Suspicious Sightings Thread - Possibly Stolen

Forum rules
Before posting, please read the guidelines first.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:24 pm

The Purpose of this thread is to document suspicious sighting where you ask yourself "could that be stolen" or "could they be stealing that bike"?
Thieves are scumbags and it isn't always obvious plus there are awkward or unusual situations where genuine owners are simply transporting their own bike.

So this thread will get key details such as location and bike brand / colour reported, but without details that will get a genuine owner into trouble.

It means that if someone has had a bike stolen, the details you provide will come up in Google and can then help them and the police track and recover the stolen property.
Cycling is in my BNA

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Suspicious Sightings Thread - Possibly Stolen

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:27 pm

Spotted in Freshwater, Sydney Northern Beaches a Basso Racebike, white with black letters.
Unusual as a fellow was riding an urban bike and was pushing this race bike along.
Cycling is in my BNA

Skye1

Postby Skye1 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:40 pm

We had our very expensive KTM and Carbon Corratec bikes stolen on Sunday morning. How does one add photos to postings. Any other sites you can recommend where I can list our stolen bikes. They will be easy to identify as they not available in Australia

Thanking you in advance

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:09 pm

Skye1 wrote:We had our very expensive KTM and Carbon Corratec bikes stolen on Sunday morning. How does one add photos to postings. Any other sites you can recommend where I can list our stolen bikes. They will be easy to identify as they not available in Australia

Thanking you in advance
I have PM'd you.

For future reference for anyone else coming across this thread with the same question:

If you want to post a stolen bike thread as a new member the easiest way is to:

1 - Post the thread
2 - Include links in the post to hosted pics (see here if you are unsure how to do this)
3 - Report your own post by clicking on the Image icon (note this may appear slightly differently depending on the board design you use)
4 - Put in the report details that you would like a mod to fix your image links
5 - The next mod to work through post reports will fix it up for you (which is why you should do it this way instead of PMing a mod, it will get done quicker)
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:42 pm

Not a bad idea for a thread, however, one would hope that if someone was to observe suspicious activity, they would contact the coppers at the time, not wait until they get home to tell all and sundry here about their sighting...

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:03 pm

macca33 wrote:Not a bad idea for a thread, however, one would hope that if someone was to observe suspicious activity, they would contact the coppers at the time, not wait until they get home to tell all and sundry here about their sighting...

cheers
A large (and ever increasing) # of forum members are actually interacting with the forums using the tapatalk app on their phones & could post immediately and may choose to do so as well as reporting to police, rather than instead of (although I would suggest that not all instances would you report it to police, there would have to be a rather strong indication it was stolen to do so IMHO, otherwise their already significant workload would be unneccesarily increased).
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:06 pm

macca33 wrote:Not a bad idea for a thread, however, one would hope that if someone was to observe suspicious activity, they would contact the coppers at the time, not wait until they get home to tell all and sundry here about their sighting...
Point taken - although if something looks stolen or you believe it is being stolen - yes report to the police.

However there are situations where it is not obvious and they are unusual and awkward situations. The purpose of this thread is to document key details which protecting the idention of a innocent and genuine bike owners. If however it is stolen property, key details (location, bike brand) will come up in google and rightful owners have a better chance of recovery... and the baddie punished.
Cycling is in my BNA

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Sun May 11, 2014 5:15 pm

Noticed a Vivente World Randonneur (VWR) chained up at Blacktown station in Sydney a week ago. Unusual to see a $2000 touring bike chained up at a western Sydney station (a fairly rough station - I'm not bagging the area as I live in a neighboring suburb). I only noticed cause I was riding my own VWR past on the way to work!
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Mon May 12, 2014 9:05 pm

isabella24 wrote:Noticed a Vivente World Randonneur (VWR) chained up at Blacktown station in Sydney a week ago. Unusual to see a $2000 touring bike chained up at a western Sydney station (a fairly rough station - I'm not bagging the area as I live in a neighboring suburb). I only noticed cause I was riding my own VWR past on the way to work!
New acquisition? :)
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Tue May 13, 2014 7:12 am

Lol, the one at the station would have been waaay too big for me!!! I got mine a year ago. Great bike though.
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Tue May 13, 2014 10:03 am

Sorry, that was ambiguous. :oops: Just curious about them; they sound great.
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Tue May 13, 2014 11:57 am

No worries! My experience with mine has been great so far. I use it to commute to work. It's stable, carries all my work stuff and copes well with the dirt road out the front of my workplace. Not light, but I certainly didn't buy it to try and save weight!

cyclebee

Postby cyclebee » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:49 am

There is a Trek carbon bike at my workplace's bike room (security pass access), unlocked on the bike hanger. Wonder how long beore someone nicks it.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:36 pm

I find this one on Ebay a bit sus:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/191210536216 ... 1423.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

*The name is spelled incorrectly, skultura instead of scultura
*I asked if the bike was stock, he mentioned that the seatpost, bars and stem - no mention of the chainring, clearly visible in the pic
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:16 pm

Spotted at Morwell Railway Station tonight. Nice looking bike but the $40 price tag seemed a bit sus.Image

First digit in the phone number is a zero.

Could be legit but who knows. If it is, someone might like a bargain.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:29 am

Saturday afternoon in Coburg at corner of Sydney Road and Munro street. A guy crossed Munro then Sydney rd heading south with what looked like a black fixie over his shoulder. Had a suspicious manner about him looking around everywhere. Can describe him if needed.

Saturnstarzz

Postby Saturnstarzz » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:57 am

Andy wrote:Saturday afternoon in Coburg at corner of Sydney Road and Munro street. A guy crossed Munro then Sydney rd heading south with what looked like a black fixie over his shoulder. Had a suspicious manner about him looking around everywhere. Can describe him if needed.

A suss looking bloke with a fixie in Coburg lol. Just throw in a beard ,flannel shirt and skinny jeans. :D

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:59 pm

Hey that's me! But it's due to an expired fashion sense and laziness. Not so sure bout the stove pipes and fixie though.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:39 pm

Saturnstarzz wrote:
Andy wrote:Saturday afternoon in Coburg at corner of Sydney Road and Munro street. A guy crossed Munro then Sydney rd heading south with what looked like a black fixie over his shoulder. Had a suspicious manner about him looking around everywhere. Can describe him if needed.

A suss looking bloke with a fixie in Coburg lol. Just throw in a beard ,flannel shirt and skinny jeans. :D
Wasn't me, no skinny jeans...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

askrapscola49

Postby askrapscola49 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:58 pm

I just recently had my 2014 apollo transfer 20 stolen on thursday June 19 2014 its slate or black with red lettering if anyone has any info please contact me or post please.

harmonix1234

TAS Suspicious - Possible Stolen Focus Hardtail TAS

Postby harmonix1234 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:11 am

OK, so I have seen this druunkard bogan with no teeth riding around on this really nice Focus Hardtail around Moonah.
I think it might be a Raven Expert (Value about $5,500 AUD).

I had a chat to him at the ATM the other day trying to suss it out and the guy seems to be under the impression that "It's a pretty sick bike (pushes down on front suspension to show me its sickness, and), a mate 'gave it to him', except he crashed it when he was drunk and that's why there's blood on the bike'. He has no idea of what he is riding, or what it's even worth, but I reckon as soon as he cottons on that he can get $2K for it he'll be palming it off quicksmart.

I see the guy almost daily around the Moonah CBD smoking and drinking beer out of a paper bag.

If this is your bike, take a stroll through Monnah around 5:00PM and you'll see him. The bike looks mint so is pretty new. No mud and all the stanchions and paintwork seem really nice and clean like it's pretty much straight out of the shop.
About 45 years old, dirty unkempt bogan, no teeth, no helmet, stained filthy clothes, long grey brown hair tied in a pony tail.
You'll see him hanging around the CBA ATM or Banjos over the road scabbing for spare change.
Also see him outside Woolworths on the main roda entrance scabbing for change.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:52 am

Looks like s Stolen bike on the corner Burwood hwy and Springvale Rd (in Victoria). Not sure what brand but sitting there unchained by the looks for a few days now.

typo's by Tapatalk
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:03 pm

Spotted a fella pushing a White Giant bike over the Leach Hwy bridge that goes over railway pde in Welshpool. Look dodgy. No helmet, no road shoes, not cycling gears.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:41 pm

This seller on Gumtree posts multiple bikes and updates the ads almost daily. This is in my local area and, as I look at gumtree way too often, have also seen this seller posting plenty of different bikes. It could be legit, but the sheer number and variation in the bikes just sounds alarming. The prices are about normal and the seller seems to describe them well so knows something about bikes. How do you report/flag it as suspicious? If the bikes are stolen, other than watching for your own stolen bike, how will anyone know?
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

roshea

Postby roshea » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:39 pm

This Giant Omnium on eBay looks very shady. Seller knows nothing about the bike, and listing has been taken down a couple of times already. Seller is listed as Mount Pritchard area (outer Eastern Sydney, apparently, I have no idea). Anyone lost one?

Apologies if the image is too big!