from tents, but no-one except the authorities has the right to demand to hold them for an extended period.

Businesses love keeping them for hiring security, because they know you will move heaven and earth to get them back. Just say politely, “sorry, I’m required to carry it, here’s my driver’s licence and credit card authorisation instead.”

Walk away if that’s not good enough for them. Why turn their problem into your problem?

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:56 pm

I just got a reply to my email. I've heard of security deposits, but this is a bit discouraging (especially since I've never had a drivers licence):
Hi

Original photo Id only passport or driving licence. Or you can leave 1000 euros in card or cash plus a copy of ID.

All are kept in our safe.

Hope this helps

Phil

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:22 pm

You could just take the risk and leave your passport. I would probably do it myself if all I was going to do was TT up the Alpe and then give the bike back.

But not if, say, you were going to ride the Marmotte loop. Imagine what happens if you’re in a traffic incident in St Jean du Maurienne and you’re trying to explain to the gendarme in your best French that your only ID is on top of a mountain 80 km away.

Having said all that, lots of visitors take that exact gamble and scoff at the idea of actually complying with the law. There are loads of Tripadvisor forum threads on this subject.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:21 am

Thanks scirocco. Honestly wasn't aware I need to have my passport on me at all times! Thought drivers licence would be enough...

I have duel citizenship, so this is a good reason to finally get my other passport - as planning on another 3 weeks bouldering at Fontainebleau again next year.

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:27 am

To be fair I think the requirement uses words something like “national identity document”, not “passport”, but this is to cover EU citizens that may not have a passport, just an official identity card. I’m not sure if a driving licence from an Australian state qualifies as a “national identity document or not.

Personally I ride without the passport for shorter local rides where I could just say “it’s back in the hotel”. The police on a remote mountain top was a bit of a wake-up call, though.

Warin

Postby Warin » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:43 pm

scirocco wrote: I’m not sure if a driving licence from an Australian state qualifies as a “national identity document or not.
Any police officer in Australia can use an Australian driving licence, from any state or territory, to confirm your identity. Thus it is a truly 'national identity document'. 8) If you loose it and get a replacement you could end up with two of them .. of course the older one, if found, may get recognised as being the 'lost' one in Australia.