The Fleet.

bychosis

The Fleet.

Postby bychosis » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:13 am

As they are lower on the priority list I've had these for a while, not doing much.

Cyclops from council cleanup. When found it had been hacked a bit. The saddle was in two bits held together by some shelving steel and duct tape. The stem was half cut through, like with a hacksaw, and bars missing. Replaced the bars with some that I widened and switched the saddle from the Skywagen below after repairing the original saddle. As the guard and sissy bar were painted already I painted the bars etc to match and added the chainguard. Think I need to paint the seatpost now.

This Skywagen was off ebay, with another. It came with the saddle above, but when I repaired it figured it would suit a ratty style better so switched it in. The saddle was repaired from two rusty bits, split across the middle. Chose hessian because cheap, and I didn't have any Mexican blankets around. I also used a spoke to hold the back guard in place as the stays were gone. The sissy bar had a couple of suitable holes on position for that. Otherwise, except tyres (scrounged), this is in 'as purchased' condition. I rode it to work once for a laugh.
Might fill in the back of the seat one day, I've got a few large reflectors to whack on there.

Thirdly, a 16".
Not the original banana seat, it didn't come with one. No idea what they were thinking with the brandingon this. It's not for a BMX and what self respecting 16" sized rider is ging to want to have baby land stamped on their bike!

2 more to come after some more paint and fender construction.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

10speedsemiracer

Re: The Fleet.

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:30 am

Nice
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:41 pm

Rode these this afternoon. Total investment $50 (blue)+$40 (black) -$15 (sold a basket off the blue one). The blue is an Electra cruiser and a lot better ride than the Black Mambo one. Will tidy up the black one and move it on and plan to make some mudguards for the blue one to improve the look.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed May 09, 2018 12:40 pm

When I picked up the cruisers above I got some Google on and discovered a whole world of cruisers and mods that are done. Keen to try a little building, as opposed to assembling, I joined up the Rat Rod Bikes forum. They have 'build offs' where people all over the world build 'Rat Rod' bikes which then get voted on by forum members. Not much in the way of prizes (a bare frame if you are in the US), just enjoyment of building bikes. Some of them are pretty wild - chopped, stretched, hacked. Some are more tame - just assembled and painted.

I joined up as I've always enjoyed the Rat Rod style of build and now have a cheap black Mambo cruiser suited for the task. I've also entered this years Build Off to give me a deadline to finish my project! Here's a link to the build threads: http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index. ... rnals.164/

Starting with:
it's a bit rusty on the surface, so needs some treatment:
With the idea of removing the front brake for clean lines, I got to cutting:
Last edited by bychosis on Wed May 09, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed May 09, 2018 12:48 pm

After I cut off the brake lugs, I decided to change the plan and create some triple clamp forks so I could increase the rake a bit on the front. Haven't got to building the forks yet, need to purchase some welding consumables.
Kinda like this:
Also decided that because the starting point was rusty and the paint needed to come off, I'd continue that theme. Removed the paint:
and once removed I dabbed on a bit of dilute acid/copper solution and over night the almost bare metal went to:

Once the 'paint' has cured I'll pinstripe a bit and clear coat it.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri May 18, 2018 12:57 pm

I need the steerer tube to make new forks. No turning back now.
A mock up of the forks to come. Yes, that is MDF and No, I wont be riding it in this condition :D The kids don't need a safety net around the trampoline so I got some tubing cheap.
Will also be pushing the seat back a bit. (welding still to come)
Scored some white-wall tyres by buying another cruiser, switching the wheels and reselling. $0 whitewalls. Looking something like this:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:39 am

Slow progress. But I've tacked all the parts together, but need to finish final welds. Threw it together to see if still looked OK.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:35 pm

Assembly completed, so I rode it to work. Couple more things to do.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:04 pm

How did it ride ?
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:19 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:How did it ride ?
It's a lot different to my other wheels. Seat is a bit low, steering was quite different to what I'm used to, guards rattled a bit. Not the sort of thing for a quick commute to work, but ok for cruising around I guess. Fun to build and test my construction/accessory skills though.

As I was taking a snap a bloke walked past and said 'that's an old one'. Nope, just modern junk with a treatment.

IsoSkywagens

Postby IsoSkywagens » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:38 pm

Loving the fleet, very envious! I just gotta ask though, would you ever consider parting with the skywagen?

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:10 pm

IsoSkywagens wrote:Loving the fleet, very envious! I just gotta ask though, would you ever consider parting with the skywagen?
Sent you a pm. It doesn’t hold any particular sentimental value to me.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:52 pm

So the skywagen is gone, and I sold the cyclops and my built cruiser too. Leaves room for other though.

And a massive cruiser with an electric assist I’ll need to upload a pic of.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BvV5HC9AIeK/

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:07 am

My fleet keeps changing as I restore, modify and move on bikes. This one however is staying.

The bike I received on my 10th birthday. Rebuilt using mostly original parts. New saddle and modern alloy wheels. New forks as the originals were a bit bent.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:14 pm

I had one like that! Nice resto. 8)