Repco Chopper Project

stackyard59

Repco Chopper Project

Postby stackyard59 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:14 pm

I have a Repco? Dragster thing, that has kinda the same design as a Raleigh chopper but has a 20' front wheel,three speed 333 rear wheel was originally fitted.Can anybody give any info on when these were made ,etc?

Wild Turkey

Postby Wild Turkey » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:13 pm

Not sure but I heard REPCO stands for

Riders
Experiance
Parts
Comming
Off

Or

Rip
Every
Poor
Customer
Off

Good luck mate.

stackyard59

Postby stackyard59 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:06 pm

Yep, the build quality has to be seen to be believed! Shame its not a car, we could have drained the oil, put a brick on the throttle and sat back with a beer and watch the show!

theboss290

Re: Repco Chopper Project

Postby theboss290 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:13 am

probably late 70's toward the end of the dragster / chopper bike era?? there was a couple of chopper designs that came out at this time, I know i have one in waiting for resto i even found the shop who sold mine lol !! he gave me the info i needed most we sold along side the Raleigh Chopper as a cheaper alternative. Mine is a choper 01 made by a company called Black Horse (chines) which in turn i think got sued because its an exact copy of the Raleigh Chopper the company went out of business in the late 70's or early 80's. others made slight changes to the design to avoid being sued lol , if you have any photos i would be interested in seeing them, mine has been on ice for about 10 years now :roll: but i do have plans on restoring it some day :lol:

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:14 pm

According to Sheldon, Shimano 333 hubs should be steered clear of. A newer Shimano or a Sturmey-Archer 3-speed hub does the same job better.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

oldschoolfool

Postby oldschoolfool » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:59 pm

I had a Repco chopper as a kid. Shortly after receiving it for Christmas (1972or3) they were recalled and replaced with dragsters. The problem was the frames were cracking at the head tube weld (lugless). This was because they had a 20" front wheel which led to a short head tube which in turn provided inadequate torsional resistance at the front of the frame and hence they cracked. I used to catch the train with my chopper to get to school and kept the fare for the return trip and rode home. Good times!!
  • Tange Free Zone

C.W.E

Postby C.W.E » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:53 pm

is it a repco pacer 747?