Olympics

find_bruce

Olympics

Postby find_bruce » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:07 am

Nice ride by Greg Van Avermaet. With the Tirreno–Adriatico and Tour de France, he has had a great year.

Shame about Porte
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

foo on patrol

Re: Olympics

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:02 pm

Porte can't take a bloody trick, lately! :(

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:37 pm

I put the 7 app on my ipad, searched and found the mens road race. Then it told me it was premium content and I needed either to subscribe ($) or be a telstra customer

:(

Give me SBS anytime
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:58 pm

Well SBS will never be able to afford the olympics so we're stuck with commercial FTA. My computer froze and would not load anything presumably the demand was too great. And to add insult to injury I taped the race on 7 only to find they switched to 7 mate for the last finishing harder circuits so missed the most exciting parts!! :evil: So does anyone know where I can find of the 4 channels that 7 are using to broadcast from Rio, which one(s) will show the track and the mtb races?

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:19 pm

Did anyone see footage of the accident involving Nibali? Was trying to work out what happened but can't find it anywhere.

Sure was a tough race.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:46 pm

Uncle Just wrote:.....And to add insult to injury I taped the race on 7 only to find they switched to 7 mate for the last finishing harder circuits so missed the most exciting parts!! :evil: .....
Reckon it's deliberate to make people pay.

Drives me nuts, so don't bother in the end

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:00 pm

^Spot on. Just read the comments on CT and the very curt response to someone in the same boat as me was to be told to simply pay for the app.

LG

Postby LG » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:32 pm

If GVA could win, do you think Sagan is regretting not riding?
LG = Low Gear

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:54 pm

Uncle Just wrote:^Spot on. Just read the comments on CT and the very curt response to someone in the same boat as me was to be told to simply pay for the app.
Just read the comments. Say What ?

I mean, how hard is it to put out a schedule to let those knwo who don't want to pay through the nose for 'an app', even if it is just for one event. I tried watching a bit the other night, and it kept chopping and chnaging from event to event. I gave up.

Yes, I'm fussy, but it ain't that hard.

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:05 pm

http://cyclingtips.com/2016/08/belgiums ... road-race/

See the comments. So for the track and mtb unless you want to stay up all night and watch you have no way of knowing if it will change channels because some other sport is considered more worthy. I can record two channels simultaneously but I may guess wrong as I did with the MRR. I've looked everywhere on the net for a video of the last 50-70 kms but they are either geo blocked or the IOC absolutely prevent replays. It was by all accounts the race of the year too.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:43 pm

Here's the finish of the Men's Road Race. Phil Liggett gets it wrong again.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:53 pm

Been watching what was recorded the other night. The Men's RR is there, but there are some long interruptions for other naff sports.

The Iraqi crash at 115.3km was almost nasty.

Going to try and watch last bit when I can even though I know the result

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:05 pm

LG wrote:If GVA could win, do you think Sagan is regretting not riding?
He is riding, in the MTB, where he stands quite a good chance.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:07 pm

Women's RR was a "quality" affair as well. Attrition due to cracking is one thing, but this level of carnage is not fun for anyone.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:24 pm

The accident that Dutch rider had on the downhill was horrendous. Sounds like she will be ok but looks like a fair bit of recovery. I think those saying the course was too dangerous were right, they needed more protection from concrete gutters and the like.

DS

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:01 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Women's RR was a "quality" affair as well. Attrition due to cracking is one thing, but this level of carnage is not fun for anyone.
Smaller teams and no race radios are needed in the world tour as well.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:17 pm

Melissa Hoskins crashed in training (4 of 5 of the pursuit riders crashed) but has thankfully been cleared in hospital and left in crutches without any broken bones. Hope the team has a good recovery and can stay in form for the racing.

Cycling is in my BNA

cp123

Postby cp123 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:44 pm

There’s a new video round the interwebs taken by a spectator and it is truly sickening. Not so much the stack, or the landing, but that she hits the gutter like a sack of spuds and DOES NOT MOVE. The dude with the camera wanders over to check on her but gets roused on. None of about 10 lead motorbikes stop (guess they didn’t have a front medical car) and then other spectators start waving the bunch now coming through to slow down. Meanwhile camera dude is still going and girl is still lying there out cold. Finally probably close to 90 seconds, or 2 mins longer a crash crew stop for her. In hindsight though, lying there when you’ve got 4 broken vertebrae is probably the best thing. Just appeared to be totally shocking that none of the organisers appeared to be any use…
be warned…
https://www.facebook.com/13184134356810 ... 884917044/

and the poor French gymnast with the dangling leg – his ambulance officers dropped him as they were loading him and he fell again. Guess that wouldn’t have tickled…

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:45 pm

biker jk wrote:Here's the finish of the Men's Road Race. Phil Liggett gets it wrong again.

So we get 45 seconds on youtube and other sports get 4 - 6 minutes
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:13 pm

cp123 wrote:There’s a new video round the interwebs taken by a spectator and it is truly sickening. Not so much the stack, or the landing, but that she hits the gutter like a sack of spuds and DOES NOT MOVE. The dude with the camera wanders over to check on her but gets roused on. None of about 10 lead motorbikes stop (guess they didn’t have a front medical car) and then other spectators start waving the bunch now coming through to slow down. Meanwhile camera dude is still going and girl is still lying there out cold. Finally probably close to 90 seconds, or 2 mins longer a crash crew stop for her. In hindsight though, lying there when you’ve got 4 broken vertebrae is probably the best thing. Just appeared to be totally shocking that none of the organisers appeared to be any use…
be warned…
https://www.facebook.com/13184134356810 ... 884917044/

and the poor French gymnast with the dangling leg – his ambulance officers dropped him as they were loading him and he fell again. Guess that wouldn’t have tickled…
I was amazed at the number of motor vehicles before a cyclist turns up and then, even with all these vehicles, it takes ages for any help to come. Not good enough.

DS

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:10 pm

Channel seven have the right to put this on youtube - good for them... but at least manage the sharing settings so that sharing is disabled.

With the Annemiek crash - it was a shame that no reassurance could be provided. Sure - don't move the rider - but having an official being there until the medics arrive makes sense.
Cycling is in my BNA

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:12 am

Enjoyed seeing the Men's Time Trial with the first starter, Dan Craven of Namibia riding a regular road bike.

Nice work Rohan Dennis... in 5th - among the worlds best this is pretty impressive.
Cycling is in my BNA

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:08 am

cp123 wrote:Finally probably close to 90 seconds, or 2 mins longer a crash crew stop for her. In hindsight though, lying there when you’ve got 4 broken vertebrae is probably the best thing. Just appeared to be totally shocking that none of the organisers appeared to be any use……
Totally not!!!!

Not having a go at you, as you are saying what most people believe....and this is why I wish basic first aid was taught in schools!
Many think if someone has a possible spinal injury, they shouldn't be moved or interfered with by first aiders. NOT TRUE!
Think it through.
what's going to kill you first? paralysed legs or not breathing?

even if the spinal cord risks being damaged at the neck with first aid, if the patient is not breathing, they are going to die or suffer severe brain and other organ damage. so you always take that risk to prioritize the following chart.

if you suspect spinal trauma, when moving to ensure an open airway, do it with support of the head, neck and spine (preferably by 1 or 2 helpers). The idea is to prevent any increase into awkward rotation or side bending or extreme forward or rearward tilting of any part of the spine. Though the head may have to be tilted back slightly to get the airway clear.

A first aider should have been with that girl immediately, protecting her from riders and vehicles, checking her response and breathing, and pulse.....and anyone who abused them should have been told to come and help, or frig off. it's very common to have onlookers freak out and abuse those trying to give first aid. they are doing it out of ignorance and fear.

As for not intefering or beginning DRSABCD until the medics arrived, wrong again. What if they don't arrive for 3, 4, 5 minutes? How does a first aider standing nearby know when medics are going to arrive. It is critical DRSABCD start without delay. Severe brain damage or death can occur within 5 minutes of cardiac arrest.

BTW, congrats to Fabian!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:01 am

CKinnard wrote: ....
A first aider should have been with that girl immediately, protecting her from riders and vehicles, checking her response and breathing, and pulse.....and anyone who abused them should have been told to come and help, or frig off. it's very common to have onlookers freak out and abuse those trying to give first aid. they are doing it out of ignorance and fear.

I agree here. After the mens race, there should have been immediate action to put on more 1st aid peeps given the number and intensity of the crashes seen already.

It was crazy to see that several race vehicles went past and none stopped or appeared to slow.

Really glad that she is somehow OK (as well as the rest of the accident victims).

On a different note, the jerseys/team outfits of some teams need new designers. Most of them are really bad, with the Aussie one terrible. The 'green' they chose was 'orrible ... :shock: :roll:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:49 am

MichaelB wrote:On a different note, the jerseys/team outfits of some teams need new designers. Most of them are really bad, with the Aussie one terrible. The 'green' they chose was 'orrible ... :shock: :roll:
I like the Danish jersey

In the velodrome, team GB are smashing it. Aussie mens team sprint wasn't quite up to it & both pursuit teams were off the pace & will have to significantly lift their performance if they want to challenge.
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower