Travel insurance that covers your bike

Zippy7

Travel insurance that covers your bike

Postby Zippy7 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:42 pm

I'm looking to travel to France/Italy next year.
Will take my own bike.

I will take out some travel insurance, and I want coverage for the bike in case it gets damaged on the way over.

Anyone have any tips/recommendations?
Velosure travel insurance does not cover bikes...

Thanks in advance.
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

Trevtassie

Re: Travel insurance that covers your bike

Postby Trevtassie » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:38 pm

You can usually do it as an add on to your travel insurance by nominating the bike as a special item, isn't cheap though, seems to be about 10% of the value of the bike.

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:44 pm

Trevtassie wrote:You can usually do it as an add on to your travel insurance by nominating the bike as a special item, isn't cheap though, seems to be about 10% of the value of the bike.
The thing is, the travel agent wanted to sell me a great Allianz travel insurance policy. But reading the fine print, they won't cover any bikes, even if it was a nominated item.

Hence my query here, because they're happy to take your money, but would be sad if it turns out it is just not covered in the fine print.

Perhaps no one bothers taking out specific insurance. That's fine too, but just want to know if anyone has a good insurer who does cover bikes.

PA

Postby PA » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:02 pm

Try Cover More. covermore.com.au HI have used them and think I had made a claim with them. Can not find any reference to Bicycle in their PDS.
Mouse magnet

LG

Postby LG » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:48 pm

We looked into additional bike coverage for our recent trip to Japan. We purchased insurance with our local RACT, they gave us the option of buying extra coverage for the bikes. Reading the fine print it only covered the bikes for theft when they were locked up in a hotel room, it didn't cover damage of the bikes while in use, theft of the bikes while locked up in a town, or any coverage of the bags on the bike. Not the best value for a camping tour, it didn't cover any extra than the standard travel insurance so we declined the extra payment.
LG = Low Gear

rowdyflat

Postby rowdyflat » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:29 pm

Depending on the value of the bike , separate insurance as an added extra is best.
We also listed the parts, if it is not standard and got the bike shop to verify the value.

AndyRevill

Postby AndyRevill » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:10 pm

I have my bike insured for damage permanently with Velosure and that policy includes 90 days cover outside of Australia, including when in transit (including my bike bag). I just have to notify them with my itinerary. I'm surprised they can't cover you through their travel insurance, maybe the marginal cost to the premium is too high?

Andy
Trek 1.7 dec.
Trek Domane 4.5

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:24 pm

Thanks for the replies.
I will look into covermore and ring a few others.