Crapola!!!....P.E.D's in Cycling

RhapsodyX

Re: Crapola!!!....P.E.D's in Cycling

Postby RhapsodyX » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:56 am

biker jk wrote:It was Terbutaline. So either Yates has asthma (amazing that over half the pro peloton suffers from asthma) or he's pregnant.
I developed asthma after I started racing in my early 40's. It stopped when I stopped racing, but I triggered it again this week during a 4km TT test (participant in a research study) and has been niggling all week, and I had to use an inhaler for the first time in two years. Another friend of mine (slightly younger) who still races is now on a preventer after developing full-blown asthma in the last few years

I'm actually not surprised that many in the pro peleton suffer from exercise induced asthma.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:07 pm

"TUE's are Bull****"

CONCLUSION:

“High-dose inhaled terbutaline elicits a systemic response that enhances muscle strength and sprint performance. High-dose terbutaline should therefore continue to be restricted in competitive sport.”

So, this drug can be used to treat asthma or can be used to increase muscle strength. I guess it probably does both. Seems like it shouldn’t be used in competion at all, TUE or not.

My view is pretty simple. If you are healthy, race your bike. If you are sick and need banned medicine to compete, you shouldn’t be. Of course there are going to be a few exemptions to this simple statement, but if you are a professional athlete and you need an exemption for a banned substance to compete constantly, then you probably are in the wrong occupation. Get another job.

I feel badly for Simon if he is truly “innocent” here. But like I stated above, ultimately he is responsible for what is in his body.

I’ve had a hard time breathing recently. Maybe this stuff would help me out some. I think I’ll try it for a little while and if it works, then I’ll apply for a TUE. Think that is prudent?

http://bit.do/TUE-s

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon May 02, 2016 7:43 am

MichaelB wrote:Re lots of cyclists 'suffer' asthma does seem to be stretching the truth a tad .... :roll:
Interesting article on cyclingtips Why do so many elite cyclists have asthma?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon May 02, 2016 12:44 pm

find_bruce wrote:
MichaelB wrote:Re lots of cyclists 'suffer' asthma does seem to be stretching the truth a tad .... :roll:
Interesting article on cyclingtips Why do so many elite cyclists have asthma?
Not so unusual, I know someone who is extremely fit and only discovered the asthma thing after experiencing it after smashing himself for an hour or so. I couldn't believe it when he mentioned it. :shock:

Evidently, according to some controversial blogger, he shouldn't ride a bike anymore, because he is not fit to do so...
My view is pretty simple. If you are healthy, race your bike. If you are sick and need banned medicine to compete, you shouldn’t be. Of course there are going to be a few exemptions to this simple statement, but if you are a professional athlete and you need an exemption for a banned substance to compete constantly, then you probably are in the wrong occupation. Get another job.
Deliberately controversial to drum up opinions and traffic to his blog. But with the caveat "of course there are going to be a few exemptions". I'm sorry, but that's rubbish, those are weasel words when you want to make a controversial assertion and then be able to back out of it.

The TUE stuff isn't all black and white. And in any case, it's up to the athlete to be aware of what they are taking, strict liability remains with the athlete.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon May 02, 2016 1:59 pm

From the UCI's CIRC Report.

In one rider’s opinion, 90% of TUEs were used for performance-enhancing purposes.
Concern that a system of granting certificates for the therapeutic use of prohibited
substances under medical supervision could be used by athletes to take prohibited
substances when not medically justified, was apparently voiced in a report to a
symposium on doping control in 1979.124 It appears that this concern has materialised
and is a significant problem even today

Section on TUEs begins on page 60.

http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/Clea ... eutral.pdf

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Fri May 06, 2016 12:34 pm

2007 Giro winner Danilo Di Luca says everyone is doping, and he regrets nothing despite being banned for life:

ABC News

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri May 06, 2016 12:57 pm

Genuine remorse is rare - most only regret getting caught.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun May 08, 2016 10:20 am

Asthma drugs are performance enhancing.

It seems hard to believe that some of the world's top endurance athletes are also asthmatics. The conclusion must be that some endurance athletes are using ß-agonists as ergogenic aids, and when they are caught they produce evidence from their doctors to say they are asthmatic. Clenbuterol previously proved so popular because it worked and it was considered as a safe alternative to anabolic steroids. Similarly, salbutamol seems to have quite potent ergogenic qualities but not, apparently, when taken in an aerosol spray. To produce an ergogenic effect, ß-agonists need to be taken in a different manner, such as injection.

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/articles/scni9a7.htm

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sun May 08, 2016 12:49 pm

biker jk wrote:Asthma drugs are performance enhancing.

It seems hard to believe that some of the world's top endurance athletes are also asthmatics. The conclusion must be that some endurance athletes are using ß-agonists as ergogenic aids, and when they are caught they produce evidence from their doctors to say they are asthmatic. Clenbuterol previously proved so popular because it worked and it was considered as a safe alternative to anabolic steroids. Similarly, salbutamol seems to have quite potent ergogenic qualities but not, apparently, when taken in an aerosol spray. To produce an ergogenic effect, ß-agonists need to be taken in a different manner, such as injection.

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/articles/scni9a7.htm
One also needs to consider the fact that it's not just the drug in isolation, but how it is combined with other drugs to deliver an ergogenic effect.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:44 pm

The Operacion Puerto blood bags are not going to be destroyed after all. That's a surprise. Rumours are that the 211 blood bags belong to 36 athletes, 23 of which are cyclists.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/operaci ... thorities/

https://twitter.com/thijszonneveld/stat ... 7123880961

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:07 pm

biker jk wrote:The Operacion Puerto blood bags are not going to be destroyed after all. That's a surprise. Rumours are that the 211 blood bags belong to 36 athletes, 23 of which are cyclists.
Pity it is entirely too late to do anything about it

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:35 pm

find_bruce wrote:
biker jk wrote:The Operacion Puerto blood bags are not going to be destroyed after all. That's a surprise. Rumours are that the 211 blood bags belong to 36 athletes, 23 of which are cyclists.
Pity it is entirely too late to do anything about it
True, name and shame is all that remains.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:15 am

There would still be some people sweating a bit ...

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:31 pm

MichaelB wrote:There would still be some people sweating a bit ...
Given that there are already lists of people alleged to be Fuentes clients, I doubt they are sweating too much.

Instead I expect that they are consulting their PR flack to trot out some line about how it was all so long ago, just that one time, that the blood was taken but they never were transfused, the dog ate their homework etc before slinking off to enjoy their riches like so many before them.

Only current riders can see listed as suspects are Contador, Frank Schleck & Reuben Plaza

richbee

Postby richbee » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:11 am

So the IOC refuses to ban Russia outright, but won't accept any Russian athletes who've previously served a doping suspension.
So other countries can still field athletes who've served doping suspensions. Double standards?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:42 am

richbee wrote:So the IOC refuses to ban Russia outright, but won't accept any Russian athletes who've previously served a doping suspension.
So other countries can still field athletes who've served doping suspensions. Double standards?
Apparently Zakarin will try to compete as an independent athlete.

I agree it's a double standard especially since the UK chose David Millar for the road race team at the 2012 London Olympics.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:26 pm

richbee wrote:So the IOC refuses to ban Russia outright, but won't accept any Russian athletes who've previously served a doping suspension.
biker jk wrote:Apparently Zakarin will try to compete as an independent athlete.

I agree it's a double standard especially since the UK chose David Millar for the road race team at the 2012 London Olympics.
David Millar was selected because the British Olympic Association's lifetime ban on athletes who had previously served a doping ban was rejected by WADA and considered in the Court of Arbitration for Sport which held that the non-selection of athletes who had previously served a sanction for doping was itself a doping sanction and was not in compliance with the WADA Code.

I expect that at least some Russian athletes will challenge the ban & given the two previous CAS decisions on the matter, the CAS will probably overturn the ban.

richbee

Postby richbee » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:38 pm

Where the double standards lie are that one federation is banned from selecting previously suspended athletes, while all others have no such prohibition.

List of previously suspended athletes from other countries that have been selected by their national committees anyone?
I'll start with Justin Gatlin (yes, he who is currently questioning Usain Bolt's selection)

(Edited since Find Bruce beat me to it on the WADA/CAS ruling)

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:44 am

Team Sky reveal their preferred blood doping method...

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:16 pm

I wonder if Armistead would have got off if she were Russian?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/armitst ... ng-appeal/

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:53 am

Article by The Guardian on Armistead. Worth a read. LA didn't challenge the first and second whereabouts violation until after the third. LA had her phone on silent during her agreed hour window of availability for testing. Seems legitimate to me. :roll:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/ ... _clipboard

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:51 pm

Depressing reading.

On Eve of Olympics, Top Investigator Details Secret Efforts to Undermine Russian Doping Probe

In an exclusive interview, the former chief investigator of the World Anti-Doping Agency said his efforts to investigate state-sponsored doping in Russia were repeatedly thwarted by WADA’s own president.

https://www.propublica.org/article/olym ... ium=social

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:08 am

Lance Armstrong calling out Cancellara as a doper. Classicomo Luigi was the nickname on a Puerto bloodbag rumoured to belong to Cancellara although other cyclists have been suggested as owning the blood bag.

@TrekSegafredo Luigi!!

https://twitter.com/lancearmstrong/stat ... 4400550912

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:34 am

"everyone else was doing it" has long been the mantra of the drug cheat trying to excuse his or her own behaviour. I would want evidence from someone with a little more credibility than pharmstrong before I accused anyone of doping. Still they have the puerto blood bags now, far too late of course, how much longer until they DNA match the blood ?

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:26 pm

biker jk wrote:Lance Armstrong calling out Cancellara as a doper. Classicomo Luigi was the nickname on a Puerto bloodbag rumoured to belong to Cancellara although other cyclists have been suggested as owning the blood bag.

@TrekSegafredo Luigi!!

https://twitter.com/lancearmstrong/stat ... 4400550912
Pretty sure Luigi was Dekker:
http://www.volkskrant.nl/sport/thomas-d ... ~a3381753/