2018 Classics - what's being shown on SBS ?

fat and old

Re: 2018 Classics - what's being shown on SBS ?

Postby fat and old » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:47 am

I like Sagan. I like his style of riding, he's nonchalance in interviews. I was agnostic on his ass grab and cheap papal visit. But I'm getting mighty tired of his goggles around the neck whenever there's a podium around.

I guess you can do that when you're the best. :lol:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:13 am

RonK wrote:Did Sagan tell Boonen where to stick his advice in the post race interview? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Why would he, when Sagan had done exactly what Boonen had suggested, used his own team to keep him fresh & protected, attacked when he thought the time was right, didn't look to anyone for support & let his legs do the talking. It looked like Sagan learnt from Flanders & attacked when there were enough contenders still in the bunch that they hesitated & didn't work together to chase him.
MichaelB wrote:EDIT : Just read that he passed away :( Sad news indeed.

Updates on Trentin ?
Awful news re Goolaerts, just 23.

Last I heard on Trentin he had a fracture in his thoracic spine (ie where your ribs connect) but Mitchelton-Scott are describing it as could have been worse.
MichaelB wrote:Will have to wait another year for a wet Roubaix :?
You sadist :D

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:26 am

find_bruce wrote:
RonK wrote:Did Sagan tell Boonen where to stick his advice in the post race interview? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Why would he, when Sagan had done exactly what Boonen had suggested, used his own team to keep him fresh & protected, attacked when he thought the time was right, didn't look to anyone for support & let his legs do the talking. It looked like Sagan learnt from Flanders & attacked when there were enough contenders still in the bunch that they hesitated & didn't work together to chase him.
After winning the worlds twice, I think Sagan already knew that, and did not need gratuitous advice from Boonen.

But he let his legs do the talking and achieved something that Boonen never did - win Paris - Roubaix in the rainbow jersey.

No doubt there are riders at Quickstep who wish Boonen had kept his mouth shut - eh Terpstra?
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:54 am

Was Goolaerts the one that just appeared to spear left out of the peleton for no apparent reason & faceplanted over the bars into a ditch? The camera showed him land but then nothing after that, I recall at the time thinking that the rider was out before he hit the ground, no arms out to break a fall or anything. Very sad.

edit: Just found amateur footage of the crash. Nope, not the one I was thinking of.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:02 am

RonK wrote:
But he let his legs do the talking and achieved something that Boonen never did - win Paris - Roubaix in the rainbow jersey.

No doubt there are riders at Quickstep who wish Boonen had kept his mouth shut - eh Terpstra?
I don't think Boonen will be losing any sleep over it as he looks at the 4 cobble trophies he has and Terpstra was pretty adamant that the best guy on the day won.
FPR Ragamuffin

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:30 pm

MichaelB wrote:I'm ashamed to say it, I didn't last :( Hit the wall at about 70km to go, so I'll have to watch it tonight.

Well done for Sagan and Dillier - in the break all day and 2nd !! Shades of the ride at Flanders by Pedersen.

Looked like some nasty crashes - is Goolaerts recovering ? Sounds like he will be OK due to some quick treatment. EDIT : Just read that he passed away :( Sad news indeed.

Updates on Trentin ?

Will have to wait another year for a wet Roubaix :?
I didn't watch it yet, that's incredibly sad news for Veranda's Willems Crelan team. RIP. 23 years old. :(

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:55 pm

find_bruce wrote:
MichaelB wrote:Will have to wait another year for a wet Roubaix :?
You sadist :D
Yup. :D
Chuck wrote:
I don't think Boonen will be losing any sleep over it as he looks at the 4 cobble trophies he has ....
Trouble is Sagan can add to his tally, and Boonen can't.

Wonder if Sagan's cobble has some rainbow stripes in the corner ..... :wink:

Was actually thinking, if a Euro trip were able to be done, what would be better, Mountains or Cobbles ?

I'd seriously lean to the cobbles and do some of the Sportive rides (the short versions, anyway ..) :o

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:34 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Chuck wrote:
I don't think Boonen will be losing any sleep over it as he looks at the 4 cobble trophies he has ....
Trouble is Sagan can add to his tally, and Boonen can't.
Trouble ? That's a curious comment, trouble for who ? If Sagan can add to his tally good luck to him, he's great to watch.
FPR Ragamuffin

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:48 pm

Very sad about the Belgian rider. He must have been out when still on the cobbles.

Dillier was incredible. It's nice to see a long-range breakaway rider getting some reward for effort and entertainment. I think everyone was waiting for him to crack for 40km, but he looked so calm.

Enjoying the 'discussion' between Sagan and Boonen. They're both right in their own ways, it's just good entertainment for me :D

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:49 pm

fat and old wrote:I like Sagan. I like his style of riding, he's nonchalance in interviews. I was agnostic on his ass grab and cheap papal visit. But I'm getting mighty tired of his goggles around the neck whenever there's a podium around.

I guess you can do that when you're the best. :lol:
Or getting paid to do it...... UCI obviously haven't told him to stop

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:47 am

So who's gonna win Amstel, destroy the Mur de Huy and monster LBL ?

Cracker of a week coming !!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:00 am

Now that's what I call determined - One hour behind, but determined to finish - Siskevicius finishes Roubaix (from Cycling news)

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:39 pm

Red Rider wrote:Very sad about the Belgian rider. He must have been out when still on the cobbles.
In ICycling News
French authorities do not yet have confirmation what caused his condition, but theorised that the cardiac arrest preceded his fall.
I remember watching Denny Hulme's car coming to a halt on ConRod. By then he'd had a full career, Goolaerts was just starting out.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:22 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Red Rider wrote:Very sad about the Belgian rider. He must have been out when still on the cobbles.
In ICycling News
French authorities do not yet have confirmation what caused his condition, but theorised that the cardiac arrest preceded his fall.
I remember watching Denny Hulme's car coming to a halt on ConRod. By then he'd had a full career, Goolaerts was just starting out.
I remember the Denny Hulme accident too, it was a BMW M3 wasn't it. I was watching it at the time.

More on the investigation into Michael Goolaerts death:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... is-roubaix

It's very tragic, but it's not unheard of, young elite sports people collapsing on field, heart attacks, etc. He died doing what I suppose he loved doing, riding bikes. He rode well in Flanders recently.

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:28 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Thoglette wrote:
In ICycling News
I remember the Denny Hulme accident too, it was a BMW M3 wasn't it. I was watching it at the time.
Reckon it was one of Longhurst's Yellow/orange Benson & Hedges cars. I was twelve and I remember it.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:05 am

Cardy George wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
Reckon it was one of Longhurst's Yellow/orange Benson & Hedges cars. I was twelve and I remember it.
Yep, B&H Beemer. I was 10 & remember it as well.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:41 am

Now confirmed that heart failure caused the crash, not the other way round.

Of further interest now is what caused the heart failure.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:42 am

I haven't yet seen the insinuations and guessing start.....and I hope I don't.

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:00 pm

RonK wrote:
A problem with his heart :|
FPR Ragamuffin

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:02 pm

RonK wrote:Now confirmed that heart failure caused the crash, not the other way round.

He's dead, what more do you want?

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:50 pm

fat and old wrote:I haven't yet seen the insinuations and guessing start.....and I hope I don't.
Ya, me too.

Let sleeping dogs lie.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:56 am

Not sure if there was any Amstel on SBS but I got in the last 100km but withba slight distraction of some computer work.

Sagan was hoping for the 1, 2 and had a good effort but not the energy in the end which good for competition. Extreamly sad reflecting on the passing of Goolaert.
Cycling is in my BNA

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:19 am

I tried to watch the stream on SBS, from 9.30 when the womens race was on. Nothing was working for me.
Kept coming back, still nothing would work for me, gave up around 11.00 and went to bed.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:52 am

Watched a bit of it on SBS Viceland, but was too tired. Will watch again, and seems like another great result with the favourites missing out again !!

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:10 am

MichaelB wrote:Watched a bit of it on SBS Viceland, but was too tired. Will watch again, and seems like another great result with the favourites missing out again !!
Yep Sagan, Valverde and Alaphilippe looked at each other waiting for 1 to respond, but none did