Does setting up rear brake to left hand shifter compromise b

slian

Does setting up rear brake to left hand shifter compromise b

Postby slian » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:32 pm

Recently I've received feedback from a cycling buddy that my left sided brake is a bit stiff compared to his left sided brake. Sure enough when I tried it his had a very supple feel compare to mine. I'm on Shimano 7900 while he's on 6800.

Further on he claimed it's due to my brakes being incorrectly set up, left to rear and right to front, thus compromising the cable routing.

However on reading around, it seems that is the normal setup in Australia.

What is the forum's experience in this? Does left/right and front/rear combination actually affect braking feel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toolonglegs

Re: Does setting up rear brake to left hand shifter compromi

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:40 pm

No... Just get a new cable fitted ( inner and outer ).

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:41 pm

slian wrote: However on reading around, it seems that is the normal setup in Australia.
That's right. If the bike is setup properly with the cables the right length and going in the right directions it will make no difference. Most of your braking power is from the front, so if your right handed it makes sense for your strongest hand to control your strongest brake.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:55 pm

Umm, maybe.
Never tried it but it is how frames are designed to be cabled.

Personally, I'd be making sure the existing cable runs are top line first. No kinks, clean, square cuts to the outers, ferrules properly seated, that sort of thing.

Whether you'd have any problems adapting to the new control layout is in your hands.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:42 am

As the others have said, check freedom of movement and lube cable if needed. I ride bikes with the braking on either side front-LHS and front-RHS makes no difference other than remembering which bike I'm on. :oops:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:18 am

slian wrote:Recently I've received feedback from a cycling buddy that my left sided brake is a bit stiff compared to his left sided brake. Sure enough when I tried it his had a very supple feel compare to mine. I'm on Shimano 7900 while he's on 6800.

Further on he claimed it's due to my brakes being incorrectly set up, left to rear and right to front, thus compromising the cable routing.
My mechanic says the same thing. Australia is one of the few places where the brakes are set up this way. My mechanic keeps wanting to change the brakes around but I tell him no I want to leave them the way they are because I've been riding bikes for many years that way and if they are changed I am likely to crash.

herzog

Postby herzog » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:22 am

Au uses the standard for countries that drive on the left.

Two added bonuses of this configuration:

One as mentioned by another poster is that it puts your dominant (for most ppl) right hand on the power brake.

Second advantage is for those who ride motorcycles in addition to bikes. The main brake is in the same spot. Meaning that in an emergency situation on the motorcycle you don't instinctively grab a handful of clutch lever instead of brake.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:47 am

V-brakes have a standard setup for LH front levers, so if you want to have RH front, you have to have an S bend in your cable. I bought an Avid Ultimate to get the cable run correct for RH front as it allows the noodle to be swapped to the other side.

I recently purchased a Planet X Kaffenback to find it has the rear brake cable routing on the left side of the frame. This makes LH rear brake cabling more tight at the handlebar bend. You might think a British bike would have the routing down the right side of the frame, but it appears to be a global design like everything else.

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:43 am

swings and roundabouts...

i run a left/front brake setup as on my MTB i kept locking up the rear brake (i'm sure being left handed plays a part in this). the rear brake runs a nice smooth arc around the headtube, but then the front brake has a tighter radius. (at least, for disc brakes it's a little tighter... it's probably fine with normal rim calipers now i think of it! :lol:)
swap them around to the "australian standard" and the front is nice and gradual, but the rear brake has a tighter radius... doesn't matter!

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:49 am

"incorrectly set up" ... your mate is a goober. :lol:

All bikes in Aus are set up this way. It is the national standard. As herzog mentioned, it follows the convention for all right-hand drive countries (where cars travel on the left hand side of the road).

I have no problem with the smoothness of the rear brakes on either of my cable-braked bikes. Yes the rear has *slightly* more drag than the front, due to the greater length of cable outer it has to run through. To be honest, I barely notice it. The major reason for deterioration in performance is contamination of the cable and outer with dirt and grit.

In this case, you need to replace the outer and thoroughly wipe clean the cable before re-inserting. Smooth performance will be restored.

Swapping sides will put you in a difficult place when wanting to test-ride new bikes while living here, unless they are fitted with Avid or Formula hydraulics which are a 5-minute exercise to swap sides with the levers.
Ross wrote:My mechanic says the same thing. Australia is one of the few places where the brakes are set up this way. My mechanic keeps wanting to change the brakes around but I tell him no I want to leave them the way they are because I've been riding bikes for many years that way and if they are changed I am likely to crash.
Indeed, that is a *very* real risk. I'd be suggesting him to use his initiative to work out a solution or, if he can't, recommend a better mechanic who can.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:03 am

Fwiw my Apollo roadie frame has the cable entry for the rear internal line on the right of the head tube, ie it is correctly designed for left-rear cabling. Most frames aren't though.

Stuey

Postby Stuey » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:28 am

FWIW, I run a 7800 setup on a Felt that has done tens of thousands of km and it's still 'supple' and responsive on both sides (set up the Aussie way) - and this is with internal routing for the rear.

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:37 am

Recently I've received feedback from a cycling buddy that my left sided brake is a bit stiff compared to his left sided brake. Sure enough when I tried it his had a very supple feel compare to mine. I'm on Shimano 7900 while he's on 6800.

However on reading around, it seems that is the normal setup in Australia.

What is the forum's experience in this? Does left/right and front/rear combination actually affect braking feel?
A mechanic on the BNV forum has commented several times that 7900 is not as good when braking due to the hidden cable run. It was the first iteration by Shimano and is now much better with the 9000 series. Can be improved but as another poster wrote everything needs to be spot on. On the left front brake issue, euros use this setup whereas Aussies and others don't. As another poster put it, if you've ridden motorbikes it is the same setup and saves confusion with a clutch to manipulate as well. My nephew who runs a bike shop uses the euro front setup and I asked him why. He said he finds it easier going down the gears when slowing or stopping as his left hand can modulate the front brake while changing down with the right. For me I've happily used the traditional right front braking on motorbikes and pushies.

KGB

Postby KGB » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:09 pm

AFAIK, legally, bikes are supposed to be set up this way for sale in Australia since we drive on the left as already mentioned.

There are benefits to each way, also as mentioned. Personally I have always used right-front and hence feel most comfortable that way. Since I ride small frames however, it DOES affect the friction in the cable as sometimes you can't avoid less than ideal routing and sharpish bends. Having said that, its only ever been a real issue when I'm cobling together junky franken-bikes.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:34 pm

Nobody wrote:V-brakes have a standard setup for LH front levers, so if you want to have RH front, you have to have an S bend in your cable. I bought an Avid Ultimate to get the cable run correct for RH front as it allows the noodle to be swapped to the other side.

I recently purchased a Planet X Kaffenback to find it has the rear brake cable routing on the left side of the frame. This makes LH rear brake cabling more tight at the handlebar bend. You might think a British bike would have the routing down the right side of the frame, but it appears to be a global design like everything else.
How is the mighty Kaffenback build going? Photos, build thread?
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:03 pm

warthog1 wrote:How is the mighty Kaffenback build going? Photos, build thread?
Very slowly. Didn't have much money until this month. Waiting on another rear wheel and parts from c r c which is still not dispatched yet. Depending on how those parts go, I might have to put in another order after that. Hopefully on the road by June. The frame came missing the bottom cable guide and the DT cable guides/adjusters were a different mounting to what I have. I'll post photos in the Don't clean your bike thread once it's done.

How's the Ribble 525 going? Hopefully still crack free.

Causidicus

Postby Causidicus » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:50 pm

Uncle Just wrote:A mechanic on the BNV forum has commented several times that 7900 is not as good when braking due to the hidden cable run.
STI has always had a hidden brake cable run.

macca33

Re:

Postby macca33 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:15 pm

Causidicus wrote:
Uncle Just wrote:A mechanic on the BNV forum has commented several times that 7900 is not as good when braking due to the hidden cable run.

Yep.

OP - it will be the cables need replacing, pure and simple.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

ldrcycles

Re:

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:49 pm

Causidicus wrote:
It's the hidden gear cable run that jiggered things about. I haven't ridden any bikes with the newer shifters but from playing around with them in bike shops the brakes have a noticeably notchy feel compared to shifters with the exposed gear cables.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:47 pm

My bad you are quite correct, brake cables on STI prior to 7900 were hidden. He was referring to the gear changing of 7900. I'll return to shed now and do some penance by rebuilding a 40 spoke wheel.... in the dark.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:55 pm

UJ, Lent finished yesterday - all is forgiven.

Sent from my iPhinger ...
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:12 pm

Nobody wrote:Very slowly. Didn't have much money until this month. Waiting on another rear wheel and parts from c r c which is still not dispatched yet. Depending on how those parts go, I might have to put in another order after that. Hopefully on the road by June. The frame came missing the bottom cable guide and the DT cable guides/adjusters were a different mounting to what I have. I'll post photos in the Don't clean your bike thread once it's done.

How's the Ribble 525 going? Hopefully still crack free.
No worries, look forward to it :)
The Ribble is powering along. I need to finally get that Luxos u to go with my dyno hub front wheel. It will be dark both ends of the day commute soon. Should be able to order in a couple of weeks. Winter school uniforms first and the dishwasher has pooed itself :(

Blame tapatalk
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:43 pm

I set my brakes up left/front, right/rear, as it's a nicer aesthetic setup, and FD/front brake on the left, and RD/rear brake saves confusion in critical, stress provoking situations

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:55 pm

Two of the classiest riders ever. Take your pick on setup.

slian

Postby slian » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:23 pm

Thanks for all the replies, lotsa thought provoking infos for me to digest.

Back to my original issue, seems like general consensus is a change of cable is probably in order. It's the original cabling that came with the bike and been through about 15k in about 2 years of generally fair weather riding with the occasional caught in the shower.

I had a short look around and my next question is, Shimano, Jagwire or Yokozuna :D?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk