My retro Dragster toy

MzGia

My retro Dragster toy

Postby MzGia » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:24 pm

Hi All,

I just wrote a long post in the Retro bikes sub-forum, didn't see this one! Just going to copy/paste for ease.......

Just joined this forum today because as of last night, I am now the proud owner of a mystery retro/vintage dragster/star(?) bike!

Picked it up from Bondi last night. Have been talking about getting one for years and feel like a kid at Xmas, can't believe it's finally mine....

The thing is, I can't tell much about it. The girl who sold it to me said her partner bought it from a 'guy who drinks at the pub' so its origin is a bit of a mystery. There's no branding or anything on it, thinking perhaps someone built it, just don't know, but it's part of the fun.

Have decided to do a faithful restoration/fix up of this bike, to bring it back to its former glory - thinking new white wall tyres, re-chroming, longer sissy bar, etc...have looked hard to see what the original colour of it was, but looks like they spray painted it red, then black and sprayed the handlebars green. Some of this spraypaint is on the seat. There is some superficial rust, but everything seems in working order, it's just been sitting in a garage for awhile.

It's going to be amazing after bit of attention. Quite frankly, if the tyres weren't flat as a tack, I'd be riding it proudly all over town right now!

It was $75.... what do you think?

dragstar painter

Re: My retro Dragster toy

Postby dragstar painter » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:38 pm

hi MzGia. i'm the fool on the small chopper in the pic in the retro forum you started. what you have there is a mk2 bratts (ROCK STARS) bike from around 2006-7. so not a real old bike, but still something that can be built up as either a mod lowrider or retro style dragster. check out.
http://www.dragsterbikes.com/
there's heaps there.
cheer
brad

MzGia

Postby MzGia » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:04 pm

dragstar painter wrote:hi MzGia. i'm the fool on the small chopper in the pic in the retro forum you started. what you have there is a mk2 bratts (ROCK STARS) bike from around 2006-7. so not a real old bike, but still something that can be built up as either a mod lowrider or retro style dragster. check out.
http://www.dragsterbikes.com/
there's heaps there.
cheer
brad
Heya, thanks for replying! Sure enough, the bike was stripped back and you were right about it being a Bratz Rock Star bike and not the retro find I thought it was. That's pretty impressive! (you identifying it straight away, not it being uncovered as a Bratz haha)

But that has just made it easier to do a quick pimp of it, as I'm not feeling pedantic about a tradional/sympathetic restoration. Will post pics up as soon as it's done! and the paint and rust actually came off the chrome sections better than thought (probably because it's not as old as imagined) and have come up really well just using chrome paint spray, rather than having to get them rechromed. The frame has had two coats of wicked electric shimmer blue paint so far.

It's more of a quick pimp up than I would have done if it were actually vintage/retro, just a makeover for a new lease on life.

Must have bikes in my blood already! Went to this bike auction in my area and found another dejected, old looking dragster and put a bid on it. The boy and I thought it was too sweet looking to go to the dump. It was called a Skidster or something and was once a working electric type dragster, with a smaller front wheel and everything! The buttons and things on it looked pretty old.....had a look online and can't find any info on Skidster.

Anyways, find out in a few hours if it's mine! Might give it a polish up and put it on eBay, but might want to keep it as a cool looking bike. The boy suggested ripping the handlebars off and making it into a BMX and I have vetoed anyone else touching it, as I understand if there's any value at all it would only be in keeping everything original. Should stop counting my auctions before they're won though!

theboss290

Postby theboss290 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:06 pm

the seat was a dead give away ;) good pick up tho would make a great project, I have the original purple Bratz lowrider as a project bike .

C.W.E

Postby C.W.E » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:58 pm

and the frame shape

cool all the same

thats what your looking for

very cool custom base, do a rat rod outta it