Lay low for 5 years, and it'll be sweet.....

fat and old

Lay low for 5 years, and it'll be sweet.....

Postby fat and old » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:51 pm

At least that's how it's worked out for Erik Zabel. Probably one of the very few Germans of the EPO era to still have a life in cycling post confession? Has pro-cycling in Germany reached the heights it was at pre 2006 yet? It seems to be getting along.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lay low for 5 years, and it'll be sweet.....

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:55 pm

Erik is an interesting one... also 'only doped once' but has remained well-respected.

One of reasons I think is because of his genuine and continuing interest in cycling sport. Armstrong and Ullrich would be considered egoists and cycling for them appeared more centred around themselves and their own success. Cycling was the means, and their behaviour has always given me the impression they didn't share the same respect for the sport.

Zabel was certainly a product of an era and while this doesn't give him a 'get out of jail card' - a difference I have seen is his coaching and support for young riders. While he is also a media personality in a way, his work is not to increase the 'cult of Erik Zabel' as the afore mentioned riders (hint... LiveStrong 'charity').

Pro Cycling in Germany is still not yet at the same level, it is related to doping era and a very slow recovery especially as public television coverage of pro cycling stopped. But one difference I see is that there is a higher chance that the average road cyclists is connected to a club or participates in more regular competitive events... even if they are Gran Fondo or Sportiv style rides. In comparison I see Australia as a place where there is a higher percentage of road cyclists who enjoy riding but hardly participate in any organised or competitive events.

Another interesting thing, you have to search for a shop that has road bikes. Most carry commuter bikes, MTBs and ebikes... but so many don't carry a single drop bar road bike. MTBing transitions more easily to everyday cycling whereas road-cycling doesn't have the same everyday practicality... and I think the current trends and slightly harder accessibility also affect the popularity.

Returning to 'laying low' - in Australia the ex pro riders who have admitted to doping can't change their past but a big different for me is how much they genuinely give back to the sport (selflessly) compared with the level of ego and self-promotion.
Cycling is in my BNA

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:29 pm

Thanks for the insights Jefe. I laughed at this
But one difference I see is that there is a higher chance that the average road cyclists is connected to a club or participates in more regular competitive events... even if they are Gran Fondo or Sportiv style rides. In comparison I see Australia as a place where there is a higher percentage of road cyclists who enjoy riding but hardly participate in any organised or competitive events.
Teutonic efficiency combined with Prussian obedience. Germany's hallmark. :lol:

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:09 am

And when the Aussie pro cyclists stop riding in thongs, they will increase their racing success.
Cycling is in my BNA