Freehub damage - what can be done apart from replace

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Freehub damage - what can be done apart from replace

Postby SmellyTofu » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:31 pm

Just pulled my cassette out of my wheels to do a regrease job and the Shimano cassette takes a nice bite out of the freehubs making it slightly difficult to remove.

Basically looks like this.

Apart from replacing it (which it'd dig another groove in a brand new freehub), what can be done to stop of getting worse.
Last edited by SmellyTofu on Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KGB

Re: Freehub damange - what can be done apart from replace

Postby KGB » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:42 pm

Not much. Shimano never meant for this freewheel design to be made of aluminium for this reason, shimano (branded, not just compatible) use either steel or titanium.
I believe this was the reason behind the deeper splines on the first generation of 10 speed they brought out. Eventually they bowed to the pressure of keeping backwards compatibility and reverted to the shallow splines.

Aftermarket brands don't care so much and are happy to have a wheel/hub with a lighter weight, as well as sell you another freewheel body when this happens.
If your wheel/hub manufacturer makes a steel or ti freewheel body then opt for that.

KGB

Postby KGB » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:45 pm

Or try to find another brand of cassette that has the cogs mounted on a carrier. See how there's no gouging over near the hub side? That's where the bigger cogs are mounted in pairs, on a spider - spreading the force out across the splines more instead of just at the contact point of one cog.

harmonix1234

Postby harmonix1234 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:33 pm

I use tiagra cassettes for this very reason. 8 of the 10 sprockets are on the spider. Only the two smallest sprockets aren't attached. I went through two freehubs in one year on my ZIPPs with my high end sram cassette. Got jack of it and went tiagra. Shifts really well, lasts really well, but the tradeoff is that they are heavy. But hey, who cares about a few grams to get better performance and longeveity from your components. Don't have that problem any more. Try one out.

SmellyTofu

Postby SmellyTofu » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:39 pm

harmonix1234 wrote:I use tiagra cassettes for this very reason. 8 of the 10 sprockets are on the spider. Only the two smallest sprockets aren't attached. I went through two freehubs in one year on my ZIPPs with my high end sram cassette. Got jack of it and went tiagra. Shifts really well, lasts really well, but the tradeoff is that they are heavy. But hey, who cares about a few grams to get better performance and longeveity from your components. Don't have that problem any more. Try one out.
Great tip. I might need to go to Tiagras before they get even worse. (Btw, my question was in regards to Zipp freehubs).

harmonix1234

Re: Freehub damage - what can be done apart from replace

Postby harmonix1234 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:43 pm

Tiagra cassettes are the best kept secret in cycling. Only come in 10 speed though. I can honestly say they shift as well as any cassette I have ever used and I've used red, ultegra, dura ace, xtr. And they last forever, and they are cheap! I am currently stockpiling them so I have a supply incase they ever stop making them.
Last edited by harmonix1234 on Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

harmonix1234

Postby harmonix1234 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:47 pm

Also, the lockring that comes with the tiagras has about twice the thread than my sram cassettes lockrings so you can really wind them on properly. I found that the zipp freehubs were quite short and could only get about one and a half turns of bite on the thread with the old lockrings.

SmellyTofu

Postby SmellyTofu » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:53 pm

I'm actually using an electric rattle gun (used more for car wheel nuts) to do up the cassette locknut now whereas previously I just used a pipe wrench to do up the locknut.

Agree Tiagra is one of cycling's best kept secrets. I started out with a full Tiagra flat bar from 2008 and to this day, no maintenance apart from some occasional wiping and lube, it was super reliable and shifted very cleanly across gears.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:44 pm

you can get clips for this, see viewtopic.php?f=34&t=29626&hilit=dt+fre ... ed&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

aside from that, torque it up right (but I doubt that helps much) its not really an issue until it eats all the way through.

whats the torque on the rattle gun? I'd be more worries about breaking the threads.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:02 pm

Get a steel freehub. Alloy freehubs will so this when used with single sprocket cassettes.

All Shimano hubs come with either steel or Ti hubs and don't have this problem.

I bought a Hope Pro2 EVO hub that came with an alloy hub, but knowing this issue up front I simply ordered the steel freehub and swapped it over. The weight difference is insignificant.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:20 pm

The amount of wear shown is nothing, ensure you torque the lockring to 40Nm when you re-install the cassette.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

geoffs

Postby geoffs » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:56 pm

DT Swiss cassette bodies and shimano cassettes are a bad combination.
American Classic installed a sliver of steel on the edge of one spline to stop this happening.

Rex

Postby Rex » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:18 am

queequeg wrote: I bought a Hope Pro2 EVO hub that came with an alloy hub, but knowing this issue up front I simply ordered the steel freehub and swapped it over. The weight difference is insignificant.
I have Hope Pro Mono RS rear hub and will likely upgrade to steel freehub in the future.
They're about an extra 100g?

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:21 am

Rex wrote:
queequeg wrote: I bought a Hope Pro2 EVO hub that came with an alloy hub, but knowing this issue up front I simply ordered the steel freehub and swapped it over. The weight difference is insignificant.
I have Hope Pro Mono RS rear hub and will likely upgrade to steel freehub in the future.
They're about an extra 100g?
I didn't weigh them both, but I am happy to put both freehubs on the scales tonight and give a definitive answer.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Rex

Postby Rex » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:02 pm

That would be great, cheers

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:26 pm

Rex wrote:That would be great, cheers
Hope Pro 2 EVO Alloy Hub (with bearings, spacer & seal) - 86g
Hope Pro 2 EVO Steel Hub (with bearings, spacer & seal) - 166g

Difference of 80g, which I would say is insignificant. Empty 80ml of water from your bidon if you want the extra 80g back when using the steel hub :-)

Paul

Rex

Postby Rex » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:04 pm

Yep, agreed. Cheers.

SmellyTofu

Postby SmellyTofu » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:33 pm

Zipp don't make steel hub variants. Oh well, Tiagra all the way!

JBark

Postby JBark » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:52 pm

Similar to the steel clips posted earlier, some hub makers offer alloy hubs that have a single steel spline. I picked one of these up when my original freehub failed, and it does what it says. Still a few small marks on the other splines, but nothing compared to the original all alloy hub.
I have a Novatec one that I picked up from here, but I imagine there are others like it:
http://bdopcycling.com/Wheel%20Parts-FR ... %20ABG.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:46 pm

JBark wrote:Similar to the steel clips posted earlier, some hub makers offer alloy hubs that have a single steel spline. I picked one of these up when my original freehub failed, and it does what it says. Still a few small marks on the other splines, but nothing compared to the original all alloy hub.
I have a Novatec one that I picked up from here, but I imagine there are others like it:
http://bdopcycling.com/Wheel%20Parts-FR ... %20ABG.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hey JBark,

Just wondering if you have a Novotec branded wheel or you have some other brand name? I have a Specialized Roval wheel (2012 EL45) with a free hub that looks the same as the one in your photo. I want to convert it to 11 speed, and it has some damage as the OP had on the old 10 speed, so may get the steel spline version. There are several types of this style of freehub from Novotec (A,B,C,D etc), and I don't know how to determine which type were used by Roval. Just wondering if you have any idea how to work that out?

Cheers,

Adrian