2018 TdF route

MichaelB

Re: 2018 TdF route

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:46 am

fat and old wrote:So with what? 5 stages to ride; in France; Brailsford plays the culture card? :lol: yeah, that’s the way to calm things down. What a moron. Lucky the Yates boys are Aussies or they’d cop it too
Oh, it's nothing to do with the dodgy stuff that we've done in the past few years, or bad rider behaviour , and actually, it's nothing I've done, it must just be because we are successful ....

:roll:

He's more deluded than Wiggins ..... :roll:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:48 am

MichaelB wrote:He's more deluded than Wiggins ..... :roll:
Nah, he's just imitating Trump

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:36 am

Damn, Gilbert was lucky !! :o :shock:

Going by the pics on CN, he fell a fair way and onto rocks at that. And whilst he's out with a fractured patella, he better buy some lottery tickets.

Sad for Adam Yates, but maybe again tomorrow. Great that the Yates boys have resigned with MS :D

Unless something happens tonight, its down to the ITT :(

I didn't watch the rest of the stage after the Col de Mente ascent, as it was the usual thing that no GC threat in the break, some goodish racing in the break, but the peloton rides tempo behind Sky. BORING.

Can only hope tonight's stage is a cracker .... :roll:

I'm not hoping for too much, lest I be disappointed again .... :(

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:59 am

MichaelB wrote: Unless something happens tonight, its down to the ITT :(
I don't think much will happen tonight, too short for Froome & TD to do anything really.
I think Friday is the big hope, long range attack up the Tourmalet?
But I could be dreaming I suppose. 8)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:28 am

Interesting take on the next step for Froome

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/07/chris-f ... ould-pull/

Doubt he'll do it though or what DB would think ....

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:23 am

Missed it last night. Some interesting things reported by cycling news
With 190km still to race, the stage came to a sudden halt after local farmers tried to interrupt the race. The peloton slowed as straw bales narrowed the road, and then they stopped when a number of riders needed medical treatment after inhaling the tear gas police used to control the farmers.

Race Director Christian Prudhomme was forced to stop the peloton for 15 minutes as order was restored, and riders, including Team Sky's Thomas and Froome, washed their eyes. UCI president David Lappartient was in Prudhomme's car, but the protest was about local farmer's rights rather than anything said by Team Sky manager David Brailsford or the dislike of Team Sky's dominance.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:08 pm

As a final act of desperation, I'm going to watch the whole stage.

Some stats :

65 km long
3 climbs - 13.7km (AT) 6.9% (1,002m ascent), 7.4km (AT) 8.3% (616m ascent), and finally 16km (AT) 8.7% (1,390m ascent)
37.1km of climbing (on those 3 passes) with 3,008m total ascent
57% of the stage is climbing
Starting grid format for Top 20, and then waves after that
Time cut of 25%
How many sprinters will miss out ?

Great Preview of St 17 from Inner Ring with detailed pics/stats of each climb

Love this little snippet ...

Movistar hold a key to this stage but so far their Trident has all the incision of plastic cutlery accompanying a meal during an economy flight. Nairo Quintana looks more stale than a baguette that’s been left on the back shelf of a car for three days and Alejandro Valverde’s lost his lustre too.

Here's hoping it's not a damp squib of a stage ....

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:46 pm

MichaelB wrote:As a final act of desperation, I'm going to watch the whole stage.
Ditto: does anyone have the kick off time? Is SBS catching the lot?

Also missed the "offs" last night. Philippe Gilbert (fortunately unhurt - see below) and Adam Yates!

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:55 pm

I'm expect I'm going to be sadly disappointed but I will watch tonight, in the hope that we see this:
Caley Fretz wrote: But that’s not why Froome should pull. Froome should pull because pulling is deference. Pulling is humility. Not empty words, but humble action. All of Sky’s controversies, all of its stupid and duplicitous and downright insulting reactions to those controversies, can be traced back to a lack of humility.

When the race splits up on Wednesday and it’s just the two of them against the world, Froome should put his head down and do the work. Pull for the yellow jersey. Honor it. Honor his friend, since he says they’re friends; prove that his desire for a team victory is not empty. Learn from Poulidor. Be humble. Come in second.
From cycling tips Froome should pull. There's a hashtag in that :D

(Mods - I've posted almost the same thing in the PEDS thread, if against the rules please delete that one)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:18 pm

MichaelB wrote:As a final act of desperation, I'm going to watch the whole stage.

Some stats :

65 km long
3 climbs - 13.7km (AT) 6.9% (1,002m ascent), 7.4km (AT) 8.3% (616m ascent), and finally 16km (AT) 8.7% (1,390m ascent)
37.1km of climbing (on those 3 passes) with 3,008m total ascent
57% of the stage is climbing
Starting grid format for Top 20, and then waves after that
Time cut of 25%
How many sprinters will miss out ?

Great Preview of St 17 from Inner Ring with detailed pics/stats of each climb

Love this little snippet ...

Movistar hold a key to this stage but so far their Trident has all the incision of plastic cutlery accompanying a meal during an economy flight. Nairo Quintana looks more stale than a baguette that’s been left on the back shelf of a car for three days and Alejandro Valverde’s lost his lustre too.

Here's hoping it's not a damp squib of a stage ....
16km at 8.7% - ouch. I know what 17km at 7% is like, done that. Done a day with a 13.3km at 9% and then two 8.2 km at 8%. And the way that lot will do those climbs. :shock:

Fingers crossed we will see the whole stage and not have too many interruptions for chatting, cooking, etc.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:28 am

Nice stage. Finally my team does something. Bit of chaos for Sky too.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:36 am

Cracker of a stage, and got some of what I was after :) .

Didn't know about Sagan's crash till this morning :shock:
Great rides by Kangert (pity, but ballsy effort), Nairo & Dan M. And special mention to Roglic & Stefan (can't remember how to spell his last name !)
GT is looking bloody good, and if he wins, I'll pay that. As long as CF isn't on the podium.

Speaking of the podium - what are the chances that Roglic can get on there ? Reckon it'll be all hands on deck for the Dutchies tonight (regardless of their team)

And a bit of after stage action as well (CF & the Gendarme getting over zealous), and some more absolute plonker fans trying to grab riders :evil:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:16 pm

MichaelB wrote:Cracker of a stage, and got some of what I was after :) .

Great rides by Kangert (pity, but ballsy effort), Nairo & Dan M. And special mention to Roglic & Stefan (can't remember how to spell his last name !)
GT is looking bloody good, and if he wins, I'll pay that. As long as CF isn't on the podium.

Speaking of the podium - what are the chances that Roglic can get on there ? Reckon it'll be all hands on deck for the Dutchies tonight (regardless of their team)

And a bit of after stage action as well (CF & the Gendarme getting over zealous), and some more absolute plonker fans trying to grab riders :evil:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-26/c ... e/10037280

Well it was Froome who was tackled by Police, so I suspect there will be jubilation and celebrations all-round. I don't know how they can mistake him for a fan, he's pretty easy to recognise. He's on a bike with a TdF race number on it, in Team Sky branded gear, looks like Chris Froome. Ummm.... :roll: From the photos, it looks like another rider went down too (the other bike on the ground).

I was too tired to watch the stage, already went to sleep before the broadcast started.

djw47

Postby djw47 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:45 pm

MichaelB wrote: Sad for Adam Yates, but maybe again tomorrow. Great that the Yates boys have resigned with MS :D
"Re-signed with MS" not "resigned with MS". One means they are riding for the Aussie team next year, the other means they have had to give up cycling due to a degenerative disease. I genuinely had to go and check the news to confirm. :D

djw47

Postby djw47 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:55 pm

The commentators mentioned the Sagan crash a lot during the final descent but there didn't seem to be any footage. He looked pretty cut up at the finish, be interesting to see if there's any longer term damage over the next couple of days.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:15 pm

g-boaf wrote:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-26/c ... e/10037280

Well it was Froome who was tackled by Police, so I suspect there will be jubilation and celebrations all-round. I don't know how they can mistake him for a fan, he's pretty easy to recognise. He's on a bike with a TdF race number on it, in Team Sky branded gear, looks like Chris Froome. Ummm.... :roll: From the photos, it looks like another rider went down too (the other bike on the ground).

I was too tired to watch the stage, already went to sleep before the broadcast started.
I suspect the other rider is Froome's body guard (he was riding with regular shoes, flat pedals and no helmet). As such, it was likely an honest mistake by the Gendarme who saw the body guard riding near Froome and tried to stop him thinking he was just a civilian rolling down the hill ( generally only the pros are allowed to ride down at that point and civilians have to walk their bikes). Froome was wearing a grey race cape.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:44 pm

djw47 wrote:
MichaelB wrote: Sad for Adam Yates, but maybe again tomorrow. Great that the Yates boys have resigned with MS :D
"Re-signed with MS" not "resigned with MS". One means they are riding for the Aussie team next year, the other means they have had to give up cycling due to a degenerative disease. I genuinely had to go and check the news to confirm. :D
I'm glad I'm not your sechrateary then ...

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:46 pm

djw47 wrote: The commentators mentioned the Sagan crash a lot during the final descent but there didn't seem to be any footage. He looked pretty cut up at the finish, be interesting to see if there's any longer term damage over the next couple of days.
:| I didn't hear anything, mind you, was having some micro sleeps of a few hundred metres towards the end :o

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:41 pm

So will Froomay pull for Geeeeeeeeeee in two days or try to get close enough to have a chance with a good TT? Alternate world: will Geeeeeeeee smash the world TT champion out of the park? Will Bernal show a true Sky talent and get a top 3 finish? Will Wout Poels win the overall in 2022 after paying his domestique dues? Will Sky decide that the world is not enough and set Moscon up for the Green next year while Geeeeeee scores his 2nd podium? The possibilities......

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:07 pm

fat and old wrote:So will Froomay pull for Geeeeeeeeeee in two days or try to get close enough to have a chance with a good TT? Alternate world: will Geeeeeeeee smash the world TT champion out of the park? Will Bernal show a true Sky talent and get a top 3 finish? Will Wout Poels win the overall in 2022 after paying his domestique dues? Will Sky decide that the world is not enough and set Moscon up for the Green next year while Geeeeeee scores his 2nd podium? The possibilities......
I understand Sky have ruled out setting Moscon for the welterweight title belt

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:44 pm

And I’m seeing Greipel backtracking on his calling out Demare for holding onto a car. Again. :lol:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:08 am

Stage 17 analysis:

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/tour ... -analysis/

Average power 270w, NP 300w, peak 20min 352w. Rider is 59kg.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:41 am

And the dirty, car holding cheating POS wins. :(

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:43 am

fat and old wrote:And the dirty, car holding cheating POS wins. :(
But Greipel apologised for making the accusation. :lol:

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:24 am

I'm surprised that Sagan rode so badly near the end of last night's stage.

The pace was high, with everyone jockeying for position in the leadup to the sprint. With about 2km to go, Sagan moved up to about 5th or 6th wheel. He had 2 Bora riders on the front, then 2 or 3 riders from other teams and then him.

By the time it got to 1km to go, he was in about 20th spot and never managed to get into a good position for the sprint. We didn't see exactly what happened to shuffle him backwards, but it was very un-Sagan like.