2018 TdF route

g-boaf

Re: 2018 TdF route

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:15 am

Cyclophiliac wrote:As usual, news coverage of one of the toughest and highest-profile sports events in the world is very limited in Australia.
The Guardian has a few articles over the last few weeks, Melbourne's 2 main news sites The Age and The Herald Sun have nothing (or at least I couldn't find anything). Only news.com.au seems to have a cycling section with various TdF related articles in it.
We all just use our own sources. Cycling is only news if our Australian guy looks like winning the event outright. And if he doesn't, he'll be destroyed by the media and the average punter will question why they wasted so much time and effort to support that athlete or sport.

And you all know that's exactly the way it is. Our radio shock jocks are a super example of this. The average punter is the same way too.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:17 am

I think most people here think he is guilty of breaking the rules which relate to his intake of Salbutamol as inferred by an "adverse" (not guilty or positive) urine sample. Everyone knows that the urine samples are not a reliable way to test intake, and therefore we have the adverse finding scenario. Consider for a moment that he did do the right thing in terms of intake and there is some plausible reason he is later able to prove for his urine sample. What do you think he should do?

* Take one for the team and not compete despite being in the right whilst being favourite to win in the prime of his career and possibly break records?
* Assume the truth will eventually come out and weather the storm until it does whilst continuing for personal career goals?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:23 am

fat and old wrote:Astana, in 2008 as Biker points out. What he missed is that Astana won the right to compete in CAS but withdrew as 5 or 6 of their blokes were facing doping charges :lol: Virenque's team TVM as well over drugs, I think late 90's?
The successful CAS appeal by Astana was in 2006. There was no such appeal in 2008 so Contador was excluded.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:31 am

biker jk wrote:
fat and old wrote:Astana, in 2008 as Biker points out. What he missed is that Astana won the right to compete in CAS but withdrew as 5 or 6 of their blokes were facing doping charges :lol: Virenque's team TVM as well over drugs, I think late 90's?
The successful CAS appeal by Astana was in 2006. There was no such appeal in 2008 so Contador was excluded.
I stand corrected. :)

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:33 am

vosadrian wrote:I think most people here think he is guilty of breaking the rules which relate to his intake of Salbutamol as inferred by an "adverse" (not guilty or positive) urine sample. Everyone knows that the urine samples are not a reliable way to test intake, and therefore we have the adverse finding scenario. Consider for a moment that he did do the right thing in terms of intake and there is some plausible reason he is later able to prove for his urine sample. What do you think he should do?

* Take one for the team and not compete despite being in the right whilst being favourite to win in the prime of his career and possibly break records?
* Assume the truth will eventually come out and weather the storm until it does whilst continuing for personal career goals?

Because even if he's cleared, it won't be enough for most. There will be the conspiracy theorists, the "shouldn't race while under a cloud"'s, the I just hate Sky/Froomays....

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:51 pm

vosadrian wrote:I think most people here think he is guilty of breaking the rules which relate to his intake of Salbutamol as inferred by an "adverse" (not guilty or positive) urine sample. Everyone knows that the urine samples are not a reliable way to test intake, and therefore we have the adverse finding scenario. Consider for a moment that he did do the right thing in terms of intake and there is some plausible reason he is later able to prove for his urine sample. What do you think he should do?

SKY have dragged the chain on this (deliberately in my view so that Froome can keep racing in the face of a ban). If, as Alex has suggested previously, the athlete could not compete again until they proved why they had an adverse finding then this would have been dealt with by SKY in a much more expedient fashion.
Froome and SKY have alluded to the public not having a full understanding of what has happened and said that they have information which will make us all understand and see it his way but here we are 9 months later and they have released nothing????
SKY and Froome have brought this on themselves, zero sympathy and well done to the ASO, maybe their actions will help bring a quicker end to the ongoing saga.

And please no "innocent until proven guilty" arguments, Froome has to prove why he had twice the accepted levels of Salbutamol in his system.
FPR Ragamuffin

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:09 pm

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:38 am

In other exciting news, Boohani got left behind. Again

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/nacer-b ... ance-team/

Might be time to start that post cycling boxing career for old Nacer :lol:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:49 pm

fat and old wrote:In other exciting news, Boohani got left behind. Again

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/nacer-b ... ance-team/

Might be time to start that post cycling boxing career for old Nacer :lol:
Maybe new team next season .......

And probably a pay cut too !!

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:28 pm

Who would take him? I'd doubt a WT team and all of the Frenchie Pro-Conti teams have a sprinter. Maybe Team Wiggans? :lol:

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:19 pm

Chuck wrote:

SKY have dragged the chain on this (deliberately in my view so that Froome can keep racing in the face of a ban). If, as Alex has suggested previously, the athlete could not compete again until they proved why they had an adverse finding then this would have been dealt with by SKY in a much more expedient fashion.
Froome and SKY have alluded to the public not having a full understanding of what has happened and said that they have information which will make us all understand and see it his way but here we are 9 months later and they have released nothing????
SKY and Froome have brought this on themselves, zero sympathy and well done to the ASO, maybe their actions will help bring a quicker end to the ongoing saga.

And please no "innocent until proven guilty" arguments, Froome has to prove why he had twice the accepted levels of Salbutamol in his system.
A bunch of ifs and buts and opinions. I agree that the rules should be different.... but they are not. No point holding him to what we think the rules should be. Without knowing what the secret information is, we can't know whether he may be innocent. Froome says there is information that will help people understand why he is doing what he is doing, and he thinks he has done no wrong. Time will tell, but he will look like an idiot if he can't give something reasonable. I can't see what this could possibly be, and I find it hard to believe he could have this information, but I can think of some extremely unlikely scenarios that would achieve this.

If I thought I had done nothing wrong, and I thought I could defend this position successfully, I would race like he is. Any negative sentiment that is resulting from him racing is the doing of the people that broke confidentiality (say what you like about a need for transparency.... the fact is the rules entitle him to confidentiality and someone broke that rule). Assuming he was able to defend his position successfully if this had been confidential, he would have raced and we would have been none the wiser. Someone broke confidentiality, and now everyone expects Froome/Sky to fix the bad sentiment that resulted from someone else breaking the rules.

EDIT - Just saw the cat is out of the bag and the secret has been released and the defence successful. Looks like Froome's confidence was justified.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:46 pm

Ok, enough of the crap, let’s just concentrate on the other aspects of the race.

Any update re the finish in Laruns?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:17 am

Maybe the ASO should univite WADA and the UCI until they can get themself together.
Cycling is in my BNA

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:09 pm

Having a look at the press conferences, I find myself repelled by Sky's buddy caps. At least when they were with rapha they had decent casquettes most times.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:04 pm

MichaelB wrote:Ok, enough of the crap, let’s just concentrate on the other aspects of the race.

Any update re the finish in Laruns?
After a bit of searching I found these 2 French articles, the gist of which is they have started the work and expect it to take 4 to 5 weeks at a cost of 700,000 Euro. It should be finished in time.

The Tour de France will pass well by Gourette in the Pyrénées-Atlantiques from June 22nd

On the road to the Tour de France, start of emergency work in Gourette (Béarn) from June 26th - with pictures of the work being undertaken.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:41 am

Cheers Sharkey, looks like they may just do it in time !!

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:50 am

MichaelB wrote:Cheers Sharkey, looks like they may just do it in time !!
I should be riding the Col d'Aubisque on July 16th. I'll try to check out how they are progressing.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:58 pm

Watching the teams presentation and the way Sky were booed and jeered (Froomay caught the brunt) I felt bad for Bernal. 21 y.o. Kid, biggest ride of his career and job or not it must be special....yet here he is copping shiz over this. All this talk of how we the fans get short shrift blah blah blah.....none of us has skin in the game. This young bloke does, and it don’t seem fair to me.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:19 pm

What a stage.

Whilst Nibs gained, Bardet would have to be the biggest winner, as it erases a minute defect that will come in the TTT.

Froome was lucky, and whilst it’s not a great way for them to start, it makes the hills even more interesting.

Well done to Gaviria !!!

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:50 am

2nd sprint stage, and Cavendish is behind the GC boys. I think he's in the twilight of his career, and Merckx' record is safe.

Although, according to him "there's obviously next year". Wishful thinking Mark. Bow out while you're still a legend.

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:29 am

interesting to see Sylvain Chavanel using the oversized pulleys on his Willier.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:27 pm

Oh yeah....my “who deserves a finish”. Lawson Craddock. Hope he makes it through.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:47 pm

Interesting results from the TTT. Makes some of the next few days even more important !!

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:02 pm

mmmmm.....will Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee become the man now? Will TJVG usurp Richie? Can Nibali get some time back? Will Valverde work for Landa or Quintana? Can Doumalin TT the rest of the race? Most important...will Craddock make Paris????

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:04 pm

fat and old wrote:mmmmm.....will Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee become the man now? Will TJVG usurp Richie? Can Nibali get some time back? Will Valverde work for Landa or Quintana? Can Doumalin TT the rest of the race? Most important...will Craddock make Paris????
Hope not.
Not likely.
Surely, but enough ?
More unlikely, but it has been known.
I’d like to see that.
I hope so, but if he makes it past today, some of the hilly stages will make it really hard.