Giro 2018 - cracker event again ?

MichaelB

Re: Giro 2018 - cracker event again ?

Postby MichaelB » Thu May 17, 2018 8:30 am

And even more surprises overnight !!

Proving to be a very unpredictable Giro :D

I think Chaves's extra time loss is more about sitting up and recovering once Yates was looking good (I hope ....)

Rohan still hanging in there, but the Zoncolan stage will hurt him, but then again, it may hurt a lot of riders !!

Surprised to see how many others lost time last night as well, including my mate Froomey. So much for quiet stages till the hills this weekend ...

EDIT : Update on Zoncolan - looks a bit white atm ....
https://twitter.com/ginevragarga/status ... 4157232128

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu May 17, 2018 10:06 am

Funny that despite winning the stage Yates is probably disappointed to only get 6 seconds on Dumoulin.

Should be a couple of easy stages for the GC contenders ... until Sat

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Thu May 17, 2018 10:32 am

find_bruce wrote:Funny that despite winning the stage Yates is probably disappointed to only get 6 seconds on Dumoulin.
He knows he needs more before the time trial.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu May 17, 2018 11:53 am

find_bruce wrote: ...
Should be a couple of easy stages for the GC contenders ... until Sat
That's what I was thinking of the last few stages, but it's been the absolute opposite. Some really hard riding preventing breaks form getting anywhere, let alone established, and hard riding in the final parts of the stages.

Pinot showed an average speed of 45.2km/hr for Stage 11 and a Max of 86 !! And for Stage 10, the average was 39.9 with almost 4,000m of elevation gain (data from Strava, so like lumen ratings from Chinese lights, somewhat dodgy ...)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri May 18, 2018 8:27 am

Stolen from WW, and lauged so hard !!!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat May 19, 2018 9:53 pm

And they’re off !!

Bugger for Adam Yates, 2 sec off the podium !!!!

Go Estaban & Simon !!!

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun May 20, 2018 1:26 am

No spoilers.... but exciting end even if I am dissapointed... but lets talk about that when you have all seen the stage
Cycling is in my BNA

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sun May 20, 2018 11:22 am

Meh.... it was gonna happen sooner or later. I’m thinking Nibali 2016

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun May 20, 2018 12:26 pm

I was disappointed that he didn’t get him in the end, great ride by Pink and TD !!

That looked more than hard as they ground their way up that last climb!!!!

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon May 21, 2018 8:11 am

I just had to check The Clinic this morning.... :lol:

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon May 21, 2018 8:15 am

fat and old wrote:I just had to check The Clinic this morning.... :lol:
Well one of the MS staff described his performance as "out of this world" on the team's video of the stage.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon May 21, 2018 8:27 am

I didn't last the stage last night, but man, he is storming it. Maybe the conditions suit him, maybe .... I dunno, but the other standout performance for me is Jack Haig - he is the last one there with the team, and he's showing some of the other well credentialed & proven climbers (albeit a bit older) what a young pup can do.

Long term contract for him !!!

I wanted to watch the stage, as it's where my mate and I had to abandon a planned ride up to Tre Cime (the continuation of Tre Croce), but the rain and thunder were a bit too much for us, so discretion was the better part of valour and we headed back down. Had a really nice lunch in Cortina d'Ampezzo and then headed back to Canazei !!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon May 21, 2018 2:07 pm

Just following on a bit from the above comments re Jack Haig - I've started following a few riders during the Giro for interests sake and to get brought down to earth of just how average I really am.

My stats for the year so far :
Avg distance per week : 210km
# rides : 156**
Ride time : 165h 47m
Distance (YTD) : 4,204km
Elevation gain (YTD) : 44,145m
Biggest climb : 1,849m (That was Stelvio from Prato side :mrgreen: )
Biggest ride : 150km

Jack's as a comparison ...
Avg distance per week : 926km
# rides : 143
Ride time : 447h 39m
Distance (YTD) : 14,163km
Elevation gain (YTD) : 217,557m
Biggest climb :1,755m
Biggest ride : 603km

:shock: I beat Jack in two of the stats !! Woot !!
:roll:

**(a quirk here, as the Bolt is set to make my ride to & from work as two separate rides, so really should be more like 100)

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Mon May 21, 2018 4:02 pm

My Garmin gave me 2m more for the Stelvio... I got 1851... :D

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Mon May 21, 2018 7:21 pm

RonK wrote: No doubt it was nice for him to complete his set of grand tour jerseys but it was not good tactics since he has gc pretensions.

You could have used the word 'aspirations' but of course you chose a word with negative connotations, that is your way.

BMC did the right, they know their man better than anyone. Put him in pink let him experience what it's like to be the leader of a big race, all the off bike stuff, ride for him, continue his development all while getting terrific exposure for their sponsors.
He was never going to suddenly contend for the overall, it's a long process not unlike Brad McGee's and just like McGee he might not quite make it as a GC rider but he's giving it a good crack with the team right behind him.
FPR Ragamuffin

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed May 23, 2018 8:46 am

Well, the TT is done and a few surprises. For me, they were :

Yates did well, and didn't lose as much as expected (or is that also that Tommy didn't have the oomph lefty to gain more ?), so he's still in pink with a good buffer which allows him to be more defensive.

Rohan grabbed the stage convincingly (enough anyway) to also get him back in the Top 10 - but will he stay there.

Aru ? If you say it with a guttural sort of twist, you get a Scooby Doo like sound that equals "What the .... ?"

EDIT : Stolen from WW
Anyone got a gif of Tony Martin’s face when Aru crossed the line? :p

Edit: For those who missed Tony Martin's reaction: https://twitter.com/mrconde/status/998932734444736512
Those that got penalised for drafting - only saw Pedersen's case - How the hell did Trek get away with using an Econovan for the support vehicle ???

Pinot, Pozzivivo & Froome - a good battle for the final step of the podium. I honestly hope that Pozzi gets it, as he's one of the few that look almost as bad as Froome on a bike, but do like him.

So, it's another early night to get ready to watch the three final mountain stages (or at least try and stay up that late :roll:

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed May 23, 2018 9:10 am

One of the rare TT stages I've had the endurance to watch through to the end - and I didn't doze off on the sofa.

A good result all round.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

caneye

Postby caneye » Wed May 23, 2018 10:34 am

MichaelB wrote: Yates did well, and didn't lose as much as expected (or is that also that Tommy didn't have the oomph lefty to gain more ?), so he's still in pink with a good buffer which allows him to be more defensive.
Yah, Yates himself mentioned that too.
Does this mean that he can just eye Dumoulin and match him move for move?
I suppose there's no incentive for him to build a bigger time gap between himself and Dumoulin any more?
No point risking it. Play it safe and remember what happened to kruijswijk .. :)

It's entirely up to Dumoulin now.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Wed May 23, 2018 1:12 pm

caneye wrote:
MichaelB wrote: Yates did well, and didn't lose as much as expected (or is that also that Tommy didn't have the oomph lefty to gain more ?), so he's still in pink with a good buffer which allows him to be more defensive.
Yah, Yates himself mentioned that too.
Does this mean that he can just eye Dumoulin and match him move for move?
I suppose there's no incentive for him to build a bigger time gap between himself and Dumoulin any more?
No point risking it. Play it safe and remember what happened to kruijswijk .. :)

It's entirely up to Dumoulin now.
Froome is still in the hunt.... and he has form in taking minutes attacking on a summit finish. I think he is more of a threat than Dumoulin now. Dumoulin does not seem to be good at lifting the power for a minute or two in an attack and then settling in to follow it through. His best chance is just a long range high tempo to wear them down but that aint going to stress Yates too much unless he has a bad day. On the other hand, Froome has the acceleration to build a gap and then follow it through. I hope Yates can see it through, but if he has one bad day, someone like Froome could really capitalise on that. Looking at the top 5, the remaining terrain is least suited to Dumoulin so he will have to do something different to take it from here.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed May 23, 2018 2:36 pm

vosadrian wrote:
Froome is still in the hunt.... and he has form in taking minutes attacking on a summit finish. .....
I'd have to disagree with that.

He's attacked and taken time on one summit finish, but consistently lost it on 4 occasions.

He's far enough back that he'd have to attack several times and then not lose it just to get even, let alone, get ahead. He seems to have only one team mate to help him (Poels), so whilst he's still there, he's fighting Pozzovivi for 3rd place at best.

Who knows what will happen, but I know what I don't want !!!

Happy for a Yates, TD & Pozzo/Pinot podium, in that order !!

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Wed May 23, 2018 2:52 pm

MichaelB wrote:
vosadrian wrote:
Froome is still in the hunt.... and he has form in taking minutes attacking on a summit finish. .....

He's attacked and taken time on one summit finish, but consistently lost it on 4 occasions.

He's far enough back that he'd have to attack several times and then not lose it just to get even, let alone, get ahead. He seems to have only one team mate to help him (Poels), so whilst he's still there, he's fighting Pozzovivi for 3rd place at best.

I'm not talking specifically about what he has achieved this Giro. I am talking about times in his earlier TDFs where he attacked long range and pulled minutes on his opposition. Typically this has not been in the 3rd week though, and he had shown better form than he has so far shown this Giro. I just don't think you can rule him out. On the other hand, Dumoulin has never pulled time on a major rival except in TT. He is good at defending in the Mountains, but has he ever attacked the other climbers and pulled time on them? Anyways, I think it unlikely, but if he is in good form and goes on a long range attack, he could take minutes. It has happened before for him, but I don't think it has happened for any of the others chasing Yates. Also, Froome is pretty good with the tactics and knows an opportunity when he sees it. Unfortunately we have seen leaders with unassailable leads at the beginning of the 3rd week fall out of the top 10 many times before. We all know it just takes one bad day.

I want to see Yates win. Great for Mitchelton Scott and by association for Australian Cycling. I think it is his to lose. As long as he manages any bad days well he should be fine. I think Pozzi/Froome could conceivably pull time on Dumoulin... maybe enough to beat him... but as long as Yates keeps up his form, he will be safe. I would like to see Dumoulin get 2nd. I enjoyed watching him win last year, and I like that aspect of a climber vs a TT rider.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed May 23, 2018 3:29 pm

vosadrian wrote:
MichaelB wrote:
vosadrian wrote:

I'm not talking specifically about what he has achieved this Giro. I am talking about times in his earlier TDFs where he attacked long range and pulled minutes on his opposition. Typically this has not been in the 3rd week though, and he had shown better form than he has so far shown this Giro. I just don't think you can rule him out. On the other hand, Dumoulin has never pulled time on a major rival except in TT. He is good at defending in the Mountains, but has he ever attacked the other climbers and pulled time on them? Anyways, I think it unlikely, but if he is in good form and goes on a long range attack, he could take minutes. It has happened before for him, but I don't think it has happened for any of the others chasing Yates. Also, Froome is pretty good with the tactics and knows an opportunity when he sees it. Unfortunately we have seen leaders with unassailable leads at the beginning of the 3rd week fall out of the top 10 many times before. We all know it just takes one bad day.

I want to see Yates win. Great for Mitchelton Scott and by association for Australian Cycling. I think it is his to lose. As long as he manages any bad days well he should be fine. I think Pozzi/Froome could conceivably pull time on Dumoulin... maybe enough to beat him... but as long as Yates keeps up his form, he will be safe. I would like to see Dumoulin get 2nd. I enjoyed watching him win last year, and I like that aspect of a climber vs a TT rider.
Ok, didn't exactly gain much time but did attack the climbers. Watch from 10:45.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Thu May 24, 2018 12:04 pm

I watched the TT last night. I was surprised to see how much Yates was moving himself around on the Saddle. Admittedly I mostly watched the last 15kms and he has said he was well in the hurt zone, but it seemed he was pushing himself back in the saddle every few seconds and then slowly moving back onto the nose again. I assume he was cooked and moving forward to get on top of the pedals as I do when I am cooked.... but was this an issue of bike fit? I mean he got a great result, so it worked, but I just thought at that level they would have the fit perfect. Dumoulin was doing it a bit also, but much less pronounced and seemed to do it move to one side than the other. He did look much better on a TT bike. Pozzi looked all wrong... but he got the job done OK.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri May 25, 2018 6:34 am

Game on. I'm getting tired now :lol:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri May 25, 2018 9:08 am

That it is !!!

Lets hope that it's just a quick quirk and that he can hold on.

Next two nights are definite "watch till the end" ones !!!