Chainrings & cassette combo for Vic Alps climbing

ComradeSpear

Chainrings & cassette combo for Vic Alps climbing

Postby ComradeSpear » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:50 am

Hi all,

I need some assistance in setting the right gearing as I’ll be doing a bit of climbing in the Vic Alps over consecutive days and wanted to have the right rig set up.

My current set up is an Equinox crankset (specs: 172.5 - 53/39T - 130BCD – Q Factor 147mm) working fine against an Ultegra cassette 11-28 with a Dura Ace 7900 RD & FD. I am using a KMC 10 speed chain.

I was thinking of:
Option A: Change the cassette to 12-30 and keep the 53/39 cranks
Option B: Change the chainrings to (50/34) and keep the 11-28 cassette
Option C: Change the chainrings to (50/34) AND the cassette 12-30
Option D: Only change the inner ring from 39 to 34 and keep the big ring at 53
Option D: Suck it up

I am not considering triple cranks at this stage.

Which option do you recommend? And what additonal fine tuning is required for your recommended option? i.e. do I need to get a shorter or longer chain (??), change the RD to longer cage or just finetune the gears for the new set up, etc

Thanks in advance.

mitzikatzi

Re: Chainrings & cassette combo for Vic Alps climbing

Postby mitzikatzi » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:05 am

You can only change a Standard crank set inner chain ring from 39 to 38

No idea how strong a rider you are. I would fit a compact with a 36t inner ring and a 12/28 cassette. That is me. Best for you no idea.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:14 am

I run a mid compact 52/36 (whole Ultegra crankset on Wiggle for around $220) and 11-28 rear. I find this a great compromise for getting up long 15% climbs when I need to and still having the top end when required on the down hills. The 52/36 loses only one tooth from the 53 on the top end (so do not notice much difference at high speeds), but is only 2 teeth worse than a compact 34 for climbing, and when combined with 28 on the rear is better than the standard compact 34-25 low gear.

I run an Ultegra 6800 crankset for my 52/36 which is 11 speed, but it works great with my older Ultegra 6600 10 speed setup. It may be possible to swap the 36 to a 34, but might make FD gear changes a bit messy?

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:20 am

You will have no trouble getting up any of the climbs on 39-28

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:21 pm

Derny Driver wrote:You will have no trouble getting up any of the climbs on 39-28
You appear to know a lot about the OP's ability.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:10 pm

I have not done those Vic climbs but have done similar. I could get up the with a 39-28 and even with 39-25... but it was a lot of trouble. It is still trouble with a 36-28 but not as much. Basically for me, the shorter the gearing, the higher percentage of the time I can spend seated which is my preferred climbing position that I can maintain for a longer time. I have gotten up 15-18% sections of a few kms on a 39-25, but I seriously thought I was going to have to stop and did have to start zig-zagging up the road to sit down for a short break. With the 36-28 it is still hard, but I never feel like I am not going to make it, and mostly feel I can slow it down to give myself a breather if needed (39-25 felt like I was continuously over my limit). Typically I sit for a minute or two on 36-28 and then click it up a couple and stand for a minute minute or two and repeat. Try to stand where it seems steeper and sit where it eases off. I think it depends a lot on the rider and style of climber they are also. I am not the best climber around, but I do OK. Others I ride with seem to coast up some of these climbs on a 39-25 mostly seated. If you can grind at 40-50RPM at 250-300W for a long period, 39-28 will be fine.

Edit - Note: I am assuming by Vic Alpine climbs you are including the likes of the back of Falls creek which I believe includes a long 15% section. If you are talking about more gradual climbs like up Hotham from Bright which are mostly not that steep with a few short 15% pinchs, I think the 39-28 will do you fine.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:33 pm

^^ That all very much depends on age as well. Older riders with many years experience (plenty on here) will tell you of their youthful exploits climbing on 44/19 or similar, and their gradual transition to modern compacts and 28t or more cassettes.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

ComradeSpear

Postby ComradeSpear » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:38 pm

@vosadrian. Yes, I'm heading to falls Creek, Hotham, buffalo and dinner plain. I've done lake mountain on 39-28 and it was ok but since I will be doing 4 consecutive rides, I didn't want to spend my legs after 1 ride; hence, I was looking at preserving my v2 engine :)

I spoke to one LBS today and he said the best thing to do is to change the crankset to a compact.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:54 pm

ComradeSpear wrote:
I spoke to one LBS today and he said the best thing to do is to change the crankset to a compact.
That's a very expensive option.
I take my son and nephew every year to Bright in January and they do all those climbs on consecutive days. Nephew uses a 25 and my son a 26. Sure they are young but there's really nothing there except those pinches on Hotham that would require compacts. If you are worried about the 28 then borrow a 29 or 30 off someone. Unless you are really unfit or overweight ... I don't know. They are long climbs but not that steep, you can sit down and spin up in a 39-28 without burning yourself out.
Anyway, enjoy yourself whatever you decide, young DD just asked me last night if we can go there again this January and take 2 of his mates with him. They ride those climbs all day and play monopoly all night. Its a magic part of the world.

Homo Suburbiensis

Postby Homo Suburbiensis » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:34 pm

How about option E,
Buy a tiagra 4600 compact crankset (50/34) for $80 online and use it for the couple of days you are climbing. Sell it for $50 after you are done.

Total cost = $30

IMO best and cheapest solution unless you are a snob and don't want tiagra to "spoil" your bike :roll:

ComradeSpear

Postby ComradeSpear » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:01 am

@derny driver. Telling me young kids can climb on 25s pumped me up a bit ;). Good stuff mate! I'm not overweight and I'm actually fit. Like I said, I just want to preserve the legs and energy over the 4 days. You see, I'm taking the fam on a break unbeknown to them I have a sneaky plan to climb some mountains :). I need to maintain a level of energy so Mrs spear & the little spears don't give snipy comments ;)

@homo suburbiensis I like option E

How about option A? Keep the STD compact but Change the cassette to 30. Will that work? Or other mods are required? I already have the 30 cassette

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:05 am

Comrade, my roadie has 34-30 (105) and the cyclocross 34-36 (SRAM).

Lookin' after my knees! :-)

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:33 am

Running 50/34 and 30t on the back. Granny gets called when I'm hitting anything above 15% for prolonged periods otherwise a mash is in order. I don't miss the high gear of 53/11t though. I think if you're touring of doing a ride like OPs a 50/11 should suit fine. You're probably got some daypack and not really out to smash records and nail it at maximum limit (and risk) down descents. I do spin out occasionally but like I said, it's only when I am consciously trying to a record of some sort.

I'm a little on the bigger side of life and probably don't rack up as much kms as everyone else (I MTB more than road).
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:49 am

ComradeSpear wrote:@derny driver. Telling me young kids can climb on 25s pumped me up a bit ;). Good stuff mate! I'm not overweight and I'm actually fit. Like I said, I just want to preserve the legs and energy over the 4 days. You see, I'm taking the fam on a break unbeknown to them I have a sneaky plan to climb some mountains :). I need to maintain a level of energy so Mrs spear & the little spears don't give snipy comments ;)

@homo suburbiensis I like option E

How about option A? Keep the STD compact but Change the cassette to 30. Will that work? Or other mods are required? I already have the 30 cassette
You mean keep the standard chainrings and put the 30 cassette on. YES perfect!
Just swap cassettes and change the gears gently and make sure that the 30 cog has clearance on the derailleur. I know a 29 clears on my son's bike, its very tight but it works ok. Others on here say you can use a 30, no mods required. Try it. I think 39-30 would be more than enough.

My son is 18 so I probably shouldnt refer to him as a kid. Nephew is 21. I kiss them goodbye as they ride off from Bright each morning, then hit the bakery and the shops. After that I relax in Cafe velo for an hour or so. After that I drive to the top of the climb and break out the food and jackets for the boys and we have lunch up there. Then I try to keep up with them on the descent :? Maybe Mrs Spear can adopt the same plan with you :P

ComradeSpear

Postby ComradeSpear » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:18 pm

I successfully completed the first ride from Towonga via Towonga gap to Mt buffalo and stop at Bright.... All on a 53/29 cranks with a 28 cassette and with shocking weather: wind, gusts and constant showers. Freezing at the top of Mt buffalo. Next is Mt Hotham and Falls Creek.

I reckon compact cranks would definitely make it easier though.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:57 pm

You've done the steepest 2 climbs already. the other 2 are a piece of cake!
Enjoy :)

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:04 pm

Bright Boot Camp? Is it worth the $$$, would be interested in a bit of a review if you have time.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:30 pm

Derny Driver wrote:You've done the steepest 2 climbs already. the other 2 are a piece of cake!
Enjoy :)
Hotham is longer with far steeper pinches than Towonga or Buffalo...

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:03 pm

danny the boy wrote:Bright Boot Camp? Is it worth the $$$, would be interested in a bit of a review if you have time.
I did it a few years ago, wrote a bit of a review on here in a reply to someone else that was asking if it was good value, I can't find the thread so I'll post again.

It was fun, got to ride up some hills that I hadn't done before and met a heap of like minded folk. The Cycling Inform crew were pretty organised with support vehicles, ride leaders and a mechanic that rode with the bunch. They had seminars after the rides on different topics such as power meters to help you get the most out of your riding.

Was it good value? Probably not from a dollars and cents POV. It was quite expensive, worked out over $1000 for me factoring in interstate travel, accommodation and food. Better value IMO would be to do the the Domestique 7 Peaks Series - http://theclimbingcyclist.com/the-20141 ... is-coming/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Cost is zero $ to enter so you save yourself $574 straight away but you still need to organise accommodation, travel and food.

ComradeSpear

Postby ComradeSpear » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:15 pm

Yesterday, I did Mt Hotham and this morning I rode Falls Creek.

I didn't do the boot camp as I was a solo rider for all rides. I saw a few teams and Cycling Inform groups almost every day though.

I ended doing all the climbs using my current set up 53/39-28. Based on my experience, Mt Buffalo was the hardest... It keeps going on and on with no let up in the gradient till you literally reach the top. Even descending is really technical and there was Heaps of crap due to the inclement weather which made it dangerous.

Mt Hotham.... What a ride. Long and in a few areas there are some serious gradients especially the last 7km; the scenery is amazing and there are variations so you're not in the hurt locket all the way to the top. Descending is fast but not as technical as mt buff. Careful of The Meg on way down... It's a steep gradient with almost a 90 deg bend. Could've been nasty for me but somehow stayed up and didn't crash the barrier.

Falls Creek should be called False Flats. You're ascending even though the road looks flat until you look behind you and you realise you've been climbing. It was hard yakka for me from Half way to the top. I enjoyed descending FC the most. Hopefully action cam worked!!

4 more peaks to go... Buller, dinner plain, Baw Baw and Lake Mountain and I'll stick to my current set up except for Baw Baw.... Compact I think.
Last edited by ComradeSpear on Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:08 pm

ComradeSpear wrote:you're not in the hurt locket
Love it!
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.