to dragster or not

Doug86

to dragster or not

Postby Doug86 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:16 pm

Hey Guys,

I have recently been getting back into riding after a long absence due to a large crash or two. I have been on the roadie now for a good 5 months and am loving it but dont like the fact that going anywhere requires prep (shoes, clothes etc). I am missing the good old days where i had a few bikes and could just up and go on an old MTB or BMX. to this end i ave decided to get a second bike and seeing as i have always wanted a lowrider or chopper i thought why not.

but then i did start thinking why not and came up with some points which i need some insight on. Mainly, while i want it for crusising around on (I live near the beach and do enjoy a cruise past brigthon and glenelg) i will also be using it for rides with my girlfriend when we go to frisbee games. Its about a 15km ride and does involve some rideing on busyish roads. I dont like taking the roadie as she rides an old cruiser and its frustratingly slow when im on the roadie. I was wondering how people who ride these types of bikes would think that would go, both in terms of distance and on the road.

Sorry for the very basic question but alas i know no one with these bikes or anyone who has ever owned one.

Cheers
Doug
Who needs a car, I got a BIKE!
oh, its wet...
"sweety, can i use the car?"

hartleymartin

Re: to dragster or not

Postby hartleymartin » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:43 pm

Dragster perhaps not a great idea. A cruiser would possibly suit your needs.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

BurtO

Postby BurtO » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:55 pm

I dont know if this is what your after, but Ive seen a couple of Malvern Star Skidstar bikes come up on ebay and I think could give you the look your after whilst offering ( with a bit of set up ) decent real world riding capability, Oh did I mention there mid 70's and are going for $400 plus, but hey ,just thought I'd throw in my two bob's worth! Good Luck.

Wild Turkey

Postby Wild Turkey » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:39 am

Be at the top of mt lofty with a bike. 12 mid day oct 2nd.

The Boneshakers will guide you.....................

mrmorbid

Postby mrmorbid » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:51 pm

G'day Doug,

My family and I love getting out on our bikes as often as we can, usually doing West Beach to Glenelg or Semaphore to Largs North. Not a long way, but our 7 year old only has so much stamina.
I like to cruiser the concrete on an Electra Ratfink, while my wife has a beach cruiser from Kamikazee Disposals, and our son is the proud owner of an original 1970's (?) Malvern Star Wildcat dragster.
I also have a beach cruiser and and Stingray chopper which is for jnr when he can reach the pedals properly.
We love our cruisers/dragster/chopper and find them perfect for our riding style.

Darren

Doug86

Postby Doug86 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:57 am

Cheers for the replys guys.

Thinking I might need to get out there and have a real look at some of these things, maybe give some of them a test ride. Still a bit shaky on the distinction between some of these bikes, just when i think i have it sorted i find on that doesnt fit the mold in my head :oops:

Anyone know a shop that stocks these bikes in Adelaide (preferably south of the city).
oh, its wet...

mrmorbid

Postby mrmorbid » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:30 pm

Bernie Jones Cycles at Warradale are a distributor for Electrta bikes and they usually have a couple of the cruisers in stock.
Standish Cycles at West Lakes also have a couple of Electras on display and can order different models in.
If you want to head north, Mawson Lakes Cycles have Electras as well. The owners also have a funky looking chopper (I think the make is Kona) and a Ratfink on display. They have also imported a frame from Canada from a company called Firebikes, and were planning on building a custom bike.
Failing that, there is a neat looking Fely Bandit on ebay, if you are inclined to bid and bring over from WA.

theboss290

Postby theboss290 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:45 am

mrmorbid wrote: Mawson Lakes Cycles have Electras as well. The owners also have a funky looking chopper (I think the make is Kona) and a Ratfink on display. They have also imported a frame from Canada from a company called Firebikes, and were planning on building a custom bike.
Its built mate and it looks F##ing awsome!! they are on there second one now which should be close to being finished.

Doug86

Postby Doug86 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:22 pm

Cheers for the shops guys. Will def check them out over the next few days. Must say I do like the look of some of them.
oh, its wet...

mrmorbid

Postby mrmorbid » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:38 pm

I will have to cruise down to ML Cycles Daniel to have a squiz at the Firebike if it is on display. I love their frames.

mrmorbid

Postby mrmorbid » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:10 am

No probs Doug, hope you find yourself a neat cruiser.
As Wild Turkey said, try and get up to Mt Lofty this Saturday, and you can check out a heap of different bikes.
I am going to try and do the same if I can work out how to get myself up there.

Doug86

Postby Doug86 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:46 pm

Yeah, I'll try and get up there. Might make it a stop on a hills ride on the roadie.

Looking at prices I reckon i will have to go second hand or even resto job. Is the best bet for old bikes ebay? seen one or two up there but they are either interstate and im not sure if postage will kill me or they are hear but not what im after etc. If there a spot, like a classic bike graveyard i can raid for a decent price. wouldnt mind giving a reco job a go, like getting hands on!
oh, its wet...

Wild Turkey

Postby Wild Turkey » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:29 pm

Doug86

Postby Doug86 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:35 pm

Well, i couldnt help myself. I found this beauty on eBay and snapped it up. Prob paid too much for it but hey, it was there and in Adelaide.

Its a roadmaster something something. The pervious owner said its from late seventies or early eighties but im not too sure about that.

It needs a bit of work but i have already started. I have stripped it down and repainted the frame in a nice gloss red with ample clear coat and I have fixed up a few other bits that were a bit amiss.

Question...How hard is it to convert something like this to having a coaster brake (is that the one where you push back on the peddels?)? I would like to keep the new ape hangers im getting free of cables which currently means there is no brake on it :shock: not that its riding far at the moment as its all still in bits from the paint job.

Other things that i will be doing will include a new seat, new rims with whitewall tyres, wing mirrors, mug guards...maybe some spokedokes if i get really board.

More pics to come :)
oh, its wet...

theboss290

Postby theboss290 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:12 am

:lol: I was thinking about bidding for that as it was only around the corner from my house !!

been after a 20" girls frame for a bit but i forgot all about that one :roll:

I dont think the seat post is genuian ?? but if you dont want it ill buy it off you :wink:

hewey

Postby hewey » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:02 am

Question...How hard is it to convert something like this to having a coaster brake (is that the one where you push back on the peddels?)? I would like to keep the new ape hangers im getting free of cables which currently means there is no brake on it :shock: not that its riding far at the moment as its all still in bits from the paint job.
Is quite easy if the rear dropouts (where the back axle sits) are horizontal, which they should be. You'll need either a new hub or a complete new rear wheel, you might be able to raid one from an unloved Bratz bike or something?

You'll need to attach the coaster brake arm to the frame. Sometimes the frames have a slot for you to do this (below) and sometimes you need to strap it down (bottom pic)

Doug86

Postby Doug86 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:14 pm

hewey wrote:Is quite easy if the rear dropouts (where the back axle sits) are horizontal, which they should be. You'll need either a new hub or a complete new rear wheel, you might be able to raid one from an unloved Bratz bike or something?

Damn :( The rear drops are on an angle and face towards the front. Is it still possible? or will i have to submit to the standard brakes?
oh, its wet...

theboss290

Postby theboss290 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:32 pm

Just the same as the last photo mate just need the hub with the little bar thingo sorry guys dont know the tech name lol and the little strap to hold it in place.

If you can find a older bike that was sold at department stores most have them.

hewey

Postby hewey » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:33 pm

So they're diagonal like this? you should be okay :D the key thing is having some ability to move the axle back or forwards to adjust the chain tension, not a fixed axle line like a modern roady or mountain bike

Doug86

Postby Doug86 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:52 pm

Right, some piccys for you...well quite a few

I'll admit it would have been much easier if i could find my damn chain breaker or if i could be bothered getting the cranks off but they were pretty well stuck on there.

the paint is a simple Gloss Red and a clear coat from super cheep auto. Next is some new tyres asthe ones on there now are well and truly shot! as well as a taller sissy bar so i can raise the seat and some bigger handle bars.

oh, and it def needs a break :)
oh, its wet...

Doug86

Postby Doug86 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:56 pm

hewey wrote:So they're diagonal like this? you should be okay :D the key thing is having some ability to move the axle back or forwards to adjust the chain tension, not a fixed axle line like a modern roady or mountain bike

Excellet :) thats great. now i have to find one!!! any ideas?
oh, its wet...

theboss290

Postby theboss290 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:46 pm

where abouts are you ?? i have one you can have off an old BMX ??

Wild Turkey

Postby Wild Turkey » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:19 pm

I should have a NOS coaster hub and frame clamp. So if you build new wheels then that could be a start?

I also have the genuine NOS cranks for them too!

C.W.E

Postby C.W.E » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:19 pm

very cool that you built this up

early 80s roadmaster mate