Zundapp Cycle

Pushie Pirate

Zundapp Cycle

Postby Pushie Pirate » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:51 pm

Have been building this one on and off over the last year or so, she's stalled a bit of late due to other stuff
getting in the way, here is the build diary started around May 2012

Going to have a go at building a push bike something like this, it's a Zundapp used by the German army during
WW II sort of stand off scale, hopefully I'll get her done in the time? So sketch first and a bit of planning.
Image Image

Been a model maker for some time, so got a 1/24th scale kit of the bike to get an idea on some of the details.
Image Image

Bit more planning with pencil on paper.
Image Image

Drew up a scaled up plan for the frame, just slightly smaller than a real one.
Image Image

Donor bike and some bits of steel for the frame.
Image Image

So here is the front section of frame, mounted up on a jig of plywood with nails to hold it's position.

Multi pie cuts to get that aggressive curve in the lower frame, will be tricky to weld. The top end not so difficult
Image Image

Here are the frame parts pretty much ready to be welded together, hopefully soon.

Feel like I have done a lot but not got far, at least I have a rolling frame! So here is a bit of a mock up of the
beginnings of this bike. Yep she will be chunky, yep she will be a little heavy but hey weight will mean momentum
right! Took a bit to hold all this together and get her welded.
Image Image

Here is how I got around those fine pie cuts front lower frame, covered them with a plate and welded
the edge of the plate.

Here is the front end, that little stork will be for the gear lever. Will run the gear and brake cables
down the centre of the upper lengths.
Image Image

The rear of the frame just behind the seat post to the start of the donor frame section that I used.
Had a few headaches getting this section right, you can see my finger pointing to the rear of the
frame where I put a cut to bend the section down.
Image Image

The bars are some stock cruiser bars with a short length extending them slightly.
Image Image

No fancy mig or tig welder for me, old school arch welder low amps and 2mm rods and blast a few
holes then fill them! Most people who have mig welders here have real problems with feed as the
salt air creates corrosion on the coil of wire and it doesn't feed well, none of these problems with
arch. Now take it easy on my welds folks, far from a master. Also notice the rust, only welded up
a couple of days ago photographed this afternoon, the salt air thatsurrounds me doing its stuff!

Here she is all mocked up, at least she looks a bit like the real thing.
Image Image
The chrome fenders will be painted.

Image Image

Working light is just a cheapy torch, the wartime bikes had shades so they couldn't be seen so well at night.
Image Image

As I pulled here down I took a pic with the rear seat off, looks okay like this I think.
Image Image

From here a bit more welding, and a heap of sanding and filling of the ply bits, then paint and assembly
can see the glow at the end of the tunnel!

So a bit of slow progress, seem to have done a lot but doesn't look like much, lots of filling and sanding
to get to where she is now at least it is all one colour!
Image Image

She will be a two seater like to original but will spend sometime as a single seater as I think she looks
better with out the second seat.
Image Image

That's a Honda CT 90 headlight surround and a VW oil filler cap topping off the fake tank.
Image Image

The little box on top of the tank was used for storage on the original, seats will be covered eventually.
Image Image

The original had heat shields on the muffler, I am using them to stop the passengers feet getting stuck
in the spokes. The foot pegs again from a Honda CT90
Image Image
Cut it up and turn it into something else!

HappyHumber

Re: Zundapp Cycle

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:33 pm

Impressive!
How's the clearance for some extra fat 26" tyres?
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Pushie Pirate

Postby Pushie Pirate » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:25 am

HappyHumber wrote:Impressive!
How's the clearance for some extra fat 26" tyres?
Yep good question, got "around it", scuse the pun, the real ones had
good clerance between the tyres and guards as they where used off
road a fair bit, won't have real fats on this one, 125s only.

jaffaman

Postby jaffaman » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:03 pm

Love the build. Particularly those dual seats, and modelling it on a classic motorbike is a great idea.

cray-

Postby cray- » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:27 pm

Shame it's so hard to fit decently chunky rubber on a pushie. Apart from that it looks like a very interesting built. Amazing what a bit of bog/bondo, sandpaper and primer can do. Look forward to seeing more progress.

Pushie Pirate

Postby Pushie Pirate » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:57 am

Plodding away on this one managed to get a bit more detail on her getting close to paint.

Used an old trailer hitch for the passenger handle, scrap foam and paint on the seats.
Image Image

Really wanted a taillight close to to original, so scratch built this, an old can and some plywood.
Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Bit of bondo and some sand paper got me close.
Image Image

Finally a shifter from a couple of VW Beetle heater cable levers.
Image Image

Image Image