Bikes Stolen during test rides.

Forum rules
Before posting, please read the guidelines first.
bychosis

Bikes Stolen during test rides.

Postby bychosis » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:18 pm

Saw this posted on another forum. No doubt now it is in the media there is potential for copycats too.

Test Ride Bike Bandit Strikes Again!
A serial bike thief is preying on victims selling bikes on Gumtree in Victoria.
It is alleged that a con artist*is scamming*sellers of high-end bikes advertised for sale on Gumtree, by posing as a legitimate purchaser and stealing the bikes during a purported test ride.* Consistent with each theft is that the male contacts the seller via text before arranging an inspection of the bike. * During the inspection he asks to take the bike for a test ride and offers his mobile phone, wallet and keys as security. *On three occasions he has left behind an activated pre-paid mobile phone connected in a false name.
The male has now stolen five bikes from Sandringham, St Kilda, Carlton, Armadale and Brighton since October 2016, with the last two thefts occuring in a 3 day period.
The latest bike stolen is a Specialized S Works Enduro Moutain Bike, stolen from Brighton on Friday 17 February 2016. *Following his normal course of conning the seller to believe he is a genuine purchaser the male arrived wearing a pair of cycling shoes and brought with him a set of clip on pedals to fit to the bike. * After fitting the pedals he requested to take the bike for a test ride and offered his mobile phone, wallet and keys as security. *The victim opted to only take the keys, believing they were for a car parked out the front of the premises. *The male then road off on the bike. *The keys were later found to be unrelated to the car."

Source of article : http://news.stolenbikesaustralia.com...strikes-again/
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Warin

Re: Bikes Stolen during test rides.

Postby Warin » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:05 am

When I go for a test ride at a bike store where I am unknown .. they usually ask for my drivers licence as security. (If they know me .. no problem... I just go for a ride)
That is what I would do for a private sale - drivers licence ... just be certain to check the photo and expiry date. If they are going to steal the bike they may well have stolen wallets, phones and keys.

For Identification there is a points list that organisations use -
A driver licence with photo and signature is worth 40 points, a current passport is worth 70
Reference http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.as ... t_ID=34472

koshari

Postby koshari » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:59 am

the keys is an interesting one, iam assuming they drove a car to the place of sale???

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:23 pm

koshari wrote:the keys is an interesting one, iam assuming they drove a car to the place of sale???
Steal keys, get a mate with van or ute to drop them off and collect them and bike a klick away
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

piledhigher

Postby piledhigher » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:38 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
koshari wrote:the keys is an interesting one, iam assuming they drove a car to the place of sale???
Steal keys, get a mate with van or ute to drop them off and collect them and bike a klick away
Create fake random holden set of keys, arrive by foot or public transport, point at generic holden parked in the street, test ride bike and ride home..

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:34 am

...laugh at how clever you are, get caught in a month or two, get six months in prison. These criminal masterminds rarely think that part through.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:14 am

borrow a bike and ride with them....?

Testing386

Postby Testing386 » Sat May 13, 2017 8:56 am

I live at the bottom of a steep gorge. Most folk ride down my driveway, round the cul-de-sac and bust a lung making it back to my drive :) I had one fellow almost make it half way up my street before turning back. If Mr "Test Ride Thief" were to pay a visit, I reckon I'd have a fair chance of catching him on foot unless he's wearing a polka dot jersey!

I don't let my bikes (pedal or motorcycle) out of my sight. Unfortunately too many problems if a "buyer" drops it, does a runner, has a crash... Keys, ID, and licences too easily faked.

pneumaticRubber

Postby pneumaticRubber » Thu May 25, 2017 4:06 pm

Has anybody ever thought to use a bike with a GPS tracking device as bait to catch these types of scumbags ?

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Thu May 25, 2017 4:23 pm

pneumaticRubber wrote:Has anybody ever thought to use a bike with a GPS tracking device as bait to catch these types of scumbags ?
Australian property protection laws are so much geared against vigilantism that you would have to think carefully about what you would do once you had it tracked to a location.
Go!Run!GAH!

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Thu May 25, 2017 11:12 pm

Cheesewheel wrote:
pneumaticRubber wrote:Has anybody ever thought to use a bike with a GPS tracking device as bait to catch these types of scumbags ?
Australian property protection laws are so much geared against vigilantism that you would have to think carefully about what you would do once you had it tracked to a location.
They 'fell off the bike' when I chased them.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike