Crapola!!!....P.E.D's in Cycling

biker jk

Re: Crapola!!!....P.E.D's in Cycling

Postby biker jk » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:33 am

Two 20-year olds from the Katusha feeder team banned for a year for anti-doping violations. But we don't know what they did (great transparency huh?).

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/two-ite ... iolations/

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:45 pm

Manolo Saiz is back and running a cycling team. Why does a sport with credibility problems tolerate these guys returning / staying in the sport?

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:55 pm

1. They don't believe the sport has credibility problems.
2. They don't believe that there was an offence committed.
3. They believe people deserve a second or third chance.

It can't be 3. Or can it? Cycling has some of the loosest "rules" around.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:53 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:Manolo Saiz is back and running a cycling team. Why does a sport with credibility problems tolerate these guys returning / staying in the sport?
Can you keep Saiz out of cycling,but allow Riis to remain ? Cookson had some things to say on that recently
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:50 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:Manolo Saiz is back and running a cycling team. Why does a sport with credibility problems tolerate these guys returning / staying in the sport?
Can you keep Saiz out of cycling,but allow Riis to remain ? Cookson had some things to say on that recently
My take on that is that dopers not only rob clean riders of opportunity, but they also rob clean and ethical support staff, coaches and managers from opportunities.

Of course you can run the sport without these people. It's a disgraceful attitude to say we can't.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:25 pm

Sorry if it wasn't clear Alex, the issue isn't whether you can run the sport without the cheats, as you say, of course you can.

The issue is whether the UCI can prevent people from participating when they haven't been banned in accordance with the rules

herzog

Postby herzog » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:34 pm

So the UCI needs to put in an accreditation system for team officials.

Other sports have this for coaches and player agents.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:29 pm

The loss of dollars has diminished the quality of the back end quite a bit IMO over recent years. There have been an enormous number of motorcycle related accidents compared to previously, less well planned campaigns by dark horses, poor decision making in the peleton. Sure, bad things happen but my perception (flawed as it is) is that this has increased recently. I have the feeling that losing some of these unclean managers would make this situation worse.

I am ethically against the drug cheating, and support Alex's view - but I think there will be negative consequences in the racing.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:24 pm

I missed this at the time but we may be heading for a sharp fall in the number of asthmatics in the pro peloton in coming years. Recall Froome's use of an inhaler in June 2014 having never before mentioned he was asthmatic.

The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) is funding research at the University of Tasmania to improve the testing regime for a common asthma drug suspected of enhancing athletic performance.

Dr Glenn Jacobson from the University of Tasmania's School of Medicine has received a grant from WADA to see if the permitted levels are appropriate.

Dr Jacobson said there was increasing evidence that salbutamol, the most commonly used asthma relief medication, was a performance enhancer.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-21/a ... er/6961068

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:17 pm

Well they'd better come up with an alternative because if that is banned I can't compete in any MTBA sanctioned event. :evil:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:37 pm

trailgumby wrote:Well they'd better come up with an alternative because if that is banned I can't compete in any MTBA sanctioned event. :evil:
I doubt any alternative to Salbutamol wouldn't come with the same problems, by its very nature any bronchodilator will enhance performance in any non sufferer.

Methinks it's time to return the therapeutic use exemption and up the standards for asthmatic "accreditation".
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:14 am

trailgumby wrote:Well they'd better come up with an alternative because if that is banned I can't compete in any MTBA sanctioned event. :evil:
They don't need to ban it but need to reduce the allowed dosages from the current 16 puffs a day which is crazy.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:58 pm

Not sure if it belongs in this thread or deserves one of its own but check this out.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris-f ... -released/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I make no claims to any biology knowledge so can't comment on anything about this other than my conclusion that if Froome went from nobody to hero by dropping a few kgs, then I should probably put the donut I am eating down.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:13 pm

Calvin27 wrote:Not sure if it belongs in this thread or deserves one of its own but check this out.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris-f ... -released/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I make no claims to any biology knowledge so can't comment on anything about this other than my conclusion that if Froome went from nobody to hero by dropping a few kgs, then I should probably put the donut I am eating down.
Indeed, he must have lost all the weight over the few weeks between the Tour of Poland and Vuelta a Espana in 2011 when he transformed from a nobody to an alien. :lol:

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:36 pm

Calvin27 wrote:Not sure if it belongs in this thread or deserves one of its own but check this out.

Data seem about right to me, and tell us nothing wrt doping either way.

http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com.au/2015/ ... -hood.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:37 pm

Apparently a slim majority of cyclingnews readers think Pharmstrong's lifetime ban should be reduced.

Sorry guys I misunderstood the question - I agree with the lifetime ban, but I want it to be shorter. :wink:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:06 pm

find_bruce wrote:Apparently a slim majority of cyclingnews readers think Pharmstrong's lifetime ban should be reduced.

Sorry guys I misunderstood the question - I agree with the lifetime ban, but I want it to be shorter. :wink:
:lol: :twisted:

No problem with reduction in the sentence. Indeed, put a time limit on it.
2050 works for me...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:44 am

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:05 am

Swart's weight-loss hypothesis for Froome's performance gains rejected.

The take home summary of Swart’s GSK study is that it offers a failed hypothesis of a weight loss mechanism to explain the grand tour transformation and provides no significant evidence to decrease the prior probability of doping. Based on the presented data, it is an interesting uncontrolled observational study without much further implication.

http://veloclinic.tumblr.com/post/13487 ... k-thoughts

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:39 am

Anyone who thinks such physiological testing will ever answer the doping status question is kidding. It just tells us a bit about the performance of the engine, not whether it's tuning involve legit or prohibited methods.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:17 pm

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:22 am

There have been quite a few positives so far this year but this one was most interesting. Reda finished second to Nibali in last year's Italian National Championship.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/frances ... -positive/

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:46 am

caught reda handed

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:40 am

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:caught reda handed

"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:23 pm

The article on Reda is fascinating - it's his second ban, after the first ban was reduced because he gave evidence. Now... help me out here... he's still doping after being caught, and after flipping and giving evidence?!

Clearly pro cycling doesn't really understand that a lot of people hate dopers?! I appreciate many of them did it, it's a flawed culture, but wow.