Posting bike bag etc. from Canada to USA

uad782

Posting bike bag etc. from Canada to USA

Postby uad782 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:07 am

Hi Everyone,
I am planning from cycling from Banff to Helena later this year taking my bike over from Aus. I have a soft bike bag and a few clothes/tools I would like to post forward to Helena to save on weight.

Will I have any problems such as import duties at the US end?

Is there a better way. Every kilo of weight I save will help me outrun the bears!

Thanks

tmac100

Re: Posting bike bag etc. from Canada to USA

Postby tmac100 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:56 am

There seems to be no issue with sending parcels to the USA using Canada Post. You will need to complete a Customs Declaration form stating contents (such as personal clothes and bicycle touring parts). A value will be needed (such as: NCV personal used items not for resale). It is US Customs call about duty, but if you state used, personal, NCV , you should not come to grief. Just remember: no tobacco, alcohol, drugs.....

United States Customs inspectors may (probably will) open your parcel and inspect contents.

I assume you know that you can address the package to yourself at "General Delivery" at the town/city you are sending it to. I have personally used this all over this planet - and especially in the USA and within Canada. In some places with several post offices you should either find which "branch" of USPS handles Gen Del, or send it to a particular branch.

Not sure if you can send a used stove in the mail.

Warin

Postby Warin » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:15 am

tmac100 wrote:I assume you know that you can address the package to yourself at "General Delivery" at the town/city you are sending it to. I have personally used this all over this planet - and especially in the USA and within Canada.

Known as 'Poste Restante' in the rest of the world.
tmac100 wrote:In some places with several post offices you should either find which "branch" of USPS handles Gen Del, or send it to a particular branch.

Best to send it to a small town where there is only one post office. I had one sent to Athens ... spend half a day going from one post office to another.
tmac100 wrote:Not sure if you can send a used stove in the mail.
If there is no smell of fuel you probably could.

uad782

Postby uad782 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:52 pm

Thanks

Just want to post my tardis and a pair of jeans and Allen keys. I will have the stove with me on the bike.

Warin

Postby Warin » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:15 am

There are limits on how long they will keep things.
You won't need the bike bag until you leave .. and that is probably a more fixed date and place .. if you have some hotel that your going to stay at there .. then that is probably the best place to sent the bike bag to... talk to the hotel first but they usually will accommodate you. Don't know about the rest of the gear.
In NSW the limit is now, I believe, a week. Used to be 2 weeks. They might take pitty on you if you write, on the outside, your expected pick up date...