Best Android app for route planning, navigation and offline route recording?

juzzle

Best Android app for route planning, navigation and offline route recording?

Postby juzzle » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:16 pm

Hi all - I am heading out on some adventure cycling - Russia to Italy. I have been looking around for the best app for both route planning, navigation and offline route recording - on my list so far are:

Komoot - web interface is good providing you don't make too complex a route
OsmAnd - seems to have a clunky interface, doesn't always find destinations
• MapMyRide - great route recording, but no route planning[/list]

I am happy to use one for navigation and separate app for recording (though I'd prefer not to since that will chew a lot of battery power)

There are a range of suggested apps on this page, though it's unclear of they only offer planning (and not route recording) - https://longhaultrekkers.com/the-best-o ... e-touring/.

If you have experience with any of the above or in the link, do you have any thoughts?

Many thanks!

Aushiker

Re: Best Android app for route planning, navigation and offline route recording?

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:27 pm

I don't use my phone on the bike, preferring to use http://ridewithgps.com in combination with my Garmin Edge 1030, however we have an upcoming walk in France (couple of weeks) and I will be using my Samsung Edge S8 to both record the track and to help with the navigation.

Given I have been able to obtain GPX tracks for the trail I have now narrowed my choice of apps down to:

Locus Map
and
Oruxmaps[bike friendly as well it seems]

The crticial features for me are:

[1] Offline mapping;
[2] Can upload GPX tracks;
[3] Tracking

Both are quite sophisticated; the Oruxmaps probably has a steeper learning curve.
Last edited by Aushiker on Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baalzamon

Re: Best Android app for route planning, navigation and offline route recording?

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:26 pm

How about Sygic?
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

juzzle

Postby juzzle » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:29 pm

Thanks all for the advice!

@Baalzamon
How about Sygic?
Sygic looks like an amazing Nav app, but is for cars mainly. The website too is amazing. Thanks for the tip. However, it does not offer planning or recording

@Aushiker
I don't use my phone on the bike, preferring to use http://ridewithgps.com in combination with my Garmin Edge 1030, however we have an upcoming walk in France (couple of weeks) and I will be using my Samsung Edge S8 to both record the track and to help with the navigation. .. (snip) .. Locus, Oruxmaps
I'm planning on a months long solo trip, so adding yet another device is just one more to not have stolen and not charge :D , so to your recommendations:

Locus - plans, navigates and records - looks excellent!
Oruxmaps - unfortunately it has been removed from the Google Play store, so it's a not starter :(

LG

Postby LG » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:17 pm

I'm a Locus pro user for navigation and trip recording and find it excellent, it was our only means of navigation for a European tour last year. Used in conjunction with a dynamo usb charger and with the phone screen on only periodically I can usually get through a day with the phone pretty much fully charged at the end.
LG = Low Gear

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:10 pm

Another app not on your list is ViewRanger - it's well worth a look. Lots of routes Russia through Italy.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:53 pm

juzzle wrote:Oruxmaps - unfortunately it has been removed from the Google Play store, so it's a not starter :(
Showing for me as Oruxmaps Donate. However I would go Locus Maps Pro over Oruxmaps, more so if you want to use offline maps.

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:02 am

juzzle wrote: I am happy to use one for navigation and separate app for recording (though I'd prefer not to since that will chew a lot of battery power)
I'm on iOS so maybe different but I don't see any evidence of this. And neither it should be on a properly designed operating system. The OS handles the GPS tracking, not the apps. The apps just ask for the GPS position data from the OS once every second or so for a couple of ms to do whatever they want with it. It's not like they are both doing complex high frequency stuff or anything. I would imagine they are asleep 99% of the time.

Personally I've had good results with the Ride with GPS app. For me it's a no-brainer as I do my route planning on that website (and share with others who do as well). I use Cyclemeter as my main recording app with connectivity to my Stages power meter and displaying on a Wahoo RFLKT, simultaneous with the Ride with GPS audio giving me turn by turn directions. Same battery consumption regardless of whether both apps are running or just one.

juzzle

Postby juzzle » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:50 am

RonK wrote:Another app not on your list is ViewRanger - it's well worth a look. Lots of routes Russia through Italy.
Thank you @Ronk - others elsewhere have mentioned this too - must check it out

juzzle

Postby juzzle » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:52 am

scirocco wrote:
juzzle wrote: I am happy to use one for navigation and separate app for recording (though I'd prefer not to since that will chew a lot of battery power)
I'm on iOS so maybe different but I don't see any evidence of this. And neither it should be on a properly designed operating system. The OS handles the GPS tracking, not the apps. The apps just ask for the GPS position data from the OS once every second or so for a couple of ms to do whatever they want with it. It's not like they are both doing complex high frequency stuff or anything. I would imagine they are asleep 99% of the time.

Personally I've had good results with the Ride with GPS app. For me it's a no-brainer as I do my route planning on that website (and share with others who do as well). I use Cyclemeter as my main recording app with connectivity to my Stages power meter and displaying on a Wahoo RFLKT, simultaneous with the Ride with GPS audio giving me turn by turn directions. Same battery consumption regardless of whether both apps are running or just one.
@scirocco - that looks like a worthy combination - thanks! I'll check it out too

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:12 pm

Maps.me was of great value for me on travels in Europe.